Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Use Your First Six Months Wisely

I would like to see your video blog. What is the link? Great job on your losses!

Thank you! I haven't posted the vlogs as of yet. I'm waiting until one year post op to process them and release them :)

I'm 5'3" and eat 500 calories a day. I don't know how I could eat 1' date='000 at this point.[/quote']

I'm 5'1 and I am the same as you- 1000 calories!!!! Yeah- no I have only gotten over 500 calories a very small handful if times since my surgery in May.

Oh wow. I really wasn't going to post on here. Was just mildly amused. Now i'm not so amused.

Iggychic said exactly what I've been thinking. DO YOUR RESEARCH! No where ever have I read that people stop losing at 6 months, can live off their own fat, and can live on just Water for months. That wld throw a system into starvation mode so quickly.

I call BS on this post.

That's what my doctor/surgeon told me. He is an award winning physician and runs a Center for Bariatric Excellence, which is not an easy distinction to acquire. When he said that I would survive on my own fat stores with only Water for 4 months, he did not say THRIVE. He said survive. That post was to suggest what is apparently medical fact, though not something that anyone would every want to do. Have you ever seen someone go on a hunger strike? They don't die right away, or even weeks into it. This is a conceptual idea that is based in medical fact to illustrate a theoretically relevant idea that I'm damn fat. It was also a wake-up call to me that I do not need to fuss and whine about being deprived about food or being hungry and try to soothe myself with food because I'm already damn fat. He was basically saying not to feel sorry for yourself and get with the program. This was our pre-surgery conference. It worked for me.

Wow! Walk a mile in someone's shoes before you judge them. As for the question if I have done research' date=' yes I have. One thing I can tell you is that information is consistently inconsistent. Even between my dr and my nutritionist, I get different info. Too much bullying in this world. What else is there to say. Actually a lot, but I won't stoop that low.[/quote']

Actually the weight loss information is not inconsistent. THe methods (how much Protein, how to move through the pre and post diets, etc) are, but the actual weight loss data is very consistent. The "honeymoon" phase of six months and the weight loss during those months is clearly documented with the data I shared earlier. No one is bullying you (that's such a buzz word now a days). Just saying, you have one troll who makes a post (note the OP has never come back) to stir up some snoot and you said you were taking their post as fact. Two seconds of reading that drivel and I knew they were dealing with some "issues" of their own. I'm just suggesting you do your research and not let one foolish post among thousands sway you.

As usual "absolute" statements are seldom true. My weight loss has picked back up and I am losing 1-2 pounds a week at nearly 11 months out. I am not dieting, i just did a reset to get back off carbs. There are lots of posters on this forum that can testify that weight loss continues, it does slow down.

Because I started with 150# to lose, I asked the NUT about my odds of getting it all off. I am working a plan to have it all off in 18 months. I have lost 80% of it already. If you are high BMI, you likely need that extra time, lower BMI people usually make their goal in 6-12 months.

Again, the larger point is right - take advantage of the window of opportunity when the weight loss is quickest (not easy, but quick) but that doesn't mean you are "done" at some magical moment.

That's what my doctor/surgeon told me. He is an award winning physician and runs a Center for Bariatric Excellence' date=' which is not an easy distinction to acquire. When he said that I would survive on my own fat stores with only Water for 4 months, he did not say THRIVE. He said survive. That post was to suggest what is apparently medical fact, though not something that anyone would every want to do. Have you ever seen someone go on a hunger strike? They don't die right away, or even weeks into it. This is a conceptual idea that is based in medical fact to illustrate a theoretically relevant idea that I'm damn fat. It was also a wake-up call to me that I do not need to fuss and whine about being deprived about food or being hungry and try to soothe myself with food because I'm already damn fat. He was basically saying not to feel sorry for yourself and get with the program. This was our pre-surgery conference. It worked for me.[/quote']

Ok, I'll agree to 'survive, not thrive.' That's true. There's a whole scientific study done on that and mal-nourishment of starving villages, but that's really mixing up my examples. :-) If the having the doc say that to you and that's what was your take-away, then that's good. We all absorb different things to help us in this journey. Sometimes we need extremes to 'get it'

So, I do apologize for calling BS on your post.

The OP had some good points about the first 6 months. But anything else she said I still think it's wrong and I hope she was just exaggerating to make a point. Unfortunately, some newbies who have no medical guidance see posts like that as the gospel and I feel that we who have medical guidance and experience have a responsibility to say 'wait a minute! This suggestion isn't safe or even reasonable.' I can guarantee you that some young people who suddenly have a new lease on life but have no guidance would think that is what they should do. I've mentored many women in their 20's and it's a bit scary to see how quickly many embrace falsehoods. So yes, a post like the OP could theoretically do some damage.

This is a sickness just like obesity. It's not something to embrace, and yet people will when desperate. It's a dangerous way to live your life and can be as destructive as being "fat".

Not too nasty, I've seen worse. To the point, yes. But not entirely factual, thus my further posts in this thread. ;)

I thought it was nasty and not factual.

If this surgery is done for HEALTH and not VANITY then becoming a healthy individual is the goal, not some arbitrarily chosen weight. People come in all shapes and sizes and a healthy weight for one person might not be for another simply because to maintain it, extreme measures must be taken. The point of the surgery is to create the ability to lose weight quickly to regain health and the ability replace bad habits with good ones--not create new bad habits in the opposite direction.

You and many others are eating a normal adult caloric range and are active and fit--the REAL GOAL.

If this surgery is done for HEALTH and not VANITY then becoming a healthy individual is the goal' date=' not some arbitrarily chosen weight. People come in all shapes and sizes and a healthy weight for one person might not be for another simply because to maintain it, extreme measures must be taken. The point of the surgery is to create the ability to lose weight quickly to regain health and the ability replace bad habits with good ones--not create new bad habits in the opposite direction.

You and many others are eating a normal adult caloric range and are active and fit--the REAL GOAL.[/quote']

I thought YOU hit the nail on the head. Losing weight in a healthy way, creating good habits that include daily exercise, a balanced, healthful diet is optimum for maintaining your health through this process. Starvation is never the answer, that is NOT a healthy way to lose weight.

While I love being called a troll, I honestly am not upset with the people on this board who are fighting with me on this one. It is the same person who couldn't get the last 40 off in my support group. You will reach a stopping point. My doctor also set my goal weight at 180. Of course he did... They want to show a success rate. My goal was 170, but I stopped at 160. You can totally live off your own fat through ketosis. Your body will not hoard onto your fat and go into starvation mode because that would be impossible. It will use your fat...the protien you eat avoids major muscle loss. The doctor on this board even says 500 calories the first six months. Some people might be lucky and keep losing...but what risk do you want to take? Do you want to eat 1000 calories lose weight slow and hope you get all the weight off in a year or two years or do you want to take the first six months and use the fact that the majority of you will not be hungry and lose as much as you can? That is your choice. One of the diets I was on...I tried...through Frederick Hospital was a liquid diet...you eat 600 calories of liquid until you get to your goal weight. When you have to drop weight fast for surgery they don't tell you to eat 1000 calories. They put you into ketosis. It is short term and you will come out of it.

The whole health v. Vanity issue makes me laugh. My doc said most of his patients gain weight back. So if you can get below goal it is best because you will gain some back. I struggle with that everyday now. It is easy!!! I also believe if you strive to lose as much as possible and committ to it once you get to two years out and you could easily gain you will have the mindset in place that you are not going to take it. If you are just ho hum about it...I am just going to eat 1000 calories and be healthy...(which is a load crap) you will just be content with not making it to goal if you hapoen not to make it. You have an opportunity in the first six months to go crazy! So do it.

To the op-I don't have any problems with anything you've said. I still think your original post was meant to warn people the first six months is the prime time to lose and not waste it. I don't think you have "issues". I don't even know you and I am in no position to judge that. I am not a psychologist nor psychiatrist.

Having said that we are all different people with different opinions and different doctors. While I don't agree with every detail I appreciate your thoughtfulness of the "six month warning". I think your intentions were to be helpful. I'm sorry your post has been taken so offensively.

I do have one question. I noticed on other posts you struggle with hair loss still. (I guess that would prove you didn't do this for vanity) Do you think that could be due to your restrictive diet?

And the newbies in this site...there are no set standards for the surgery. My nutritionist was telling me to eat 1200 calories two weeks after I had surgery and telling me to drink 64 ounces...so what do most people in this board do...panic... They panic because they can't get their protien in, they panic because they can't drink all the Water thief dumb ass nutritionist is telling who 99% of the time has no clue what they are talking about because they have never had this surgery. They don't talk about ketosis...I am on here telling people that you will be able to eat again. A lot more. And weight gain is possible. Lose as much as you can in the beginning. That is all I saying. You can do what you want and I expect everyone to do their research, but I hate hate hate seeing people who can't get those last pounds off and who are losing slow. We all go through this major surgery expecting to get thin and healthy. I just want everyone to reach their goal.

If this surgery is done for HEALTH and not VANITY then becoming a healthy individual is the goal' date=' not some arbitrarily chosen weight. People come in all shapes and sizes and a healthy weight for one person might not be for another simply because to maintain it, extreme measures must be taken. The point of the surgery is to create the ability to lose weight quickly to regain health and the ability replace bad habits with good ones--not create new bad habits in the opposite direction.

You and many others are eating a normal adult caloric range and are active and fit--the REAL GOAL.[/quote']

You bet it is for health!

A lot of us had comorbidities such as diabetes, high blood pressure or liver issues. In fact, most insurance plans require a BMI of 40+ or 35+ and comorbidities. I happen to be in the camp of 40+ BMI and high blood pressure. I am not proud of getting into this state of health. The reason for getting this surgery is because every day I thought would be my last day. ANd I am 36 years old. That is no way for a 36 year old to be thinking and I people in my life I care for. So I decided now was the day to put one foot in front of the other and break the destructive eating habits in my life. As I have been on every diet under the sun, surgery seemed like my last option. Fast forward 8 months from the start of pre-op, I am 4 months post-op and lost 120 lb. all my comorbidities are gone, I have a totally new outlook on life and for the first time, feel good about myself. Those reasons alone are much more important than dropping the weight. And yes, I no longer go to therapy because of the positive impact this surgery has had on me psychologically and physically.