Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Loyola Lap band patients

Hi everyone,

i too am being banded on sept 4 by dr sarker. I am so excited. I have been keeping in touch with marie. We have the same date. I have bc/bs il hmo and it was approved within 3 days without any type of supervised diet. Good luck to all and my prayers are with you all

Hi dperson,

Wow!! way to go about your 9/4 date... My dr. is Sarker as well and I am so motivated to get this thing done now after hearing from you and others. This next week I will make sure all is in to the insurance and get this thing approved. I was told I needed a 12 months supervised diet... So I have been doing this for a year now... It is so weird that people are told so many different things. But, I won't let that get me down, I just want to do it and be wearing a cute bathing suit in March... Going to Florida with the family... Even with a small loss of weight at that time compared to how I feel now would be GREAT!! Then next summer, hear we come!!! We will all be feeling pretty cool about then, hopefully!!! Well good luck to you and let's keep in touch. I am right behind you and will let you know when I get my approval... Time2bthin

Time2Bthin,

I had to do a 6 mo med supervsd diet, and I didn't loose ANY weight...in fact I gained about 6lbs. The nut. did say that they wanted me to loose weight before the surgery. I've been slacking lately. Not because I don't want to, I have this horrible addiction to fast food.:smile: Over the weekend I started a pre, pre-op diet to drop some weight. I do 2 Meal Replacements and then a healthy dinner, plus fruit or Cereal bars for Snacks. Also, I was diagnosed with sleep apena, and had to do a second sleep study. At the 2nd study I had to sleep with a CPAP. The dr. then Rx'd a CPAP for home. The CPAP is NOT my friend...LOL. Good luck to you on your journey!

Good Luck on your approval & really good luck with the CPAP... I'm soooo bad with mine!

Hi NFaith,

Turns out I do not need to get a machine for sleeping... Dr. talked to me about my sleep study... He said I had mild Sleep Apnea and with weight loss it should go away. He cleared me for surgery! So now I will be working with my surgeon's office to make sure they send all my papers to the insurance company and then I will just wait for the approval!! I feel like it is just right there. I hope I don't run into any snags.. I have heard different things about the CPAP machine. Lots hate it, but I have heard also that it has helped get a good nights sleep too... Hang in there. Are you still working on all the pre-surgery testing? Take care, Time2BThin!!!

Hi Cee,

I am 3 months post-op from surgery with Dr. Sarker. Everything has gone really, really well for me. Where are you in the process?

Mare

HELLO, MY NAME IS JUDYMARIE AND I WILL BE HAVING

THE LAP BAND AT LOYOLA WITH DR SARKER CAN ANY

ONE OUT THERE SHARE THERE STORY WITH ME WHO HAS

HAD DR SARKER. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT WAS SURGERY LIKE AND HOW MANY FILLS WILL ONE HAVE TO

HAVE BEFORE THEY SEE WEIGHT LOSS?

JUDYMARIEsmile.gif

Edited by judymarie

Hi Judymarie, I had surgery with Dr. Sarker on 10/16/08... It has been a great ride so far. I really like Dr. Sarker, she is great... When is your surgery scheduled? Have you been approved thru your insurance or are you a self-pay... I have had 3 fills so far but everyone is different in getting a fill. My last fill was in January... I have been pretty tight since then, it took a couple of months (from Oct.-Jan.) until I had pretty tight restriction. The recooperation time is not bad at all. You will just need to be patient with it all. All in all I LOVE MY BAND!! If you want to talk anymore, feel free to email me at suedrews@sbcglobal.net Good luck to you and the start of something GREAT for you!!

Hi everyone...especially Dr. Sarker's patients!

I'm a rookie here and see that there have been posts about having Dr. Sarker as a lap-band surgeon in 06 and 08. I have my first appt. with her on June 16th. I would love to chit chat with someone and talk about your experiences.

THANKS! Roze

Hey Roze, Yes... I was banded by Dr. Sarker on 10/16/08... Before I was banded I was curious as to who had Sarker as their dr. too... She is good, I have been happy with her. I have had a few fills too, she does all my fills as well... Good luck on June 16th... Have you had your other tests, etc. done yet? It all seems like alot to do in preparation but it will all go by pretty quick... I am soooo glad that I had it done, you are starting a great journey and I hope you LOVE it...

Hi time2Bthin!

Thank-you for such a speedy response! I also received a response from Marie715.

I haven't had any other tests, this is my first time meeting Dr. Sarker. I have BCBS IL HMO, what kind of pre-op guidelines did the doc have you follow after your initial appt?

I have the same insurance, BCBS IL HMO... Because of my insurance I had no choice but to go to Sarker, and it turned out great... With the HMO it was 100% covered... Gotta love that one!! The first time I went to Sarker she gave me a paper that had a list of several tests that needed to be done prior to the surgery... At first it seemed like a ton. But one by one I knocked them out and finally the insurance approved my surgery... I think my initial appt with Sarker was April and my surgery was finally in October... Gives you an idea of how long it took me... Also, I had to do a weight management class once a month for a year which I started the September prior to the April I met with Dr. Sarker... But you might get lucky and not have to do the weight management class for a whole year... Maybe they will have you do it for 6 months, or maybe not at all... It will all depend on what the insurance will require, and I do know that everyone is different and that the requirements are always changing... Just hang in there and be patient because it is worth the wait!!! Good luck and let us know how you appt goes next week...

Wow, you (time2Bthin) and Marie715 are so confident and informative about your bands, it really lifts my confidence to having this procedure done!! Thank-you! This is a great site and with positive communication, I think I'll continue to correspond! :-)

I'll be in touch after my visit with Dr. Sarker.....until then, it is "time to be thin", dagnabbit! :-D

Hey Roze... Good Luck to you... I don't know too much about you but if you are anything like me, my weight was everything!!! I hated being overweight for years!! I was at the point of just giving up and thinking I would never lose any weight... This operation has definitely changed that thought for me... It is not something that just happens overnight and it may not be the solution for everyone, but for me, it has been wonderful... With the band, some people lose weight really quick and some it takes a bit longer, so it is hard to say just where you will fit in. But my thought, no matter where you are starting, how much you have to lose, and how long it might take, the point is, hopefully you will be going down in weight and not up in weight... Soooo, to me it is a new beginning, and a new kind of hope!!! Good luck and let me know how everything goes for you....