Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressed, I Need Your Support

i have been doing really good ive lost 30lbs in 8 weeks i eat what i am suppose to do, i even started working out. why do i feel so sad this always happen to me when im losing weight its like i set myself up for failure or something. i can be doing good and instantly at times i get this ugly feeling of i will not reach goal i will not lose weight, this isnt going to work. i felt really good yesterday. i had a normal morning ate Breakfast, went to the store, came home cleaned out a cabinet, fixed my food for the day, and showered got dressed for work and thats where i am now. and i feel like crap i ate clean today and worked out so i should feel upbeat. PLEASE talk to me i need my fellow sleevers right now.

Hey NewGrandmother! I have suffered from depression for a long time. I have been in treatment for it and it has made a huge difference in my life. When you lose wt estrogen is released from your fat cells. I would go and talk to your primary care doc. He can draw blood and check your hormone levels. I also might talk about your symptoms and see if he has any suggestions. I see a social worker myself and it helps a lot. Please don't be afraid to ask for help. You don't have to feel this way! Dee

I have had some issues like this lately. I'm in my 7th week and have only lost 30 lbs. I have been stalling a lot lately. This week I've had to work until really late at night so haven't been exercising. I guess that is why so many people say that this is a mental and emotional process as well as a physical one.

I try to reassure myself that my clothes fit better and I'm healthier, but that only goes so far.

I really don't know what to say to help you feel better, other than you aren't alone in how you feel. We have some internal growth going on, which isn't comfortable and feels very unfamiliar. We need to develop new skills, new internal dialogues, new ways to handle our perceptions about food. You can't go eat a pint of ice cream or pizza to cheer yourself up anymore. Something needs to replace food used for comfort.

When I was grocery shopping today, not looking at the cakes, not looking at the chocolate, not looking at bread, etc., I had that same thing playing in my mind. I'm a failure. Why am I doing this. This will never work. After you have been on 20-30 diets that have failed, we have "learned" from experience that anything we do fails. That isn't the case with the sleeve, though. We are fortunate that the medical field has finally recognized obesity as a medical problem. We have a great tool that helps us to use moderation in our food consumption, even when our choices aren't perfect.

Find some things that you enjoy or try out some new things to fill the empty spots. Be gentle with yourself. Try changing the voice inside your head to be positive instead of beating yourself up or defeating you.

You are not alone!!!

Depression is very common after WLS. Just because your day looks good doesn't mean that you will feel good. When I don't have the extra food I don't know what kinds I feelings will rise up. Who knows how you ate supposed to feel. All I an do today is accept where I am at and pray for guidance. I hope you know that you have people who care.

40 thank you i too suffer from depression and anxiety but its not like that now. its jsut something i cant explain. ive been in depressed states where i couldnt function, this depression is something differant. maybe its the gloomy weather that put me in that mood im not sure. thank you for your support

Losing weight reeks havoc on your hormones. Right now your body is being flooded by them. This is probably why you always feel this way when you start losing weight. Part of it is psychological because there was likely something behind your weight gain in the first place. It would be a good idea to try to get to the bottom of what that is if you don't know already. The other part is physical because of all the changes going on in your body. So feeling down is completely natural. Overtime, you will start to regulate on your own. If you don't, I highly recommend you talk to a professional about it. Hang in there!

delta thank you so much. this time im not even thinking of food as comfort, thats a good thing. it just feels like something is missing from my life or something. i feel good that i can pass all the goodies in the store and not give them a second thought. i think i might be beating myslef up for nothing. sighhhhhhhhhhhh

newegirl thank you for the kind words

enig thank you so much and you are so right on point. thank you again

its very common... I had my psych evaluation last week and the lady told me its part of the process for many. Try speaking to the person who evalutaed you. Good Luck. And don't worry.. :) when you get those thoughts and say "i can do it" positive affirmations help.

I have been struggling with depression and anxiety since I became a teenager. Before the surgery I thought that I had everything in check and that I would make it on the other side of surgery with no trouble. Everything was going well until about 3 weeks out when I felt like my whole life had stopped or something. I fell into a really deep depression, not bathing for days on end, I would drive somewhere and not be able to make myself go in. I stopped going to my doctor's appointments, and still have not been to a follow up with my surgeon. Finally after talking to my family physician, who I have to say is the best doctor in the world, she increased my dosage of medication and I can slowly start to see a difference. She said that sometimes after surgery, the medication does not stay in the stomach long enough to be effective so it is common to need an increase of medication.

I really hope that you are able to find some sort of relief for this, it sucks that taking such a big step in life to make things better, has not worked out the way you had hoped. Getting things in order is important so that you can move on with your progress.

Good luck and keep us updated.

kelly thank you and i pray you get better. i have been off meds for few years now. im hoping this passes.

I feel for you new grandmother. I think at times we wait for surgery to make an immediate change in our lives for the better, but at first it seems to just complicate our lives and we realize, truly realize its not magic, we have work to do and its a long road.

Gentle self talk works for me, and when the new day dawns I usually feel better. Just let the days feelings pass, and they will and tomorrow is a new day, hopefully you will feel better as time goes on and the weight loss you've been hoping for becomes a reality.

Hang in there girl.

katie thank you. i pray i feel better tomorrow today was just not a good day for me. why am i afraid i wont lose this wieght

i feel a lot better today. thank you for all your support

Hope today is another decent day for you. Just did my shopping for the remainder of the month including Thanksgiving and I was just thinking I'm not stressed over having all that food around me, I will enjoy cooking for my extended family and on that day I will enjoy a few small spoonfuls of my favorite dishes but not two entire platefulls like the old days. I was on a 6 month pre-op diet last year and I did just fine, and this year I have the power of my sleeve to help me continue to lose weight and stay the course. This is something to truly look forward to if not this year, next year. This year it may be nibbling on a few things to get the taste, but it will still be the holiday and for most treasured time with family.