Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Difference In Cost

I have been searching for weeks and trying to decide which doctor to go with for my surgery. It is an overwhelming decision. There seems to be such a wide price range, approx $4500 to $11K. How can there be such a price difference when each offers close to the same service? 1-2 day stay, hotel, transport to and from airport, etc. I know some surgeons are more experienced. Can someone help me out here with some advice. Is paying more really mean getting better quality?

Here is my opinion.

I believe some of the higher prices are due to different locations (Puerto Villarta and Cancun vs. Tijuana). Some of the hospitals are newer and some of the surgeons have been in the bariatric field for way longer than others.

As far as cost goes, I chose a surgeon that charges on the lower side but have good reviews and a lot of experience. If I could afford $8-$11k, I would stay in the states and find a surgeon for that price because there are a few.

I think a lot of it has to do with the actual hospital cost. I had a few choices of hospitals, and there was a really fancy one that would have bumped my surgery cost up by about 4k. If you spend some time on the boards, you might get a feel for which hospitals sound good to you. I went for one that was clean and had good care. I think most of them are just fine. Then there's the recovery segment. Some surgeons will send you to a "recovery house" and others to a hotel (I was at a hotel and it was gorgeous). Again, it just all boils down to your comfort level. I think that my surgeon was on the lower end of price range (not the cheapest, but) and I had high quality care and service from start to finish. I just had a 6 week follow-up with my PCM and she could not believe how great I'm doing and the price I paid for the really great service.

I also think it has to do with location as well. I chose a Dr. with a '9' rating and I went to Tijuana which and the hospital was clean and the care was outstanding. The hotel was great as well...and the cost was considerably less because of the location. Take your time and do your research and go with what your gut tells you. Good luck.

I used Dr. Lopez. I went to Puerto Vallarta and I paid an extra $500 for that location. I had my surgery in a brand new hospital. It was the best medical care I've ever received. I would have had my surgery in TJ if I had gone by myself.

I think a lot of it has to do with the actual hospital cost. I had a few choices of hospitals' date=' and there was a really fancy one that would have bumped my surgery cost up by about 4k. If you spend some time on the boards, you might get a feel for which hospitals sound good to you. I went for one that was clean and had good care. I think most of them are just fine. Then there's the recovery segment. Some surgeons will send you to a "recovery house" and others to a hotel (I was at a hotel and it was gorgeous). Again, it just all boils down to your comfort level. I think that my surgeon was on the lower end of price range (not the cheapest, but) and I had high quality care and service from start to finish. I just had a 6 week follow-up with my PCM and she could not believe how great I'm doing and the price I paid for the really great service.[/quote']

That was a great information what surgeon did you use

I think it's been covered pretty well, one thing I might add is that prices are what the market can support, doctors with better facilities and a good record are in higher demand and can command a higher price. Also newer, larger facilities carry more expence, usually have higher paid employees and cost more to maintain.

I also used Dr. Lopez but in Tijuana. I have never received such great care!

Good to hear! I will be in TJ in march with Dr. Lopez.

Amanda Rae

I used Dr. Lopez. I went to Puerto Vallarta and I paid an extra $500 for that location. I had my surgery in a brand new hospital. It was the best medical care I've ever received. I would have had my surgery in TJ if I had gone by myself.

How much was the total cost for Dr. Lopez in Puerto Vallarta?

How much was the total cost for Dr. Lopez in Puerto Vallarta?

I also went to Dr. Lopez in PV. Cost was $5,600. Airplane ticket cost is higher than TJ as well. I went to PV because I wanted to take my sister with me and she needed a real vacation. Total cost of my trip, including airfare, surgery, food and drinks, and tips was around $7,000.

The hospital was brand new. My sister, who works as an Emergency Room RN, was extremely impressed by the hospital and doctors.

Here are some pics of the view from my hospital room, view from hotel, beach at the hotel, and the pool at the hotel.

post-47230-13813668248225_thumb.jpg

post-47230-13813668249884_thumb.jpg

post-47230-13813668251151_thumb.jpg

post-47230-13813668251879_thumb.jpg

Yes, I think the area is a little more costly and maybe less competition as well. That's the price I was quoted recently. It looks so nice there and having a newer hospital makes it more appealing. I think it justifies the higher price. Plus I have to talk my husband into letting me do this and he is not enthusiastic about TJ, but there are no warnings for PV...even old ones so that is helpful to appeal to family.

I think the cost has to do with the doctor's reputation and the hospital choice and length of stay. My Dr. has his patients stay three days at the hospital, which is a plus to me since I am coming so far for my surgery.

I would loooove to go to PV if I had the money. The plane tickets were higher and also I would have had to get a passport instead of the passport card- which was much cheaper. When you're on a budget these little things add up. But if I had the money right now, I would go to PV! :)

I think the cost has to do with the doctor's reputation and the hospital choice and length of stay. My Dr. has his patients stay three days at the hospital, which is a plus to me since I am coming so far for my surgery.

I think its more the area and competition. The same doctor's price in TJ was $4650 roughly.