Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Set Your Goal Weight?

I've had the same goal wt since age 13: 135#.

It just happens to be mid-range of my height's insurance company tables (67"). I guess I just wanna be able to say I did it. I'd probably be more comfortable around 150# but who knows. I was fat, but stable until I had kids...211#. and I'm not going through this mess just to hit 211 & stick there. My PCP thinks 145-150, my surgeon didn't disagree w/135 but I'm curious if that's bc his office believes in the stats that people typically only lose 60-70% of excess wt at 2 years post-op. That'd mean I'd be lucky to see 180-195. :( no way.

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW) | @Mwrarr | mwrarr.wordpress.com

Picked my goal same way i find a plumber....

Started by busing out the yellow pages, Randomly flipped through the book to a random page, circled with a red sharpie and there you have it...

lol

I do not have a goal weight. My surgeon and I agreed that my body will find its goal weight. He informed me that even post op I will probably always be on the "chubby" side unless I become a workout fanatic. My goal is good health, not a specific weight. It will literally be a journey of discovery.

I'm still pre-op but I already have a goal weight of 115. That is what I've weighed most of my teen and adult life and I'm comfortable there. I'm 5'1" currently 208.

Just curious how/why people picked the numbers they did.

My doc asked me what my goal was. I guess she figured it was reasonable so she didn't try to talk me out of it. I just picked a number that I remember being happy at' date=' but that was over 20 years ago! Although right now I'd be happy if I was within 20 pounds of that![/quote']

My surgeon listed one, that still puts me at an overweight status. I am okay with this. However, I don't know what certain weights feel like. So I am making a goal of percentage of fat lost, more important than weight and how I function in my body.

I also picked a weight that was comfortable for my body before the weight, 155. At 5'8",the doctor felt that it was reasonable. My secret goal is 145, which would be exactly 100 lbs from my heaviest and is a weight that would put me in the "hot" category :) . If I dont make that weight I wont be disappointed, I have the "reasonable" goal to still shoot for.

I'm 5'3" and I looked at several healthy weight and BMI charts. I started off at 216 and my first goal weight that I considered was 135 lbs' date=' then I revised it to 115 lbs, which puts me in a mid range for healthy weight for my height. I really have no idea what that will look like on me. I have seen other people here who are also short have goal weights of 170 lbs, 150 lbs, etc. One of the goals I have along with weight loss and health is that I really, really, really want to run and I know that the less stress on my joints the easier that is going to be for me at my age of 44. I didn't ask the doctor, nutritionist or nurse what they thought my weight should be.[/quote']

I, too, am 5'3. My doc set my goal weight at 135. Then at the six month he lowered it to 130. I'm quickly approaching the eight month mark. I like where I'm at now. I feel just right. In fact my face and shoulders r on the too thin side. I wish we could pick and choose where on our bodies to lose. When I lean over u can see my vertebra and rib cage, but from the front I have skin and a little bit of fat. Weird, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I have been overweight my whole life and don't remember what I weighed in highschool, so I went on what weight I was really happy at and felt good, and that was 170. I am currently 264 so that's almost a hundred pounds. 170 is still overweight for me (5'5") but I believe I am large frame and my calves have always been large. That sounds stupid, but even as a child in the 60s my mom had trouble buying boots for me because the higher ones wouldn't fit my calves. I also have wide feet (EEE) and I feel those are sort of indicators, at least for me.

I am 5'3" and chose my 1st goal by BMI. That would be 135lbs. That puts me a couple of points into the "healthy" BMI range. However, at one time, I did manage to maintain a weight of 150lbs and felt and looked great there too. So I would be thrilled to hit that too :)