Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico Complications?

I read alot about complications on this forum in general, but mostly from those with Dr's in the US. Has anyone whose done their sleeve in MX had leaks, complications, etc?

Not saying the good old USA isn't up to par, but I find it a bit odd that most of those are not from the one place that everyone freaks out about.

I am pro-Mexico, can you tell? lol

I would love to hear both sides about MX and not just the good, from those who have actually had it there!! I am not talking about experiences with coordinators, etc. Just complications.

Thanks!!

I'm still pre-op, so this isn't exactly an answer to your question, but one thing that comforts me about my decision to go to MX is that the surgery has been approved and performed there longer than it has in the US. I know there are great docs here and there (and not-so-great) and there are many reasons that may be unrelated to the doc's skill that would cause complications to arise, but it is one small thing that makes me feel better.

I had my sleeve surgery on Nov 13 , in the U.S . I hope that you don't take this the wrong way because this is just my opinion and speaking as a mexican . I would have never conciderd having my surgery in Mexico because ............

They are not regulated like the U.S

Many lousy Doctors that can't work in the States ,go seeking clients there.

The recovery for some patients is in a Hotel with a nurse ( Not a hospital).

Even famouse Mexican actresses have been victims of Doctors in mexico and have died.

Remember : " You get what you pay for ".

Thanks for your reply, but I am looking for people who have had their surgery in Mexico. I don't want to turn this thread into an argument on why we choose what we do :)

Coolmama - I saw a discussion on this topic just recently in the Complications Forum.

I am scheduled for January sleeve in TJ Mexico. Seems I talk myself out of it at least once a day, but not because it's in Mexico.

All the best to you.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Had surgery in MX in July 2012. Can't report any complications only a first class experience.

I had my surgery in Mexico as well. I did not have any complications. While leaks and complications can happen to anyone with any surgeon, most of the surgeons in Mexico have performed this surgery many more times than most of the surgeons in the United States. I think that one of the reasons that US surgeons may have more complications is because they have less experience performing the surgery.

I think the reason you see most of the complications from US surgeons is bc most of the people on these boards have their surgery in the US, not in MX.

I had my surgery in MX and didn't have any complications. If you contact any doctor anywhere and they say they haven't had any patients with complications they are most likely lying. It's just not possible. Complications will happen anywhere.

I had my surgery with Dr Kelly in March. Stayed 3 nights in the hospital, 2 nights in a luxury hotel. Both Dr Kelly and his then assistant Trish checked on me in person multiple times during the days I was at the hotel. Couldn't have been better.

I'm living in Chicago and I will be having my sleeve done in Mexico 2/2013 Dr Garcia I hope to get some info on this too keep me posted if you find out information on complications Mexico

I had my sleeve done in Mexico on November 8th. I couldn't have been happier with the level of service I got, I was at a real hospital, with a real experienced surgeon that has probably done more sleeves than most doctors in the US. My recovery has been extremely easy too.

I had my surgery in Mexico. No complications. I think it's partially because of the three leak tests Dr Aceves does before we are discharged home. Also staying in the hospital for three days with nurses 24/7 made me feel that even if something happened, I would have medical care right outside my door. Also, Dr Aceves (and many of the other surgeons in Mexico) has done more sleeves than all the Vegas surgeons combined. I felt safer in his hands than if I had surgery here.

One thing I always encourage people to think about when considering surgery in Mexico (btw, I am not against it, just trying to help you cover bases..): What about legal recourse? If surgeon here botches surgery, you can hold him to it legally. In Mexico, they can hang up the phone and pretend they don't know you. I'm sure they are more upstanding than that, but I'm just saying they COULD do that and you've got no leg to stand on. It's JUST something to think about...If someone knows information contrary to this, I'm sure it would be helpful to all thinking about surgery there. I hope whomever you choose, it all goes perfectly. :)