Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Use Your First Six Months Wisely

First, my thanks to the OP for posting her personal experiences in an attempt to help others. The intent to help was there. And yes, it's absolutely useful for long term success to cement those good habits when food is unappealing and eating small amounts is your new norm and the first six months are ideal for those changes to start taking place.

Second, people need to realize that when someone offers advice here on what worked for them, they're doing exactly that. YMMV, right? What works for one doesn't work for all of us, and expecting that one person has THE WAY to lose weight and ALL OTHER WAYS ARE DOOMED TO FAIL is silly. Do your research! Listen to YOUR body. Track YOUR intake, YOUR results and most importantly, listen to YOUR surgeon. That's the only way to know what works for YOU.

Third, this is relevant: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/67736-understanding-the-phrase-honeymoon-period/page__hl__%2Bunderstanding+%2Bthe+%2Bphrase

There are as many different approaches, diet plans and exercise programs here as there are members. Know that and try not to panic yourself OR attack someone if theirs isn't the same as yours. And I'm sorry, but I do not believe VST should be catered to the lowest common denominator - the person that would starve themselves to lose weight or the most sensitive person in the room isn't the norm, and I don't know that couching my responses to cater is necessary for this site to function as the support site it's intended to be.

Good luck, folks!

~Cheri

There are many fair (and a few ridiculous) points in this thread. The thing is, everyone's body is different and there is NO WAY one set of hard-and-fast rules will work for anyone. Not even any good general guidelines really.

I never lost my appetite, have never had a problem to eat ANYTHING. Of course, I choose to eat well, but if I want to I can eat any old thing. I am not put off by food, could eat pretty good quantities from one month post-op, etc.

I recently was told by my clinic I was 'the perfect patient', but many people would be freaked out by my plan and the way I've done things.

There is more than one path to success -- and one of the keys to success is to find the one that works for YOU and then believe in yourself and follow it, and not be swayed by other people's dogma.

Good luck, everyone!

Swizzle, clt- well said! I truly believe that we are on our own journey, to the same destination, lose weight & get healthy.... How we get there is up to us! What works for me, may not work for someone else. I do know, those of us who have chose to have WLS, chose that path because we wanted a tool to help us achieve a healthier lifestyle.

I guess my main point is replying to this post is to let people know that there is no time limit on losing weight with the sleeve.

I am rather strict with the carbs I eat because I know that if I indulge it sets off a binge cycle with me. Someone mentioned Eggface. She uses cucumbers for crackers and zuchinni in lieu of Pasta. She is even more strict than I am because she knows that to have it within reach is dangerous for her. I am a junkie and I basically have to abstain or be very careful. Get this: I had to bring donuts into work today for a birthday. These just aren't any donuts either. They are apple filled or raspberry cream cheese topped and any other variety you can think of. I got a few too many at the donut place and so took a couple back to my desk - the old hoard the food pig me possessed my mind. I turned around and brought them back and far away from me. I seriously was going to eat a raised glazed donut topped with cream cheese and raspberry. The other one was lemon. I cannot be trusted.

Like (see above) says, everyone's body is different, but there is one thing that has been etched into my mind and that is: Protein first, veggies and fruit next and then a smaller amount of healthy carbs. Many people relax this somewhat as they get closer to goal or modify it on heavy workout days.

To reiterate, I just want to let the people who are pre-sleeve or under a year that the sleeve does not stop working for you after 6 months or a year. That was my concern.

How do you Use zuccini as Pasta? I'd love that. I've heard of spaghetti squash.

How do you Use zuccini as Pasta? I'd love that. I've heard of spaghetti squash.

You can cut it into strips (Julienne) or peel them into stripes, steam and voila!

You can also slice lengthwise and use like noodles in lasagna.

Check out:

www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Tri-Blade-Spiral-Vegetable-Slicer/dp/B006THC75E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362174159&sr=8-2&keywords=Veggie+curly+slicer

I have this slicer to cut zucchini and other veggies to use instead of Pasta. It works great! I used in during pre-op to lose weight. I intend to use it again once I introduce veggies again. Great kitchen tool.

I keep thinking I need to eat more because I'm working out so much' date=' but there's just no room! I'm hoping I can break that mentality before I have the room for cheesecake :-)

I have to admit, seeing negative net calories on MFP alternately thrills and freaks me out. I'm one month out tomorrow.[/quote']

That's why I stopped recording exercise on MFP before I got sleeved. I didn't like thst it automatically added in the extra calories earned from exercise to my daily allotment. I'd rather just add the extra calories burned to additional weight loss!

http://www.amazon.co...ie curly slicer

I have this slicer to cut zucchini and other veggies to use instead of Pasta. It works great! I used in during pre-op to lose weight. I intend to use it again once I introduce veggies again. Great kitchen tool.

Thank you! I am so getting one of these. I have wanted to learn how to use vegetables as Pasta for so long but I am not a very talented veggie cutter :) I think this is the answer to my problem!

You are very welcome! I really enjoy mine & its easy to clean. It took a few tries to get the hang of pushing the veggie handle with one hand and cranking the handle with the other. But now I'm a wiz! Hope you enjoy it too!

my two cent is the way my nut explained to me is she wants to see a balance of cal, carbs, protien, fat. which makes sense because i want to eat the way i will eat for the rest of my life. i am done with dieting low carb high protien low fat are just diets to ME she also told me not to focus on it so much, i can only eat a small amount. now i am suppose to get protien in first but she wants balance protien fruit/veggie and if room a carb. each of my meals are balanced, not low carb low fat high proein, well the protien is high.

me personally i got the surgery so i wont have to diet again. i know my limits i stop when im full and i stick to basics protien Water and not drinking with meals. here is a sample of my meals daily. keep in mind i try to get a little of all food groups in at each meal

today;

am a whole grain cheese quesidilla, ( i had a taste for one)

snack 3 oz turkey meatballs. (snacks are normal solo foods

lunch 2 oz of medium shrimp stir fry with veggies ( used cooking spray and water)

snack 2 oz albacore tuna low sodium tuna salad, 7 multigrain crackers

dinner 1 black bean and corn enchilada with a small salad

snack 1/2 cup chobani greek yogart

after all of that i workout for about an hour before bed.

I hope someone reads this, lots of typing lol OH and if you notice my status im losing an average of 10lbs a month some months less but i am losing and not gaining. its not falling off fast like most but slow and steady i will still get to the finish line OH surgery date was 9/12/13

my two cent is the way my nut explained to me is she wants to see a balance of cal' date=' carbs, protien, fat. which makes sense because i want to eat the way i will eat for the rest of my life. i am done with dieting low carb high protien low fat are just diets to ME she also told me not to focus on it so much, i can only eat a small amount. now i am suppose to get protien in first but she wants balance protien fruit/veggie and if room a carb. each of my meals are balanced, not low carb low fat high proein, well the protien is high.

me personally i got the surgery so i wont have to diet again. i know my limits i stop when im full and i stick to basics protien Water and not drinking with meals. here is a sample of my meals daily. keep in mind i try to get a little of all food groups in at each meal

today;

lunch 2 oz of medium shrimp stir fry with veggies ( used cooking spray and water)

I hope someone reads this, lots of typing lol OH and if you notice my status im losing an average of 10lbs a month some months less but i am losing and not gaining. its not falling off fast like most but slow and steady i will still get to the finish line OH surgery date was 9/12/13[/quote']

Newgrandmother! You're doing amazing! :)

So happy for you!

my two cent is the way my nut explained to me is she wants to see a balance of cal' date=' carbs, protien, fat. which makes sense because i want to eat the way i will eat for the rest of my life. i am done with dieting low carb high protien low fat are just diets to ME she also told me not to focus on it so much, i can only eat a small amount. now i am suppose to get protien in first but she wants balance protien fruit/veggie and if room a carb. each of my meals are balanced, not low carb low fat high proein, well the protien is high.

today;

I hope someone reads this, lots of typing lol OH and if you notice my status im losing an average of 10lbs a month some months less but i am losing and not gaining. its not falling off fast like most but slow and steady i will still get to the finish line OH surgery date was 9/12/13[/quote']

Yes, great job indeed and very practical approach to eating. 10 lb a month is awesome!

less and fiddle thank you very much, i get down on myself at times because its slow but i know its better that way, i have lot weight fast before in the past and to only gain it all back plus.

less your numbers look awesome over there