Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovering From The Sleeve Gastrectomy

Hey guys & gals!! I am getting sleeved next week and am pretty nervous. I've had 3 c-sections so I'm sort of preparing myself for similiar after-pain. I know that all surgeons do the procedure differently, but was just wondering how others felt after they came out of surgery..

I had my sleeve surgery last Tuesday. I've never had a c-section, but the pain from the VSG surgery was very tolerable (even after the pain meds wore off). I'm back to work and just getting used to sipping instead of gulping.

Omg, thats wonderful! Good luck to you!! I hope I also have a good experience!! :)

You'll do great! I've heard c-sections are more painful that VSG (although I can not confirm). The drain was the worst part of the entire process...luckily it came out on day 2.

Luckily I didn't have any pain but I also didn't have any hernia repair or gallbladder removal; so that probably minimized the amount of discomfort. One thing I highly recommend is using a recliner for sleeping - I definitely could not sleep comfortably when laying down for about 5 days post op. A recliner was so much more comfy. When I came out of surgery I had absolutely no pain - I slept almost the whole day away! I took my pain meds, but it wasn't truly necessary.

Best wishes for a really successful surgery!

I was fine. Some gas pain in the beginning. But.. the worst part was waking up with BACK pain from laying in one position for so long. And I didn't realize in recovery I could pull myself into a comfortable position (thought I'd pull something loose..lol). Once I knew I could adjust myself and I got back in the room with "the good stuff" in my I.V. I was fine- walking that night.

I've had 4 C-Sections, and the VSG is nothing compared to the C-Sections. Very minimal discomfort is how I'd explain it rather than pain. Walking helped, so walk as much as possible. I was in the hospital 2 days and went home with liquid pain meds but only took it once one night I couldn't get comfortable to sleep. As mentioned above, I too slept in the recliner in the hospital, I was just more comfortable, and when I got home I kept 2 pillows under my head due to the reflux. You'll do fine, I am sure!!

I was very pleasantly surprised by how little pain I was in after surgery. I made liberal use of the pain pump the first two days in the hospital but once I got home (day 3) I didn't use anything at all. I was totally fine.

You're going to do fine. I had 3 C-Sections prior to the sleeve. The pain level didn't even come close to the C-Section pain! I have been using my pain meds at home, simply because my dr still won't let me swallow pills & the crushed Tylenol/liquid Tylenol is too nasty tasting for me right now. I'm still sleeping on the recliner (I'm one week post-op).

Use your previous surgeries as as "confidence" booster! We gave birth to our babies--nursed & cared for them while in incredible amounts of pain. We can handle sleeve surgery!

Omg, I'm really glad I joined this site!! The support that I'm getting already is helping me with my anxiety soooo much, you have no idea!! Thanks so much you guys!! If it's nothing compared to a c-section, I'm more than prepared for this!! ;)

ask for an anti nausea and a ppo prescription. both will make the first week or two much easier (some docs just do them for everyone, some you have to ask). It's best to have them at home just in case :)

After my second surgery I felt good within 24 hours. Better than I had after the first. You'll have pain meds, don't be a dork...use them as you need them and then from there, just be prepared for rest. The only real pain is typcially gas related (which the above help with as well as gas x strips!) and at your suture lines. When you get out of bed, roll gently verses trying to hop up and some people hold a pillow to their tummy...but that will go away soon and it's not terrible.