Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Verses Rny - Friend Pleading That I Shouldn't Get Sleeve

Here is what I kept from another poster about this subject. Makes me happy I choose the sleeve, although I did consider other options. Went in for a band but doc suggested VSG. What? Never heard of that. Did my research and as my title states...love my sleeve, no regrets.

"I could have easily had RNY, but I fought to have VSG as my revision from the band. Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) RNY - 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. This process is called adaptation, and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries.

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with Vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers,

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me. That was my thought process when I got the band, and I thought I could beat the odds on complications. Sadly, the band only lasted 8 months before I had to revise.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of Cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of Cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. The big scare for me is medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a NO GO for life with a RNY pouch. I realize that I may never be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is possible. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind, and I was not willing to take that risk.

I lost all my weight in my ticker with the exception of 7lbs with the sleeve, and I did it in 10.5 months. The 115lbs fell off the first 6.5 months, and then the rest I lost as I was getting into maintenance over another 4 months.. It's been a fabulous journey, and I'm easily maintaining with zero issues for nearly a year at this point. I want to add that every WLS regardless of your choice will require discipline. Only a percentage of RNY patients dump on sugar/fat, pouches and stomas stretch, then you have the medication restrictions. I'm not trying to convince you, but these were my concerns when I knew I had to revise from the band.

Again, this is not me, but I couldn't have said it better. Again, I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

Best wishes to you in what ever you decide is right for you!

I researched the three possible procedures RNY , sleeve and the lap band. Well the sleeve won. Noone was going to touch my pluming I felt that was not an option for me. The dumping syndrome was not something I ever wanted to happen as well. The lap band was not an option for me when I realized hello foreign body in my body not !! They discussed possible erosion over the band all the crap you have to go through with adjustments. People out eat their bands eat and then just throw up so that was a no no. The sleeve was the best option. But with all of these surgeries you can always gain back that is up the the person if they let that happen. A sleeve is not reversible but anyone down the road can stretch out thei pouch just fill your self with carbs they sit in your stomach take longer to digest and your stomach will be big enough again to become obese again. So for me medically sleeve was the best choice. But long term you can always gain back with any procedure if you return to the bad habits that got us here in the first place. The recovery is faster with a sleeve I love mine. Weight loss I think is not that bad I am at 4 1/2 months and I have lost 52 lbs no bad I think. I have an awful knee just had my fourth surgery so I have not even been able to exercise yet ! I could only imagine what it would have been if I could have exercised. Well good luck with your decision.

1st off I'm sorry I've been MIA!! It's been a crazy road to say the least!

To make a long story short : My dr ended up breaking off from the group he was with and started his own practice with another dr. So....I got caught up in all that :( I could have just had my surgery by a dr in the 1st group but really wanted the dr I've been working with all along. The old office wasn't sending ANY info over from any of the patients that followed him so we all had to basically start over again with everything. I had to go meet the surgeon again and he had to make his notes on which surgery was best for me....still the Sleeve :) I had to call around to the Psyco and Nutri Dr to have my paperwork faxed to new office. Also had to get recommendation letter sent to that office as well.

At this point I JUST got approval today for the surgery :) I'm waiting to hear from the nurse as to what the date will be for surgery and to make my pre - op apt.

I'm very excited! The dr really helped to sooth my fears when I saw him the 2nd time. I took my mom on the 2nd apt with me so she and my dad could get a better idea at what I"m doing. Hubby went on the 1st apt with me. I was hoping I'd get more support from my parents of she could actually talk to the surgeon and understand everything. They seem to be better with the idea. My mom also told me on the way up to the DR that she had just been told she's diabetic :o My dad is too!!! I'm really hoping this encourages them to do something with their health! I'd love to see them both have this surgery but we'll see what happens with time and after they see how I succeed :)

Soon I'll be starting this 2 week diet before surgery. What should I expect????

Thank you so much for all your support!!!!!!! I'm sure I'll be a VERY regular poster before long ;)

To make a long story short : My dr ended up breaking off from the group he was with and started his own practice with another dr. So....I got caught up in all that :( I could have just had my surgery by a dr in the 1st group but really wanted the dr I've been working with all along. The old office wasn't sending ANY info over from any of the patients that followed him so we all had to basically start over again with everything. I had to go meet the surgeon again and he had to make his notes on which surgery was best for me....still the Sleeve :) I had to call around to the Psyco and Nutri Dr to have my paperwork faxed to new office. Also had to get recommendation letter sent to that office as well.

At this point I JUST got approval today for the surgery :) I'm waiting to hear from the nurse as to what the date will be for surgery and to make my pre - op apt.

I'm very excited! The dr really helped to sooth my fears when I saw him the 2nd time. I took my mom on the 2nd apt with me so she and my dad could get a better idea at what I"m doing. Hubby went on the 1st apt with me. I was hoping I'd get more support from my parents of she could actually talk to the surgeon and understand everything. They seem to be better with the idea. My mom also told me on the way up to the DR that she had just been told she's diabetic :o My dad is too!!! I'm really hoping this encourages them to do something with their health! I'd love to see them both have this surgery but we'll see what happens with time and after they see how I succeed :)

Thank you so much for all your support!!!!!!! I'm sure I'll be a VERY regular poster before long ;)

Congrats!! :) I'm glad the Dr transition worked out fairly well. I had an issue with sharing paperwork, & it was just between my PCP & the NUT she referred me to! Oiy. Glad it's over. I'm currently 6 days away from surgery & the liquid diet is ok... It's hard but not impossible. Just stay focused & it will all work out. :)

mwrarr - Thanks for the support! Wow... you only have a couple more day to go! How do you handle the idea of the surgery? I've had a lot of surgeries in my lifetime but this one is freaking me out!! I'm freaking out about what they do during the surgery :/ Just a weird thought!

mwrarr - Thanks for the support! Wow... you only have a couple more day to go! How do you handle the idea of the surgery? I've had a lot of surgeries in my lifetime but this one is freaking me out!! I'm freaking out about what they do during the surgery :/ Just a weird thought!

I've had 15 months of waiting to help me handle it lol otherwise I'd probably be kinda crazy right now. I watched videos of the actual surgery on YouTube, & that helped a lot, truthfully. I also keep a blog, & that's been good for mental vomiting. Haha you'll do fine! :)

I had a high freak out factor too. Took me FOREVER to finally just do it. I think the 2 years i spent wrestling with the decision was some of the " work" I needed to do.

I've had 15 months of waiting to help me handle it lol otherwise I'd probably be kinda crazy right now. I watched videos of the actual surgery on YouTube' date=' & that helped a lot, truthfully. I also keep a blog, & that's been good for mental vomiting. Haha you'll do fine! :)[/quote']

Welcome back i am pretty new to this board but followed your thread since i to have the rny vs vsg battle. Even though I'am 95% sure i want the sleeve!!

Njgurl : Glad this thread helped :-) I am 100% sure I want the sleeve over RNY now. Now I'm battling the jitters :-P

Cowgirl~ I'm still nervous but know its not getting any better on its own...so here I am just waiting ona date..yikes :-D

Njgurl : Glad this thread helped :-) I am 100% sure I want the sleeve over RNY now. Now I'm battling the jitters :-P

Cowgirl~ I'm still nervous but know its not getting any better on its own...so here I am just waiting ona date..yikes :-D

When are you due to be sleeved?

Key in what you said - she had her surgery "several years ago", when the sleeve surgery was very new and unproven. I think the sleeve has been becoming more popular with surgeons as it is proving to be statistically nearly as effective as rny, but with far fewer complications and potential problems down the line.

Is the RNY gastric bypass? I don't know anything about the other wls because I know 2 people who had the sleeve and were very successful. I knew that's what I wanted!

Nicol ~ Yes...rny is gastric bypass.

Chris ~ You are right! I thought the same thing!

Njgurl ~ Waiting on nurse to call with my date. In April...thats all I know so far :-)