Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's talk Halloween!

Let's talk about Halloween!

Are you going to a party? Staying home handing out candy? How about dressing up? A favorite Halloween memory? What are your kids dressing as? What treats will you give out? Going to any carnivals or Haunted Houses?

Here...we will stay home and hand out candy, and wait for the grandbabies to come by!!! I have a friend who has a birthday on Halloween and for years we did a party...sometimes I miss that!! We had such fun!

Hope everyone stays safe and has lots of fun!!!

Kat

Halloween let me see. I usually carve some pumpkins and give out 5 HUGE bowls of candy to our hordes of Trick or Treaters. We ran out of candy one year and had to close our gates and turn off our lights. LOL!!

We get usually anywhere from 100 to 200 kids. Loads of fun.

DH and I both have to work the night shift that night, but I will handing out goodies to the trick or treaters. We have the inside and outside of house decorated and we are having an adult costume party the Saturday night prior to Halloween. I will be snapping photos to share.

Our church does a Trunk or Treat on the Saturday before Halloween, and we always participate. Then, on the holiday itself, we hand out candy and/or take the little ones around our neighborhood.

I usually made my kids costumes. One year my middle son was the Hulk. I used green food coloring. Did you know that food coloring does not wash off with soap and Water?

I have made some awesome costumes over the years. I will dig out some pictures and post them.

I love Halloween. In our area the kids come at night on halloween, it is so much fun. I decorate the yard, have pumkins carved and stuff hanging in the trees. I chalk paint big monster feet walking up the driveway to the front door (the little ones totally get a kick out of that). We got the huge cat that they walk underneath - it has strobe lites and spooky music (some of the littles ones really dont like that too much). My favorite part is this nasty huge spide I have that i bought years ago. I wedge it into cracks around the door so the kids have to actually put their hands right over this huge spider to ring the doorbell. It just cracks me up. they have quite the conversation about who is gonna ring the bell. Its funny. I used to dress up but had too many complaints from the parents about the little kids so I have stopped that. I have to resort to halloween socks and a nail sticking out of my neck or something minor like that. Yeah... halloween is great!

We are brand new in our neighborhood so I don't know what to expect from the trick or treaters. I know that school is doing a parade around the block and I am hosting a halloween party for 22 kids in my dd's class after the parade. We are making a craft and playing games. I am taking dd trick or treating, and dh is handing out candy. DD is going as a punk rock pirate, I will post pics when she finally tries it on. ~Mandy

ah, yes Halloween - October 31 - it is my anniversary!!!

My honey and I got married and then left the church and went trick or treating down the street. It was so much fun.

My three kids will go around our neighborhood on Sunday. I love the houses about 1 block down, they not only try to out do each other with the most halloween decor BUT for trick or treating, the have hot dogs and koolaid for the children and beverages available for adults....hmmmm seems we always go back for seconds.

Have a great halloween !!! I know I will.

Tracy

We love Halloween and fall is our favorite time of the year. We are making the boys costumes as we usually do and taking them trick-or-treating. Last year, our youngest refused to go up to the doors so his big brother asked for candy for him and put it in his pumpkin at the sidewalk. You never know what your going to get with kids.

Need some ideas for costumes this year. We're kind of behind the 8-ball. Any suggestions?

Here's some pics from years past.

post-205970-13813134513592_thumb.jpg

post-205970-13813134513965_thumb.jpg

post-205970-13813134513807_thumb.jpg

post-208113-13813134201682_thumb.jpg

post-208113-13813134201789_thumb.jpg

post-208113-13813134202051_thumb.jpg

We block off our street, haul out the grills, bring food, all the neighbors party and at the end of the street we meet the kids and pass out candy. It's a fun time, we always look forward to it here. :) :) :) :Banane10:

My memories of Halloween are mixed with a German tradition (military brat stationed in Germany for 5 yrs) called Martinstag; Martinstag was celebrated as the end of the harvest season (thanksgiving). For workers and the poor it was a time when they had a chance to enjoy some of the bounty and get a few crumbs from the nobles' table. Today in many parts of Europe the feast is still celebrated by processions of children with candle-lit lanterns. Sometimes their parents Celebrate with them by lighting a bonfire. Later in the evening, they make or buy lanterns to carry through the streets, sing songs in small groups and go door to door to collect candy or other treats. There are also people dressed as Witches and they run between the groups of people screeching and pretending to fly around on rustic looking brooms.

The lanterns are made by tearing pieces of tissue paper and applying them with glue to a balloon. Pop the balloon, attach a wire as a handle and tie it to a stick. Add candle. Believe it or not, we carried these lanterns with a lit candle through the streets (no traumatic burn stories to report). As a nod to my past, I’ve made about 50 lanterns each with its own candle (tea light candles are the safest) and hang them (fishing line) at various heights from the eaves. Once it’s dark, the tea light candles glow look like pumpkins floating around the door. I’ll post a pic after Halloween; it’s really kind of neat. Makes for a Spooktacular sight!

St_martins_image.gif

My granddaughter, Emily, the year she was two. I made her "angel gown" and bought the accessories. Just prior to Halloween her mother brought her over so I could take the hem on her costume. "Come here, Emily, and try this on," I said.

"No!" said Emily.

"Yes!" said I. "Come here and try on your angel gown."

"I not no angel!" said Emily.

Truer words were never spoken!

post-204296-13813134205596_thumb.jpg

Jack the ghost of halloween, past present and future will visit you very soon. You must see the light, or dark as the case may be. Halloween is the most fun time of year. What other time can you dress up and beg for candy and no one look at you funny. ~Mandy

A couple I work with have a big halloween party every year, and people go all out on their costumes. This year I'm going to be an elderly geisha with white face paint, a geisha wig complete with chopsticks with tassels and my chinese robe I bought for an incredible amount of money in England. I got some little Chinese brocade shoes since I figured I couldn't walk in the geisha shoes and I'll wear some white support socks for hose since geisha wear white socks. It should be fun dressing up. I always love dressing up on Halloween. I once griped about New Yorkers who were dressing like lumberjacks at the time and he said that people like to pretend they are someone else. It was a good point. So this year I'll pretend I'm a geisha.

When I was little, we went all over our end of town trick or treating. We had a couple who cooked hot dogs in their garage and everyone went there. We used to fill up big grocery bags with candy, popcorn balls, apples and all sorts of good stuff. We loved it. Our parents never went with us. It's sort of a shame that parents have to chaperone now but the kids still get a lot of candy and goodies and a good time is had by all.

I don't get many kids in our neighborhood. We used to get oodles, but they built a new subdivision next to us so the kids go to the rich people's houses and not ours anymore. We live out in the country in a small subdivision so the country kids used to come here. But I buy a bag of assorted candy and give each kid about 5 pieces so I won't eat them myself. It's a shame we don't get more kids these days.:D