Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Use Your First Six Months Wisely

Okay now I am freaking out! Of course I only read this "6 months" warning when I am 4 months out :( I lose slow, but I was thinking "it just takes time". I am 5'2" and the top of the healthy BMI chart for me is 137. So this is my goal (with my giant boobs that are NOT shrinking, this is a good weight). I started at 227 on July 3, and my weight is now 184, 43 pounds down and 47 to go. I am almost at 50% of extra weight gone. So are you saying I really only have 2 more months of losing time? That makes me so sad! I eat 1000 calories per day. I know you and most other people aren't hungry but I am. I get rumbly tummy and well, hungry, so I eat. I just don't know what to think or say, I'm sooo depressed right now :( Any encouragement, or am I just f$&@#d?

I'm 5'3" and eat 500 calories a day. I don't know how I could eat 1,000 at this point.

Okay now I am freaking out! Of course I only read this "6 months" warning when I am 4 months out :( I lose slow, but I was thinking "it just takes time". I am 5'2" and the top of the healthy BMI chart for me is 137. So this is my goal (with my giant boobs that are NOT shrinking, this is a good weight). I started at 227 on July 3, and my weight is now 184, 43 pounds down and 47 to go. I am almost at 50% of extra weight gone. So are you saying I really only have 2 more months of losing time? That makes me so sad! I eat 1000 calories per day. I know you and most other people aren't hungry but I am. I get rumbly tummy and well, hungry, so I eat. I just don't know what to think or say, I'm sooo depressed right now :( Any encouragement, or am I just f$&@#d?

No, no, no -- you're fine!! I also never lost my appetite/hunger, not even for a couple of days LOL. It took me at least a year to get to my original goal, and I kept losing just fine throughout that year. Some of us just lose a bit slower. There is no hard-and-fast rule or data that says you only lose in the first six months. So just keep trusting your sleeve and don't freak out -- enjoy the ride!! It's a fun one, for reals. GO YOU!!

I'm 5'3" and eat 500 calories a day. I don't know how I could eat 1,000 at this point.

I had no problem to eat 1000, but some sleeves are a bit larger than others. It doesn't make a difference over the longer run, but smaller sleeves do seem to drop weight faster initially. In the end, it all seems to even out.

ETA: Actually, by four months post-op, I could eat 1200.

I'm 5'3" and eat 500 calories a day. I don't know how I could eat 1' date='000 at this point.[/quote']

You are about 5 weeks out? No at that point I was eating about 500-700 calories per day. Things changed :( Sigh...

No' date=' no, no -- you're fine!! I also never lost my appetite/hunger, not even for a couple of days LOL. It took me at least a year to get to my original goal, and I kept losing just fine throughout that year. Some of us just lose a bit slower. There is no hard-and-fast rule or data that says you only lose in the first six months. So just keep trusting your sleeve and don't freak out -- enjoy the ride!! It's a fun one, for reals. GO YOU!![/quote']

Thanks Dee! But I am still worried now. I was so excited to be at 50%, but now I'm just sick and stressed with worry. I could eat more than 1000, but this is what I limit myself to. I keep close track by using my fitness pal. I know I need to drink more fluids, but it's hard. Okay... I'm off to drink... something. Drown my sorrows in some wine maybe, lol.

Okay now I am freaking out! Of course I only read this "6 months" warning when I am 4 months out :( I lose slow' date=' but I was thinking "it just takes time". I am 5'2" and the top of the healthy BMI chart for me is 137. So this is my goal (with my giant boobs that are NOT shrinking, this is a good weight). I started at 227 on July 3, and my weight is now 184, 43 pounds down and 47 to go. I am almost at 50% of extra weight gone. So are you saying I really only have 2 more months of losing time? That makes me so sad! I eat 1000 calories per day. I know you and most other people aren't hungry but I am. I get rumbly tummy and well, hungry, so I eat. I just don't know what to think or say, I'm sooo depressed right now :( Any encouragement, or am I just f&@#d?

[/quote']

i am always astounded when people take posts like this as fact. Have you done your research on the surgery? Any???? Typical weight loss is 60% in the first six months and then the balance over a longer period, typically up to a year, though it can be more. At two years you likely have met your goal or may be at the weight you'll stay at....but even that isn't a guarantee. At two years people are likely to begin gaining weight if they haven't changed their lifestyle because capacity of your stomach will be larger.

This person wrote crap and you avoid all research and take that for fact? Come on????

Thanks Dee! But I am still worried now. I was so excited to be at 50%' date=' but now I'm just sick and stressed with worry. I could eat more than 1000, but this is what I limit myself to. I keep close track by using my fitness pal. I know I need to drink more fluids, but it's hard. Okay... I'm off to drink... something. Drown my sorrows in some wine maybe, lol.[/quote']

Don't be worried. I am 10 months out, do 1000 calories a day, 70 Protein, 70 carbs, 100 oz of Water. Still dropping 2 pounds a week. Water WATER WATER and you will keep dropping. Diet is 80% of this process, exercise makes up only the other 20. This post is so not worth the worry.

Oh wow. I really wasn't going to post on here. Was just mildly amused. Now i'm not so amused.

Iggychic said exactly what I've been thinking. DO YOUR RESEARCH! No where ever have I read that people stop losing at 6 months, can live off their own fat, and can live on just Water for months. That wld throw a system into starvation mode so quickly.

I call BS on this post.

I agree with iggychik and doxie. None of this is based on scientific research or sound medical advice.

I stand by my original post...extremes got us here and extremes will serve us NO better on the "other side".

If you're gullible enough to believe some ridiculous post on a public forum instead if your surgeon, nutritionist and HUNDREDS of successful sleevers, by all means, go ahead with your bad self.

Personally' date=' I plan to only eat when I'm hungry.....[/quote']

You would be better off eating when "it's time." You don't know what kind of hunger you're going to have. You may never be hungry, or you may always be hungry. Plenty of people here still battle hunger post op.

Measure your foods, eat every 3 hours. Cutting your calories to extreme or exercising like a crazy person will only send your body into starvation mode and sabotage your weightloss, not to mention your health.

Extreme calorie deficit will send your body into a catabolic state, causing you to break down lean body tissue (muscle) for fuel. Guess what, that includes your heart.

Wow! Walk a mile in someone's shoes before you judge them. As for the question if I have done research, yes I have. One thing I can tell you is that information is consistently inconsistent. Even between my dr and my nutritionist, I get different info. Too much bullying in this world. What else is there to say. Actually a lot, but I won't stoop that low.

Im out only 21/2 weeks and can say this.... I WILL not starve myself! I am focusing on a LIFESTYLE change that includes balance. I strive for a healthy balance between healthy food and healthy exercise! I don't want to obsess, I want to live and work the tool I have been afforded. I find it best to listen and adhere to the advice of my surgeon and NUT. Following too many opinions will taint your focus.

Wow! Walk a mile in someone's shoes before you judge them. As for the question if I have done research' date=' yes I have. One thing I can tell you is that information is consistently inconsistent. Even between my dr and my nutritionist, I get different info. Too much bullying in this world. What else is there to say. Actually a lot, but I won't stoop that low.[/quote']

I have to say my surgeon and nutritionist don't always agree or match either. They are on the same team. She does share what my surgeon would say but usually offers a greater solution than a single answer. She doesn't subscribe to the protien first notion for example that I see here and believes a balanced plate of food is best. So I think it is best to stick to what you believe but always stay open minded enough to change it when needed. Best of luck.

I'm not going to starve myself either. I'm only 4 and a half weeks post op, and I usually get between 500-600 calories. And I'm not going to go to the gym for 3-4 hours a day either. Why? I work full-time, have a husband to cook for and a house to keep clean! Saturdays are spent with my horse and horse trainer and Sundays are for me and my husband. Yes, I do walk but not for 3 hours (except at the barn where I don't sit down for 4-5 hours plus riding multiple horses). I don't want to become addicted to something. I am addicted to food, and that will always be a lifelong battle. I've already made mistakes in my diet, but I'm human. I picked up and moved on. I'm actually headed to the grocery store in a few to get healthy/high Protein stuff for the week.