Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Bmi Success Stories?

I have a high BMI. Over 50, which I am working to lose weight to get it down. I understand the higher the BMI, the higher the risk.

I would love feedback from those who had a BMI over 50 and who've gone to Mx and had a positive experience/care in respect to your higher BMI risk.

Amanda Rae

I started this journey with a BMI of 49, but I did not have my surgery in Mx, I had mine in Oxford, Ms. I did not have any problems (except for popping a stitch by turning over in the bed to far) I'm down 87 lbs in 4 months!

I had a few complications - internal bleeding post surgery which kept me in the hospital for a week, and had an incision open up when i got home which was a bloody mess (literally :) - BMI was close to 57 when i started. My husband had his vsg two weeks before i did and sailed though with no problems at all. We had our surgery in the states - a good friend has a high BMI (in the 70's) and they won't operate on her in Mexico - told her she needs it to be lower for a safe surgery.

Even with the complications I experienced, which are nothing compared to some - and those seem to be a fairly small percentage - it is the best thing we have ever done for ourselves and i would do it again in a heartbeat.

How about 50.9 BMI? I was 375# and am now down to 205. As I've stated many times on the forum that I'd like to lose more but i just don't think it's going to happen. I seem to be at my ideal weight for a 50 YO 6' male. I look good, so I'm told. I can just squeeze into a size medium top and 34 pants but usually elect for the comfort of a large top and 36 pants. My tummy is flat and my arms and legs are thin. I've achieved what I set out to do. 2 checkups in a row and I've got stellar results, ALL my blood work is superb and all my health issues are a thing of the past. The only "problem" I still have is low testosterone which I was diagnosed with a few years prior to WLS. It's common enough issues with men my age and I've reduced the amount of supplemental T I take down to 1/8 of what I started at.

I have insurance but elected to NOT use it. I had the money and want a VSG and not a bypass - which is what the local docs here are pushing. I also wanted it NOW rather than 6 months to a year form now. So I made the leap. I DO NOT recommend it to everyone else but in my case it has worked out splendidly. By the time my surgery time would of rolled around I had already lost most of my excess weight by instead going with self-pay in MX.

It worked for me.

My bmi was 62.4 when I got it done...

Now it is 41.3

Mine is currently 57 and I'm trying to get it down to 49. Dr Lopez, my surgeon in TJ, specializes in high BMI patients but I reduce risk and cost if I get it under 50.

Amanda Rae

I was definitely in 50's BMI... Had surgery in MX 5/28 -- down 65lbs. No complications surgery wise :-). Need to add a little Fiber to my diet is only issue I run into occasionally :-)

I'm thrilled w/ results and looking to lose more!

Anesthesia scares me, especially considering my weight and sleep apnea. The whole, never waking up fear? Gives me anxiety tummy. It helps to know that people like me have made it through safely and successfully.

Amanda Rae

I have a BMI of 73 Dr. Lopez is doing my surgery. I started a diet now so I can get as close to 50 as I can

I have a BMI of 73 Dr. Lopez is doing my surgery. I started a diet now so I can get as close to 50 as I can

I'm dieting too to get down to 49 too.

Amanda Rae

I'm at like 49.5 or something, I'm squeaking in just under the line.

Even though I am not over 50 BMI, I still went with Lopez, because he does high BMI work. I started @ 46 BMI, and am now down to 43 through 1 month pre-op, and mild exercise. I felt like if he does High BMI, he must be extra careful and very good. Good luck on getting down! One day at a time is what I keep telling myself. I go on Nov 3rd.

Even though I am not over 50 BMI' date=' I still went with Lopez, because he does high BMI work. I started @ 46 BMI, and am now down to 43 through 1 month pre-op, and mild exercise. I felt like if he does High BMI, he must be extra careful and very good. Good luck on getting down! One day at a time is what I keep telling myself. I go on Nov 3rd.[/quote']

Good luck to you! I have until March so there is time.

Amanda Rae

I started out with a bmi of 65. I was able to get it down to 61 by surgery. I was a little worried because of my sleep apnea. But surgery was great. No complications. And at 10 1/2 weeks post op, my bmi is already down to 51!

I started out with a bmi of 65. I was able to get it down to 61 by surgery. I was a little worried because of my sleep apnea. But surgery was great. No complications. And at 10 1/2 weeks post op' date=' my bmi is already down to 51!

[/quote']

My worries too. sleep apnea. I understand they intubate during surgery and put your cpap on you in the OR.

Amanda Rae