Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to have vertical sleeve surgery and am attempting to decide between Alverez and Aceves. I was initially leaning toward Aceves, but due to proximity and am really leaning toward Alvarez. I was a little concerned that Alvarez only has you in the hospital for 2 days and does not use a drain. Has anyone went to Alvarez and can you share your experience.

I went to Alvarez Sept 3rd this year and had an awesome experience. I think you picked some of the best surgeons in Mexico. I was exactly where you are and didn't know which one to go with and basically it came down to a gut decision- that sounds weird. But you know what I mean. I don't think you can go wrong with either, truly.

I would recommend Dr. Alvarez to my family and friends. Good luck with your decision!

I used Dr. Alvarez for my VSG on 08/17/12. Had the best experience...Both Dr. A and Dr. Gabe were excellent surgeons. In fact, all the staff was awesome...I have never had a dr with better bedside manners. With that being said, I have read rave reviews on Aceves as well. I think there is a forum on this topic. You can probably do a search and find my extensive review of Dr. A. Since surgery I have lost 41lbs and 6 pant sizes, had absolutely no complications, incisions healed super and are working out nicely with scar cream application. I am sure you will make the best decision for you but as said before me, I do not think you could go wrong with either surgeon.

I am EXACTLY where you are now, deciding between the two and have done so much research between the two. I think either is a good decision. I asked the same question about the drain. All surgeons do not use the drain. It is a preference and their past experience. It would definately be more comfortable without I would think. Both use top grade materials, have full hospital facilities, great reputations, staff, etc. I don't know which to chose either. I am looking at dates, airfare, drive time to the facilities, etc.

I think it would depend which is easier for you to get to. I went with Aceves and had a great experience. It was easy for me to get to him.

These are both very experienced surgeons with great reviews. I would say Aceves, but I'm partial :)

I adore Aceves! I'm below goal, the hospital was the cleanest I have ever been in, everything went so smoothly. I wouldn't go to anyone, anywhere in the world, over Aceves!

I had the same problem :-) I am a revision patient (had a lapband and now get the sleeve) and after going back and forth between the two, I just went with my guts and feel very comfortable with my desicion. I really do agree with the ladies that either doc will be a great choice.

I will be sleeved Nov. 12 by Dr. Aceves ;)

Those were my top two choices. One of the top factors for choosing Aceves was mainly due to the closeness to me. It was a one-hour flight to San Diego as compated to flying to Texas. Honestly though, I really went with my gut. I prayed and wrote pros & cons about my top 5, top 3, and finally top 2. Woke up one morning knowing Dr Aceves was the one for me and have had no second thoughts. It was the cleanest hospital I've ever been in and the staff was amazing. No complications and follow-up has been prompt and helpful.

Whoever you choose in the end will be the right one for you. Go with your gut.

Dr. Aceves is the best! and all his staff is so sweet and profesional

He is my fave dr. ever!

and i think the 4 days you stay in Almater Hospital are so woth it, they treated me like a queen and when i was home i was so much better, i think those first day are really important and having the best care is a must!

I am still deciding, down to the last day of making my decision. The two factors I keep thinking of - I like 3 days in the hospital with Dr. Aceves but I like not having a drain with Dr. Alvarez. I am a big wuss when it comes to stuff like that! But i am an "mature" sleever and could probaby use the extra day in the hospital.

Dr Aceves #1, no pain, no complications, excellent service at hospital and great attention from staff, drain was removed prior left hospital if you choose him it will be a great decision!

The drain was no big deal! Don't let that scare you away from Aceves- you'll have a great experience with him!

I hope the original poster doesn't mind me rabbit trailing a little bit. I am wondering, if any of you only had $6000 to spend toward your surgery, would you go with Dr. Garcia or Ponce de leon if you could not afford Aceves or Almanza? Or would you wait an entire year more!?

I have heard excellent things about both of those doctors, but they are not as well recognized as Aceves or Almanza. I am the worrying type, As much as I try not to.

You have to go with your gut. I knew I wanted dr. Alvarez, it took me two years to save for my surgery, and was worth every second of each day. I know I paid more than some, but u have to trust ur surgeon.