Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Had Surgery, Now What?

Hello everyone,

I had surgery on 9/5/12. On 9/10/12, it was discovered that I had a leak. I underwent emergency surgery, stayed in the hospital for 2 weeks and was on a feeding tube for 7 weeks total. During this ordeal, I lost a total of 30lbs. I have not loss anything since. I dont work out because I still have very little energy. I dont eat very much at all, but I am not losing anymore weight. My body still aches, but I was told that I am still healing from the trauma of 2 major surgeries back to back. I am getting discouraged because I hope I didn't put my body through this for 30lbs. I am posting this topic in hopes of hearing any similar stories or suggestions that may help me. My sw was 314 and I am currently 284. Thank you for any help you can provide.

While I never experienced a leak, I can only imagine that after two major surgeries, its going to take your body a while to get back up and running again while it's healing. I would give it a good month or so until you can begin getting back to a more normal schedule and see how you are doing.

Hi there, I am so sorry that you had complications. I'm sure this is not it for you. Your body does have to adjust and heal. Just be patient. Easy for me to say, I know. But stick with your plan and it will work.

You'll hear from a bunch of experienced sleevers, I'm sure they will be able to ease your mind.

Good luck and feel better soon!

I have seen a few people on here go through some pretty long, drawn out messed up complications. They, in time, did heal, recover and move on with the weight loss. Some more patience (if you have any left) will be required.

Just continue being diligent, and take small, slow walks for just a few minutes each day, building time and speed little by little as you get your energy back. The exercise daily is VERY key to this whole thing. Getting enough Protein is also key for your energy. If your calories are low, then a LOT of them need to come from Protein.< /p>

Iggychick, Jasleeve and MeMeMEEE are a few that have been through the wringer and have come out the other side. Jasleeve may be hard to get a hold of though, but there is a mile long thread with her story. Iggychick is still getting through it, but i believe getting better. They may be of some encouragement to you.

OH you wanted to lose weight and have this surgery???? Silly....

(I can be sarcastic...I've been down your road my dear). Let me just say first, I'm sorry you are suffering! I was down for just under two months, 22 days of that in the hospital having my lungs drained and a second surgery five weeks after the first. My first surgery was aug 23 and the second sept 28. I GAINED 40lbs going through much of what you did. TPN feedings, tube feedings etc. Weight gain and retention after such a major struggle is normal because your body is holding onto all of those extra fluids just in case it needs to protect itself again. I saw that gain slowly drop a few weeks after I got out of the hospital (Oct 6th) and then after that I took some dramatic losses as it finally decided I was going to be ok and the retention gave up it's battle. :) I'm down half of my goal weight (over 40lbs) loss now, just over six weeks after I returned home, but I was told it could take up to four months for my body to normalize again, so I was actually lucky.

Unfortunately due to the trauma you have the same issue. But I assure you, it will go away. You're still too weak to get much movement I'm sure and likely you are in early stages of food I'd guess? Just like the healing, you have to give it a bit more time than anyone who went a more "normal" recovery route.

My battle was hell and frankly I was just happy to come out alive. Weight loss is a bonus :) Right now I'd just focus on getting in all of your Protein so you heal properly this time, and your fluids, and rest as much as you need. You'll find you will see those pounds go away as your energy increases, but don't push it. You have been through the wringer, let your body rest!

Take care!!!

Thank you for your responses. It is so difficult when you feel like your are NOT the normal one that had the surgery. You hear such great results and then you look at your own scenario and wonder are you the failure. Thank you Iggychick for your words as you have been down a rocky road and understand what I am dealing with. I am so glad this group is available.

Thanks Iggychic! you are inspiring even though I'm not going through those probs. I was moved by your post.

Oh Joe thanks :) I am happy to read when someone hasn't gone down this road! It's not something you'd wish on your worst enemy...ok well maybe my ex SIL...umm no no one :P

MZ you aren't alone, but I know how you feel about that. It sucked to feel I was continually going down hill when everyone else who had the surgery when I did was rocking! Every day I would get weaker and weaker and the doctor would just say "wait...wait" and I'd get worse and worse! Thank god I stood up for myself and finally moved onto a new doctor who figured out it wasn't the internal bleeding causing the problem (yes I was lucky and had that complication too LOL) but a leak! Unfortunately my tissue was a mess so it was not an easy one to fix. I'm fortunate. It looks like when I go in for my final testing on the 26th I'll be pronounced "OK" with no further surgery (I should have symptoms if it wasn't holding by now they think).

Is your leak fully repaired???? That was sort of a turning point for me. I went from being a basket case to feeling SO MUCH better (not 100% but at least 50% which I hadn't been since the first surgery) after the fix. But the energy is still an issue for me. You can't lay on your bum for weeks and just pop back to life. I still have weakness that hits me on occasion, so again, take it easy :) And no more leaks!!!! :) Iggys Orders!

Iggy did did you have a leak five weeks out or that's how long it took the doc to fix it? When did you discover your leak? I'm a little over two weeks out and a leak is my biggest fear!!

At 2 weeks out, it was discovered that I had a small absess with a leak. I spent 17 days in the hospital with no food or fluids going into my stomach. I was fed TPN through a PICC line and gained weight during my stay. I went from feeling like I was on top of the moon before surgery, to feeling like I was actually going to do this after surgery, to going downhill for two weeks after surgery, to passing out, being weak, not being able to eat or drink much of anything and internal pain by the time I was admitted into the hospital...on my birthday. After numerous tests throughout my hospital stay, the leak partially closed and my idiot doctors (not my surgeon) felt I should just go home and eat, hoping the rest of the leak would heal in time. But if I get sick again, just come back. Horrible advice, in my opinion and the opinion of my surgeon, but thankfully I have not been back to emergency and I seem to get better as time goes on. I still worry daily. It been about 3 weeks since I've been out. But I lost the weight I gained and then some. Stay strong. My story may not be as bad as yours but I do know some of the struggles you are going through. I spent a majority of my days worried I was going to die and crying more than I thought possible. I now thank God for helping on this journey, for bringing me back to my family (I have a 5 month old baby girl) and for the 40 lbs I've lost so far. ((((hugs))) to you and everyone else who's had complications.

Iggy did did you have a leak five weeks out or that's how long it took the doc to fix it? When did you discover your leak? I'm a little over two weeks out and a leak is my biggest fear!!

It was likely from the start, possibly from the seizures I had for 24 hours after the surgery due to internal bleeding and a hematoma that was left in my abdomen. I had symptoms from the beginning (after surgery) but they were dismissed as being an issue from the hematoma (which was wrong). The leak caused my esophagus to swell which hid the leak and also caused my plural sac to crush my lungs, so they were trying to deal with the lung issue which had become life threatening. Since it wouldn't stop (swelling etc) they had to do multiple tests to finally find the leak, then because the tissue was so badly damaged they had to figure out what to do because they didn't expect any normal repair to be successful. So...it was five weeks before the leak was repaired. It was discovered maybe at 4? I must admit to being a little bit out of it during that time :)

The most likely time for a leak to be discovered is during the first weeks, but the danger extends beyond that to another sort of safe period of six weeks, then rarely but still possible, three months. This is why your diet is so conservative and you have lifting restrictions for the first six weeks typically. Leak symptoms are fairly obvious and include a low fever, shoulder pain on the left, and nausea (though I did not have that symptom) weakness and likely a general feeling that something isn't right. I asked for a leak test several times in the first weeks and the docs said it was not necessary as my issues were due to the hematoma. Learn from me...if you have symptoms, a test is much easier than the alternative of weeks of pain and suffering and possible death. Insist, don't ask, it's a few hundred dollars for a barium swallow. Cheap money compared to my half a mill in bills!

That is so crazy!!! I'm sorry you had to go through that, Iggy. I'm glad you're doing better.