Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is The Sleeve Or Lap Band Best For Me?

Hi everyone. I am 5'2" and nearly 200 pounds. Initially I thought I would get the lap band but then started reading about the sleeve. Removing most of your stomach is terrifying, but with the band I will be going for fills and adjustments forever it seems. Is there anyone who can give me an opinion about which might be best for me? Are there more risks with the sleeve? Is the recovery longer? Is the weight loss not as much? I would appreciate any feedback. :)

PLEASE do not get the band !! I just converted to one and its a freaking NIGHTMARE..

Please read my story here .. http://tryingtostayskinnyintexas.blogspot.com/2012/07/day-in-my-life-how-lap-band-affects-me.html

A big thing that scares me about the sleeve is that all the websites say they don't know what the long term effects are. What if you get stomach cancer? Are you just a goner?? I think the unknown long term effects is what scares me most.

I wanted the band for about 5 months into my 6 month insurance required diet. I NEVER wanted the sleeve bc I didn't want major surgery. I wana scared. I joined the lapband forum and.a Facebook forum (which I am still apart of bc they are great people so if u want both sides lemme know and ill add u to the group so u can get both sides of the fence) and got tons of useful info. One thing I did notice was the very slow weightloss among a lot of the.ladies. I'm talking months into the surgery and 20 lbs Max. I hear a lot of people just waiting for up to 6 to 8 months to finally reach the "green zone". One day I watched a video that made me totally change my.mind. I loveee food. The smell .. the taste... and even the thought of it. This video .. made by a dr... who performs both surgeries pointed out... with the lapband you have to restrict yourself and the sleeves basically gives you no choice. Right then I knew which Wat I wanted to go bc I know me. Plus I still haven't.come across a single.person that has a.band have one in for more than 10 years. Well in 10 yrs I'm o.lying gonna be 41 and if u loose the band your stomach goes back to normal and you'll be back to dieting for the rest of your.life. I know whats best for me and I'm confident with my decision. Only you can make the right decision for u

My surgeon is moving away from the band as well. Why not take a look at the band to sleeve part of the forum: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/forum/13-band-to-gastric-sleeve-revisions/ There is a lot of information there that could help with your decision. Also remember the sleeve has been around for a while, it was just previously used as the first step of a two step process (duodenal switch) . Over time it was found that step one was so successful that some did not need the second surgery so it increased in popularity.

Realistically how long should I expect to be out of work with the sleeve? I have a desk job at a bank. Is recovery worse than lap band?

I was also initially going to get the band while on the supervised diet. I researched both and asked my coordinator who makes the choice and how do you pick one or the other. She said it basically comes down 2 things, the band has monthly appointments for adjustments for at least a year and then several times per year. The sleeve is once and done other than a couple of checkups the first year. The main thing I decided for me was I couldn't commit to going to their office 30 miles away each month for at least year due to my work schedule and my kids sports schedules. I also read the failure rate and really didn't want the artificial band in my body for the rest of my life. I was at 226 on surgery day, and am 5'3, so we are close in size, that part doesn't matter, it's based on your BMI and any co-morbidities.

You can't base your decision on what if's like stomach cancer, you need to look at your situation and pick what will work best for you! Please look at the other forum and then here and you should be able to make the decision. I know the sleeve was the best thing for me!

Realistically how long should I expect to be out of work with the sleeve? I have a desk job at a bank. Is recovery worse than lap band?

I was just sleeved last Tuesday and am going back to work this Thursday. I also have a desk job, I probably could have gone back today. The only reason I am waiting is I work for a school and I get tired in the late afternoons before 4:30, but I am also 49. I bounce back from surgery very fast though.

I didnt feel decent (lacking energy and needing lots of naps) until day 7. Then I felt ok. But I was on purée by then too, so I don't know if it would take longer if someone was on liquids still.

DO NOT GET THE BAND. I was banded twice and down to near 100lbs.. Lucky me... NO, I was dead and had to be revived twice amongst the several urgent hospitalizations, monthly blood transfusions and weekly Iron infusions. If you're into death experiences and wasting 100 grand go for it

I understand your hesitations it is a big decision. I had a band for 5 years....basically i lost 28 pounds....well i lost more but gained all but 28 pounds back. With the band I could not eat healthy foods, like chicken, healthy vegetables...what could i eat...things that where bad for me bacause those food melt in your mouth so where just empty calories. The surgery for the lap band to me was nothing...I will admit it has been much harder this time but remember i had a band removed and so there was scar tissue etc. you would not have to deal with. I can already tell for me this is going to be a much better choice. As far as what if you got stomach cancer....well the odds are probably against that but i go to church with a lady who had her stomach removed and she does fine. You can live without it...I dont know you so dont know your spiritual beliefs...if it was me...well it was me i prayed and put it in Gods hands...I dont think you can go wrong with the sleeve the band however I dont recommend as far as personal experience. My doctor also has gotten away from it...just doesnt seem to have a great rate of success...good luck in your decision. :)

I would like to share my lapband experience. I was banded in 2003, at a weight of 245 lb. I initially lost 75 lb in about the first year, but only after several balancing acts that was adjusting. I was either too tight to eat anything solid OR I had little to no restriction. Fast-forward to now, weight is (was) 220 lbs.

Started working with a new doctor. 6 adjustments and 1 EGD later I had enough of the band. I was revised to the sleeve 3 weeks ago (Nov 6).

Re: Risks- The sleeve is a more involved and invasive surgery. This naturally makes the risk of complication higher than the band, at least in the short term. Leaks seem to be the worse complication from the sleeve, but it is very rare. I don't have data to support but I'm pretty sure you are only at risk for a leak for a certain time period after surgery. On the other hand, many complications from the lapband can occur at any time post surgery. Scarring, erosion, slipping, and possible autoimmune response can all be pretty serious.

Re: Recovery- My recovery was longer after the sleeve than wih the band. Of course I was 9 years younger then. After the band I was fine to go back to work after a few days. This time with the sleeve I had 2 full weeks off and then 1 week part time before returning full-time. I know some people can return to work after a few days with the sleeve, I personally did not feel well enough to.

Re: Weight loss not as much?- Thise who are successful with the band can lose down to goal, but is generally slower than with the sleeve. Again looking at the long term, many with the band re-gain, and often end up heavier than when they started. Not sure about statistics with gaining back after the sleeve, but I would guess it is not as much.

The band does work for some but unfortunately does fail many times. Do all the research you can, connect with people from both "sides" and see what you feel is the best choice.

Good luck on your journey!