Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Can't Stick To The 2 Week Pre-Op :)

Has anyone else had this happen? I know I will physically be able to stick with it once my stomach is swollen but should I back out of surgery because I can't keep food out of my mouth until then? I'm so disappointed in myself! I didn't mean to put a smiley face in the topic!!! it should have been :(

im on day seven of pre op liquids.

ive eaten three teaspoons of Peanut Butter some chicken i found in the broth

pudding and one mini candy bar

im not proud but it is what is is. im down 8.5lbs have 8 more to go with 9 days left. ive heard the Peanut Butter isnt terrible bc of hte Protein, and i feel like if i need to eat something thats where i need to go bc at least im getting Protein.< /p>

today i drank Decaf coffee with splenda and sugar free creamora. i drank a small glass of gingerale (my stomach was extremely upset and since i couldnt do cracks i had to do something) a serving of sf lime Jello and a teaspoon of peanut butter....thats it. i cant get down Protein shakes anymore i heave when i try. i gotta figure out something for protein tonight myself.

i hope this makes you feel better. honestly these all liquid diets are unrealistic when youre stomach is regular sized and you are hungry.

im a band to sleeve conversion so ive been thru this before as an added bonus lol

It depends on what your surgeon says, honestly. Talk with them (or the team if you're going to a center) and let them know what your challenges are and ask for help. That's what they're there for. Mine had a couple different plans depending on your starting BMI. You were either on shakes and a meal or all shakes and veggies once a day.

Yes, it's easier once the stomach is smaller, but post-sleeve (at least mine) came with a whole lot of things I have to follow, too. It's not like VSG was a magic wand for not having to try any more. You can get sleeved and still sabotage yourself out of success.

My big incentive was the knowlege that if I screwed up my pre-op diet, the only person I could blame for not getting the surgery was me. They're not joking about that whole "call off the surgery if it's not safe to perform" thing and I thought that would just be too much humiliation if my surgery was called on account of me not being able to keep foods out of my mouth for two weeks.

That is really good advice. I have to remember I am the one that wanted this. I guess I was hoping that even if I didn't follow the pre op diet I could still get surgery and go full force from there. Horrible huh? I need to buck up and do this!!

It's difficult, but you can do it. Remember, none of us would be in a place where we'd be taking this step if we didn't all really, REALLY love food, so everyone here can sympathize and understand.

You can also look at the pre-op diet as a way to reset your brain some too. By sticking to the pre-op diet's limitations, once you DO get to eat something else after surgery - it doesn't seem like deprivation. Knowing that the reason for the pre-op diet was to shrink my liver to reduce the chance of the surgeon nicking it helped me to stay on track.

Some of it depends on how much you want it.

My boss's wife did a 9 month medically supervised diet and lost 150 lbs. She has kept it off for several years now. That is 9 months of nothing but liquid.< /p>

did you surgeon explain the risks of your liver being too large for surgery? although i cheated a few times, it was only with high Protein things, no carbs or real sugar.

i always kept the thought in the back of my mind of my surgery being completely open which scared me into eating good. it is challenging but it is a great boost, i lost 12 pounds on mine alone and it was only for 10 days. i would say continue trying don't give up so easily :) i am post op 5 days and although i am on liquids, i still want to chew, and eat real food but its all about the will power as well. good luck to you!

Thank you....I have cheated 2 times and am on day 5. I still have 9 days to go so I will stay strong. The thought of something going wrong with my surgery scares me to death. Thank you all for the words.

That is really good advice. I have to remember I am the one that wanted this. I guess I was hoping that even if I didn't follow the pre op diet I could still get surgery and go full force from there. Horrible huh? I need to buck up and do this!!

You can do this it isn't as hard as at seems. :*) Keep in mind that it will all be worth it in the end. My pre surgery diet was 2 Protein shakes a day and chicken salad for dinner or smart ones meals. Distract yourself so you don't think about food. You can do it.

You can do this! try eating something like sugar free popsicles or another good Protein Drink with a lite fruit in it when you want to cheat. It is sooo worth it. 5 months out- 80 lbs.