Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All Pre Op'ers Read This......

I am scheduled for surgery November 6th. My biggest fear is complications......I have had spine surgery and a hysterectomy so I am no stranger to PAIN....the thought of a complication just freaks me out. I found this on an obesity surgical center's website in the patient info section. I brought me comfort....

Possible Complications

Gastric Sleeve (gastrectomy) complications are relatively rare and when they occur most likely it is during or very shortly after the procedure. These are generally not life threatening and can be managed safely either surgically or non-surgically.

Hmmmm..I think I know where this came from..Obesity Control Center?? I've read it too, and it brings me comfort as well, especially since that is where I am having my surgery done. :) Thanks for posting!

Thank you for sharing this.

Complications can happen with any procedure and are just par for the course, but it is a very small chance (less than 3%) that something will happen. I had the procedure done a little over 4 weeks ago - not a single complication, healed up beautifully, down 23 pounds and feeling AWESOME!

I knew that the risk of me having obesity related complications in life was much higher than the risk of me having the procedure. I am so grateful I went through with it. I have NEVER lost 23 pounds on my own and know that without this tool I would not be this far.

Good Luck to each of you. You will all do great! :) See you on the loser's bench soon....

I agree that complications are frightening - we'd be fools not to be worried about that to some extent. But I'm choosing sleeve because it has the lowest long term risk of complication. Lapband and RNY patients have a whole set of complications they could face at any point in their lives, whereas sleevers typically don't once they are healed from the initial surgery.

Congrats on having a date set! It's right around the corner, lucky you!! :)

I am scheduled for surgery November 6th. My biggest fear is complications......I have had spine surgery and a hysterectomy so I am no stranger to PAIN....the thought of a complication just freaks me out. I found this on an obesity surgical center's website in the patient info section. I brought me comfort....

Possible Complications

Gastric Sleeve (gastrectomy) complications are relatively rare and when they occur most likely it is during or very shortly after the procedure. These are generally not life threatening and can be managed safely either surgically or non-surgically.

I'm also scheduled for November 6, Good luck and try not to worry too much!

Complications can happen with any procedure and are just par for the course' date=' but it is a very small chance (less than 3%) that something will happen. I had the procedure done a little over 4 weeks ago - not a single complication, healed up beautifully, down 23 pounds and feeling AWESOME!

I knew that the risk of me having obesity related complications in life was much higher than the risk of me having the procedure. I am so grateful I went through with it. I have NEVER lost 23 pounds on my own and know that without this tool I would not be this far.

Good Luck to each of you. You will all do great! :) See you on the loser's bench soon....[/quote']

How much pain are you in after your surgery??

Of course everyone is different, but I want to share my experience. I had my surgery on 10/12. I was really nervous about pain. I didn't have any except sore throat first day! When I got home I didn't even need Tylenol! Was easier getting in and out of bed than after gall bladder surgery. Again, everyone is different, but I wouldn't put yourself through worry that might be for nothing. Good luck everyone!

(....anxiously awaiting iggychic's response....)

How much pain are you in after your surgery??

I'm 4 days out and I can legitimately say I had not had any real pain from the surgery. I have had a fair amount of discomfort (feeling crazy bloated, being stiff, a couple of moments of nausea) but I really really thought it was going to hurt, and for me at least it really really hasn't.

I had some mild discomfort. I took the pain meds they sent me home with especially at night. The most pain was getting out of bed or getting out of a chair. It was tolerable and well worth having since I am on the road to healt!!

Just so this isn't too one sided--I had surgery 3 months ago, had multiple complications and quite a bit of pain. My heart stopped on the table the first time I went under so the surgery was rescheduled for a week later. It was really rough the first couple of weeks.

BUT.....

I would do it again.

Please don't go into this thinking there isn't any risk because there is. Make plans for the "what if's" just in case.

However, realize that if you are doing this because you are morbidly obese that, statistically speaking, you will be adding years to your life. It is worth some pain and a little bit of scary.

Good luck!

When I look at the complications of the sleeve, I start to compare them to the complications I will no doubt have if I do not take care of my weight problem. All 5 of my aunts and uncles on my dad's side have diabetes and high blood pressure. All of them have had or have cancer. On my mom's side, heart problems, high blood pressure. I am in pain and out of breath going up and down the steps of my home at I’m just getting into my 30’s. Looking at my chances, I decided it would be a better choice for me to have the procedure. I am not doing it just to look "hawt" in a two piece, although the thought has crossed my mind. lol.. You have to remember why you decided to have it done.

Hi fellow sleevers.............you can't scare me. ha ha ha I know the risk is only like 1%, but I have lost 5 siblings and my mom to massive heart attacks, had open heart surgery myself (4 yrs. ago - no symptoms - found it on a stress test - lost another sister 2 days before my surgery - yep, the big HA), my body constantly produces kidney stones (a kidney disease), so I pass at least a few stones a month, and I had a hip replacement last August. So you know what........bring it on!!!!!!

I'm 4 days out and I can legitimately say I had not had any real pain from the surgery. I have had a fair amount of discomfort (feelingi crazy bloated' date=' being stiff, a couple of moments of nausea) but I really really thought it was going to hurt, and for me at least it really really hasn't.[/quote']

Thank you so much for letting me know that I have recently had 2 friends who have had surgery. These past 2 weeks they are in a lot of pain...