Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Days After Surgery Were You Able To Get Out Of The House?

To go grocery shopping, run errands, drive? I see that the avg time off work seems to be two weeks...how were you feeling week 2?

3 days post op I flew back home alone from MX, returned to work the next day, I was miserable and should not of done it but had used up all my vacation days.

NOT recommended.

I was great I thought at 1 week. I went to the grocery store and was weak and dizzy. By week 2 I felt better. I find that when im out i feel better with Water. I keep a bottle with me at all times. When i feel dizzy i drink. I am now 5 weeks out and I have no issues. I don't go back to work until 11/21 but I am ready. I didn't drive until my 4th week op. I had just one incision that bothered me so I decided to take it easy.

I was sleeved on Friday 10/26 and released from the hospital on 10/27. I did not drive but went to CVS and Walmart and walked around a little bit. Pain meds are my friend right now so I don't care about driving. This is my first surgery so I am more sore than anything else.

I was sleeved on Friday 10/26 and released from the hospital on 10/27. I did not drive but went to CVS and Walmart and walked around a little bit. Pain meds are my friend right now so I don't care about driving. This is my first surgery so I am more sore than anything else.

It gets better. Keep moving. Try not to stay resting.

It gets better. Keep moving. Try not to stay resting.

Great to hear. I was up and moving around earlier. Helping my mom (she is not a good cook) make dinner. LOL. I am weirdly satisfied by the smells of the food and the joy of preparing it. Very interesting......

I was sleeved Monday did close errands Wednesday (I drove) and took my mom to the airport Thursday (2hr round trip) I didn't take pain killers at home.

I was sleeved on a Monday, out of the hospital on Friday, out of the house walking a little on Saturday, walking progressively more over next week and back to work 3 weeks post op. I really didn't do well riding home in the car from the hospital or going out the next couple days riding in the car. Every bump in the road was painful. I started driving 3rd week post op. Do what feels comfortable for you. Do not feel like you need to rush the healing process and let someone else help with groceries, mail or other out-of-the house activities.

3 days after surgery I travelled from mexico to Ky. I felt pretty tired, but was able to do most things in 1 wk...

For all those driving home right after surgery, have your driver bring a pillow and put it in the car for you. When driving, hold that pillow against your stomach - the bumps on the road won't hurt nearly as bad. This is something I learned after having 2 c-sections. Hope it helps you too :)

I had my surgery on the 19th (open procedure) went home on on the 23rd. Went to Barns and Noble to grab a book I had on hold on the 24th, my hubby drove. I Drove on the 26th for a little bit, would say to wait a week and still have a small pillow to rest on at stop lights.

Good luck

Flew home from Mexico on day three. Walked, what seemed like the entire Atlanta airport. I was tired but did really well. Went back to work on day ten "desk job", with no problems. I probably took a nap every chance I got, for the first month.

Drove myself to Walmart PO day 3 to pick up a few things. It sounded like a good idea until I got there. I tired so easily and felt woozy.Good thing I had my Water with me. I had to sit a few minutes in the car before I attempted to drive home. A word to the wise, take your time, don't rush anything. Lesson learned1

I had surgery on a Monday morning, went home Tuesday early evening. On Wednesday my mom drove me to Walgreen's & the grocery store. I walked around both pushing a cart and felt fine. I drove (mom was passenger) on Thursday. I didn't take anything stronger than Tylenol after Wednesday at noon. Returned to work 10 days post surgery and felt fine. Perhaps a bit tired by the end of the day, but really not too bad.

Making yourself get out of the house, walking, drinking your fluids and getting enough Protein is key to having energy and feeling good.