Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do U Mean By That?

Ok this might be a silly question but for you post sleevers who say you cannot tolerate certain foods. What were the signs that your sleeve didn't like that food? Do u get a stomach ache? Loose bm? Just wanted an idea of what I would be feeling. Surgery is almost here. November 6th! Can't wait!

stomach ache, heartburn, nausa, vomiting, gas, loose bm. I haven't found it yet, but some people the foods that they liked before don't taste good or visa versa. It's kinda trial and error. My biggest things are overeating or eating too fast. Both of which are very uncomfortable.

Hmm.. in my case it wasn't a super bad feeling and I never got sick. But when I say I can't tolerate a specific food .. ie. reheated poultry. The sensation is similar to haven eaten 2 thanksgiving dinners... I feel overstuffed and a little uncomfortable even though I've had 1 bite (chewed well) . I normally just stop eating and wait until the feeling passes. Then eat something I know I can handle better. This has only occurred with Shrimp ( early solid food time), poultry and egg salad. I can tolerate all these now but re-heated poultry is still something I avoid.

If I eat to fast or an item has too much sugar ( i.e. happen w/ Atkins prot bar ) I get real HOT! ( almost like a hot flash or temp. ) and feel slightly disoriented. ( might be too strong a word).. But I feel a little "out of it!" This usually passes w/in 15-20 min as well.

If I eat close to "full", I get hiccups. I try to stop well b4 hiccups.

Gosh, I don't know. I've not eaten a bite that didn't agree with me. Not the food, per se....

HOWEVER....if you eat too much, too fast and/or too fatty....you will feel like you're going to barf and get kinda weak and sweaty...just a weird feeling. Then you will get the runs within minutes. What bypass patients call "dumping." It's supposed to be different than what they get, but it is very similar.

Early on I thought I was having problems with dairy, but eventually I figured out that the very loose stools were due to the post-op antibiotics. It cleared up as soon as I finished taking the antibiotics, and started eating mushies and solids. I have not problems with dairy now (5+ months post-op), but I don't drink regular milk (only unsweetened almond milk, once in a while). cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. are all well tolerated (and loved!)

Now my biggest challenge is eating too fast (I still haven't learned how to slow down enough!), and occasionally eating too much . Just ONE bite too much can send me into bad stomach pain and I have to lie down or walk around (no sitting, crunching my stomach together even more!). And I get the "slimies" where I have excess saliva production, have to swallow alot and wait for it to pass. Not fun!

I also get hiccups when I'm full or slightly past full.

My surgery is 11/6 as well, great question I was wondering about that too

Thanks guys! That is exactly what I was wondering. Hopefully I will figure out what my sleeve can tolerate early on and not have too many issues. 12 more days till surgery.

I still get uncomfortable when I get full. In some ways this is a great deterent to over eating a sort of aversion therapy if you will. You do not want to repeat that feeling. Measuring is good for keeping the portion controlled.

Early on if something didn't jive, I would feel nauseated and have to vomit, sometimes sliming as well, a thick mucus...gosh I hate remembering that feeling.

Solid Protein really gives that crazy sense of fullness...I can almost see why some want to gravitate toward slider foods that go down easy and don't seem to give you that uncomfortable feeling, but the down side is that you will probably gain weight!!

There are times when I feel "just right" but those times are not as often as either feeling hungry or too full. And you get full FAST.

I guess it just takes time to normalize....but believe me, I love the results!!!

Sometimes food feels like lead just sitting in my tummy making me very very uncomfortable

I'm having an interesting and sometimes frustrating trial and error journey with food. I was sleeved 9/4. I can eat pretty much anything as long as I eat slowly and take small bites.

I am finding that sweets taste MUCH sweeter than they used to and my old favorite ice cream makes me really nauseous. Which makes me both happy and sad at the same time ;p

If I eat too much or too fast I either get the slimes and/or puke it back up. Even if it's just drinking Water. It also seems my stomach does not like anything too greasy anymore. Again, I think that's a good thing :)

You'll figure it out. Everyone's different. Congrats and best of luck!

Stuck feeling , dumping which is shaky fast heart rate and loose stool almost right away , sometimes lots of mucous and slimes ... It sucks but it only happens when I eat too fast

Gosh' date=' I don't know. I've not eaten a bite that didn't agree with me. Not the food, per se....

HOWEVER....if you eat too much, too fast and/or too fatty....you will feel like you're going to barf and get kinda weak and sweaty...just a weird feeling. Then you will get the runs within minutes. What bypass patients call "dumping." It's supposed to be different than what they get, but it is very similar.[/quote']

I got that twice and not fun at all.