Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decided To Switch From Vsg To Rny

Dear Forum Friends,

Today I met with my surgeon and decided to switch from the vertical sleeve gastrectomy to the gastric bypass. It is a complex decision. I still think that the sleeve is a fantastic procedure. But I've decided to switch to the gastric bypass (even though I am self-pay and it is costing me several thousands of dollars more) because, in his opinion, it will help me deal with my love of sweets/surgary foods. I have found this forum to be a source of inspiration. I will be switching to the forum for the bypass. I'm staying on the same pre-op liquid diet. I wish every person great success in his or her weight loss journey. I appreciate all of the insights and inspiration from the posts in this forum.

Best of luck to you as well!

Meme, I wish you the best of luck. I almost decided to go with the by pass before I learned of the dumping affect.. I don't think I want to deal with that affect. Good luck in your future endeavors. Newman-51

All the best to you with your journey! It must feel so good to have a decision and a path forward. Good LUCK!!!!

I hope everything turns out just the way you want it and your journey is a huge success!

Good luck!

Good luck! You have to do what is best for you!

just a thought,

im less than 11months post op vsg and too much sugar makes me sick so i stay away from it. i just drink Water & stuff

best of luck to you!

I wish you the best of luck! Rock out the losers bench!! :-)

I am 4 1/2 months out and I can't eat anything with sugar in it, it makes me very sick!

Well, it turns out that the gastric bypass forum is not as sophisticated as the VSG forum. So I am going to stay here.

I am 4 1/2 months out and I can't eat anything with sugar in it, it makes me very sick!

I think that it is an advantage not to be able to eat anything with sugar in it. My surgeon told me that he revulsion to sugar that my surgery should create will retrain my brain. That's what I'm hoping for!

I think that the revulsion to sugar is a benefit! This is a way to retrain the brain to eat better. I'm hoping that my surgery will make me hate sugary foods. I'll definitely have to experience dumping syndrome because of the gastric bypass. I know that dumping syndrome is not pleasant but it will help my brain learn to make better food choices.

bakawaka,

Check out the forums on obesity help too. There are a lot of gastric bypass patients there. And the beloved eggface blog is written by someone who has the bypass. At my face-to-face support group, we've got people with both types of surgery and most everyone is doing well.

As far as dumping goes, although some VSGers can't tolerate sugar, I haven't run into that issue. I haven't really pigged out on sugar, but I can eat several Cookies, a piece of cake, several pieces of candy, etc all without it bothering me in the least. I didn't even try anything sugary till I was probably 4 months out though.

Best wishes on your journey,

Lynda

bakawaka,

Check out the forums on obesity help too. There are a lot of gastric bypass patients there. And the beloved eggface blog is written by someone who has the bypass. At my face-to-face support group, we've got people with both types of surgery and most everyone is doing well.

As far as dumping goes, although some VSGers can't tolerate sugar, I haven't run into that issue. I haven't really pigged out on sugar, but I can eat several Cookies, a piece of cake, several pieces of candy, etc all without it bothering me in the least. I didn't even try anything sugary till I was probably 4 months out though.

Best wishes on your journey,

Lynda

Lynda, thanks so much for your thoughts. My surgeon says that VSG and gastric bypass are actually very similar. He says that the recovery times are very similar. He also noted that it really was "up to me" which to choose but he thought that bypass has a slight advantage over VSG. I love carbohydrates - breads, Cookies, cakes as well as ice cream. I can avoid eating them if I don't see them (so I never have them in my home), but when I encounter them out of my home, I want to eat and not stop (lay's potato chips: you never can eat just one - well that's me!). So I'm hoping that the bypass will help me with that.

With the pre-op diet, I find that I am truly not physically hungry, but I daydream about potato chips, Bagels, scones, etc. So I would assume that post surgery I'll do the same. I'm hoping that the bypass will prevent me from enjoying them.

Good luck on your weight loss journey and thanks so much for your thoughts!