Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Asked For About 65 - 70% Removal Rather Then Standard 80 To 85 Percent

So, I asked my Surgeon if I could have only 65 to 70 percent of my stomach removed rather then the standard 80 to 85 percent. He said he will honor my request, but would like to talk about it more during pre-op.

Has anyone else made requests like this? I know a lot of folks are completely happy and okay with the much smaller sleeve, but the idea of it taking me 25 minutes to finish 1 packet of oatmeal or 10 minutes to finish an 8 oz glass of Water is pretty extreme...

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, especially considering my current size and the fact that the lifestyle that led to me being over 400 lbs is pretty extreme also. I'm aware of all of this and I'm aware that it may make it more difficult to lose weight... I'll lose weight regardless, it's still 2/3 of my stomach gone. I'm sure that and a high Protein, low carb diet along with the modified VSG will suffice.

I'm curious to know if others have asked for a modified surgery or what you might think about this.

Thanks,

Bryan :rolleyes:

I would look at statistics on success rates with bigger sleeves vs standard sizes. No need to go through with it if it will ultimately not be a help to you. Just something to think about and discuss with your doc.

Personally- I eat too fast, and "get away" with it. I've tried and tried to slow down, but I pretty much eat at the normal speed. I can drink 8 oz of liquid in just a few minutes. Everyone has a different experience, but mine has been flawless and problem-free. It did not take me long to "eat normally" again. Just smaller and healthier.

My appetite has returned to some extent and some various cravings for carbs and sugars. It is a constant battle, but I know if I had more stomach, I'd be filling it. Just sayin'.....

So, there's that....

I'm obviously not an expert but can I ask whether it is the time factor you mention or is it the fact you are really not mentally ready to give up food completely? I'm only 9 weeks out but I can tell you that the mental part of this journey is the hardest part, the phsyical (sp) part not being able to eat is pretty easy. food was my best friend and my comfort when I'm sad, stressed, bored, lonely, to socialize, even cooking for family was a way I showed them love. To have all of that taken away in one 40 min procedure is a MAJOR life change. I can now literally eat 3 small bites of food and that's it until the next meal.

I have no idea the difference in success rate long-term with the larger sleeve but this is your choice and what's best for you. This is an irreversible procedure so you need to do what makes you comfortable. My only other possible thought is the sleeve is eventually going to stretch out a little at some point down the road and the this initial honeymoon of only being able to eat 3 oz of food at a time will over. Discuss with your surgeon but if you start with a larger sleeve in a couple years down the road you may only be at a 1/3 reduction vs a 2/3 reduction.

Things to think about but I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you make...keep us posted!

Hi Bryan,

As far as I know, I had the standard 85% reduction. It's my understanding there's a slight difference in bougie size, the individual's natural stomach size and the surgeon's own technique. I had a 36 bougie. Many ppl get the 34. I never had trouble drinking Water or Protein shakes in the beginning or eating when allowed. I know there are some ppl who say they can only eat a couple of bites for weeks / months. Just wanted to let you know not everyone experiences the same thing. Perhaps you should also discuss with the doctor a slightly larger bougie vs. a larger stomach. Definitely ask if the larger stomach size would give you the benefit of the hunger hormone "removal" as with an 85% stomach removal. Even with my "standard" sleeve, I don't feel like I ever lost the hunger like some ppl experience. I never forget to eat like some and certainly still enjoy the taste of food. Sometimes I feel like I can still eat A LOT. I know I have issues I need to work on including eating slower. It's an old habit that's hard to break. I would hate for you go through all the trouble of having surgery with it's risks and complications only to be unhappy with the results and the possibility of wanting/ needing additional surgery. Just something to think about. Definitely discuss with your surgeon.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing and what you decide.

I was self pay so I wanted to make sure mine was small enough that I never had to worry about going through a surgery like this again! I agree with the other poster, maybe you are not mentally ready to give up on eating so much. Let me tell you, once the weight starts falling off you will not miss all the food you used to consume at one sitting! I'm 4 months out and 87 lbs down so I kinda know what I'm saying is true.

My surgeon said 75% removal was "standard."

Funny how we are all so different! At my Pre-op I said to my surgeon, "Make my sleeve a tiny, gourmet banana - no plantains for me!!" of course he laughed, but I was serious! I appreciate that the sleeve will stretch eventually to accommodate what we take in-but for me, this is the LAST time I'll see the numbers on the scale that I now see FOREVER! This journey is far from easy, and I really just started, but I visualize me at my permanent small size and I'll do what it takes to get there and STAY there for the rest of my life! food is food. It's not love and it's not life! Good luck!

Bryan, I really hope that you do not get flamed for this comment bcs I think that MANY people fear the loss of food, you are just being honest about it.

So....I'm going to be honest back: Bryan, it REALLY sounds like you are not quite ready for this surgery. The 'loss' of good food is temporary, the loss of weight is permanent. . If you can't bear the thought of being even 'away' from food for a few short months, then mentally you are not ready. You are more than likely going to find ways to eat around your sleeve and it could be a disaster!!

Have you gone to the recipe forum on here? You'll see that it's not all doom and gloom. There are some pretty tasty creations post-op.

I'm enjoying my sleeve at 9 weeks out. I love the idea that I can sit and enjoy really good tasting food and only need 1/4 of what I ate before. This allows me to really buy high quality food and eat at better restaurants. So the quality of my food has improved immensely.

But, back to you: I strongly recommend that you have some sessions w a WLS therapist. Or, and i mean this w no disrespect or unkindness: don't have the surgery. This isn't a walk in the park, Bryan. It's serious stuff. If you aren't ready mentally to part with food, even temporarily, then you will be putting your health at risk post-surgery. Please step back and take a serious look at this surgery. It's not for wimps and how well you will really be able to handle the limits post-op. Because no matter what the size, you'll still have the post-op limits & discomfort. I wish you all the best and truly hope that you can work thru this.

BTW: read the post on here 'I don't like food anymore.'

Doesn't happen to everyone, but it's pretty common and you can find posts like that all over this forum. If this happens to you, will be able to handle it?

Again, I am NOT flaming you or jumping all over you, I'm trying to help you see the realities of this surgery.

You are flameproof, Brian. We have a large fire brigade ready to put out any flames and prosecute the arsonists. :)

I had the same thought before my sleeving. My surgeon also tried to talk me into the gastric bypass that my wife got. He felt I had more chance of success with it. I knew I had the moxie to see it through to my goal weight. I still have 7 pounds to go but I'm in the best shape that I have ever been since I was a bodybuilder.

That small amount that I can eat has not been as bad as I had envisioned. The times you cited are ideal times to finish things and if you stuck by those rates of eating and drinking you would do well but I most assuredly do not eat and drink that slowly. I slow myself down by consious effort and it is better when I do but I don't go that slow. I have changed from a fast chugger and eater to one that tries to savor his intake.

I like the previous posts. All experiences vary, you'll find the sweet spot. Your attitude toward food and it's relationship to your life is as big a tool as the sleeve.

I have my pre op next week and was thinking about this for two reasons. First my step mom had it done and she had about 65-75% taken out. I saw what she has been able to do with it and she is very successful. Also I have a very sensitive stomach and get sick to my stomach about everytime I eat. I am worried with it being so small. I am not sure what to do.

At 6 months out I am no longer sipping... but I can't chug either it is a balance. Depending on the food I am at anywere from a 1/2 cup to a cup.... I have a zucchini Soup that I make that I can handle a cup because it is so thin but if it heavy like chicken it changes to 1/2 cup. There are times that is less than that so I put it down and eat it later... I also find that if I have a craving a small bite will take care of it.

Bryan you are welcome to message me also, but I had my surgery only after they found a tumor in my stomach that would need to be removed anyway. The decision to proceed with the full sleeve developed after I discovered that partial stomach removal has almost no long term effect on weight loss.

This surgery is only "new" in light of safer procedures, newer instruments, a bit more advanced tech, and such along those lines...partial stomach removal to various degrees occur due to cancer, trauma, loss of blood flow, benign tumors, necrotic conditions due to blockage of valve or ulcers, etc.

In the long term, even just the time it would take you to reasonably lose the weight, it provides no difference.

There are many theories on this but mainly that you just have a smaller tummy. You do not have a sleeve. if you leave more than a tube you have more than a tube.

If the extremem aspect of it all is unappealing, it seems perhaps you should re-explore this, while maintaining a modest diet, because from what i researched last year it takes a sizeable loss to distract the gerhlin reaction, among other things.

Seriously, though, I dont want to blast you - and I wll message yo or talk to you over the phone...I want you to understand my sincerety - underlying yo uare not basing your choice on anything other than yo dont want complications, and you wan to be able to eat without the effort you are hearing is involved. But here is what you are doing: you are taxing your body, costing yourself and/or others time, resources and such for something you will still have to heal from, still have to go through the liquids, still eat less and yes, still have to take smaller bites - the reference to how fast or how long does nt have to do with the pouch size as much as you just had your stomach cut out - you still have to do all these things.

You are doing math on your tummy - you need to think volume. Think a circle, and its circumference, now, what you are going to do is nto just add a "little" to your ability to eat. It will be much more.

At 6 months out I am no longer sipping... but I can't chug either it is a balance. Depending on the food I am at anywere from a 1/2 cup to a cup.... I have a zucchini Soup that I make that I can handle a cup because it is so thin but if it heavy like chicken it changes to 1/2 cup. There are times that is less than that so I put it down and eat it later... I also find that if I have a craving a small bite will take care of it.

I like what you said about a small bite taking care of a craving, Jeni. That's what I call paying attention to your body!

When we crave, what do we really want? Is it a taste in our mouth or the feeling in our stomach?

Our taste buds offer us a wide variety of perceptions. Our stomach feels just about the same no matter what we put into it; it's either full or not full or somewhere in between. It has little ability to distinguish.

The taste is the craving and one taste slowly savored equals many tastes gobbled down to our detriment. It's not the volume of food we are after, it's the satisfaction of senses stimulated and entertained.

I was self pay so I wanted to make sure mine was small enough that I never had to worry about going through a surgery like this again! I agree with the other poster, maybe you are not mentally ready to give up on eating so much. Let me tell you, once the weight starts falling off you will not miss all the food you used to consume at one sitting! I'm 4 months out and 87 lbs down so I kinda know what I'm saying is true.

It's not that I'm scared about the idea of not having the capacity to eat as much as I currently do, it's the idea that I will be relegated to such a super extreme version of this. Taking 30 minutes to eat 2 oz. of meat and a 1/3 cup of veggies seems pretty absurd "no offense." The thing is, I do have poor eating habits and unfortunately I'm a quantity eater. I would just like to have a smaller stomach that limits me, but not to such an extreme amount.