Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Splenda, Equal, Saccharin, Xylitol And Other Sugar Substitutes

I am not a scientist or a medical professional. I am still pre-op. I am curious about post-op experiences with sugar substitutes. Do you find yourself still craving sugary/sweet stuff? Example: when I used real sugar, I put 4 or 5 teaspoons of sugar in my iced tea. Does your tolerance for sugar substitutes change? Did your preferences for sugar substitutes change? I'm wondering if I should simply try never to use them again. The evidence about their advantages versus disadvantages seems conflicting. I don't know whom to believe. But I do believe what people in this forum say about their real-world experiences. I'm using splenda and equal on my pre-op diet.

I am 8 weeks out and can not handle any kind of sweet drinks or food. I really notice sugar in things for example Tomato sauce. Most low cal sweet drinks I can't drink. I hope my taste buds stay that way!

I will say I am a Splenda addict lol.. But I have cut done some, its hard but Im trying.

For me though I think it makes me crave sugar a lot more! I have always loved sweets pre-op, but I was more of a carb junkie then a sweets person, now I feel like I am always craving sweets.

I did buy some Stevia in the raw to try out instead of splenda.

I still like sweet things, but since pre surgery I used Splenda and Equal regularly I didn't have a problem adjusting.

When I was a month out I was doing honey in my tea but now I have switched to stevia (sweetener substitute) . I seem to tolerate any sweetener though. And for me, the only time I crave sweets is that time of the month.

I am still trying hard to keep my sugar to a minimum. I think that is what most peoples goal is on here. Good Luck! I am betting you won't have any trouble ;-)

The only artifical sweetner I can't tolerate is aspartame - gives me bad headaches.

Bought Nectreese a few days ago. It's made from Monk Fruit so it's "natural." Same consistency as sugar. I like it well enough.

That said, I'm not going to completely avoid sugar, or artificial sweetners. I like the flavored Greek yogurts and will eat a cup of yogurt for Breakfast almost every morning. But I wouldn't do so if it were plain - nasty!

With all the changes I have made (no fast food, no fried food, only "quality/healthy Protein, more fresh veggies and some fresh fruit) there has to be room for real life - a healthy way I can live the rest of my life. Most people of normal weight don't completely avoid sugar or sweet foods - they just have the ability to eat them in moderation (something I couldn't do very well before). My sleeve gives me the ability to be moderate, which I love!!!