Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Care In The Us

So, my family is really concerned with my after care in the US. What if I have some kind of life threatening complication, would they still treat me here even though I went to Mexico for my surgery? I keep telling them that I don't think they can deny me because of that?? Or can they??

You can always go to the ER and care will not be denied. In addition, your insurance may cover complications, but just not the surgery.

No hospital would deny you because you had surgery elsewhere. You may find that some surgeons don't want to take you on due to their own case loads, but for emergency care you would be fine.

I plan to talk to my PCP before I leave for surgery to see if she is able/willing to be responsible for my after care--even without complications, somebody has to order my blood work, right? If she can't/won't, I'll find someone who will. And, as already mentioned, in case of emergency, the hospital (ER) cannot turn you away.

I plan to talk to my PCP before I leave for surgery to see if she is able/willing to be responsible for my after care--even without complications' date=' somebody has to order my blood work, right? If she can't/won't, I'll find someone who will. And, as already mentioned, in case of emergency, the hospital (ER) cannot turn you away.[/quote']

I met with my PCP recently to let him know what my intentions were, get as medically prepared as possible preop, and see if he supported my decision and would continue my care postoperative. He is supportive.

And we cannot be denied emergency treatment, but our insurance may not cover it. That may change once the new healthcare laws go into effect in 2014.

Amanda Rae

Well if anyone know a PCP in the NJ/Philly area that accepts MX patients, please let me know. I just relocated to the area and need a PCP.

I have already been sleever (a revision from the band) I did not tell my doc ahead of time, but did tell him upon my return. He had no problem ordering my labs.

I am wondering about this... it's on my "stuff to figure out list"

My Dr. would seriously not have a freaking clue what to order.. no joke. I was telling him I was going to go to Mexico to do this last week, he was surprisingly on board with it. I was telling him I was going to do the sleeve instead of bypass and he just said "ya I have no idea"

I have heard from someone I know who had it done in the states at my work say the tests are pretty specific for post op.. what would you do if your dr has no idea? (Getting another Dr. isn't an option here, you are lucky if you have one, there are 30,000+ people in a city of 110,000 who don't have one)

I am wondering about this... it's on my "stuff to figure out list"

My Dr. would seriously not have a freaking clue what to order.. no joke. I was telling him I was going to go to Mexico to do this last week' date=' he was surprisingly on board with it. I was telling him I was going to do the sleeve instead of bypass and he just said "ya I have no idea"

I have heard from someone I know who had it done in the states at my work say the tests are pretty specific for post op.. what would you do if your dr has no idea? (Getting another Dr. isn't an option here, you are lucky if you have one, there are 30,000+ people in a city of 110,000 who don't have one)[/quote']

I asked the surgeon I plan to go to in Mexico. :) basically, I sent my coordinator and he both an email and asked, when post-op, what are some of the tests that need to be done periodically? :)

I asked the surgeon I plan to go to in Mexico. :) basically, I sent my coordinator and he both an email and asked, when post-op, what are some of the tests that need to be done periodically? :)

Awesome :) that's what my plan was right now too, but didn't know if there was a standard list floating around out there somewhere