Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

30 pounds in 16 weeks is 1.6 pounds average per week. We're only supposed to lose a pound a week, two at most. You are succeeding. It's just hard to get used to how erradic it is, especially uuntil the fills kick in. Say it.... I am succeeding.

I haven't been online in a while, and it's so exciting to see how much everyone has lost. I guess I'm a little behind the curve, but I'm tickled to death with my 20 pounds. I'm getting into clothes I've had buried in my closet for years!

I haven't been exercising, since we're on 60-hour weeks at work, so I figure if I can just make it through tax season without gaining any back, I'll be able to start concentrating on losing.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I've had 2 fills and I can eat alot. The problem is I don't realize I've had too much until hours later, when I have a lump in my throat that stays with me for days. Sometimes I think I can feel the food in the back of my throat - is that even possible? I can't PB (I've tried) and my throat and chest hurt, but liquids go down fine. I wish I could feel full or at least PB, because I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself since I don't know when I've had enough.

So I think I need to do more small meals instead of the 2 biggies I'm used to, but old habits sure die hard.

I owuld say that if you can eat big meals then you need a fill. You should not be able to eat more than a cup or so without feeling really full. Now literally if I eat too much it backs up on the way down. Can't get liquid thru or anything. Like a big traffic jam!

ok got a question we are all about 19 weeks out ..Well i am and i have lost about 20 pounds ...I know this is slow compaired to others and i know do not compaire to others ...But is anyone else in this boat with me. I feel like a loser and not in a good way. I have 2.5 in a 4cc band and i am going to go for another fill on SAturday since i can eat everything in sight right now.

You're right about not comparing! It's so different for everyone. I read about people who never seem to need a fill! I didn't lose until my first fill, after my first or second fill...never felt restriction...and now I'm living the bandster life after 3 fillls...and some people seem to need as many as 7! I'm impatient short term, and keep needing to tell myself we are in this for the long term results. Hmm. Actually 19 weeks and 20 pounds is a major success! We're only supposed to average 1-2 pounds a week, so you are right on the money, without even having hit your sweet spot yet! I'd say that's WAY exciting.

I get that back of the throat feeling too, but now that I have the right fill, it is my signal that I'm full, and it's not an after the fact thing. I thought it meant I was too full, but doc says it is a referred feeling from farther down and not actually in my throat, even though it feels like it. I've also heard someone talk about having an easily irritated esophagus and I'm wondering if that might feel like it's in the throat too.

Tom-I think I only have 1.6 or something like that in my band, and I think it is a 4cc band, but like I said, he says that is more than most of his other patients. And it's not like I am not losing, I just feel like I should be a little more restricted than I am. Something to stop me from overeating whether I am able to or not! But, I know that it could still kick in here pretty soon, so I am trying to be patient. I never have days where food will not go down-ever. Once in a while something gets stuck for a few seconds, but that is usually when I have not chewed well enough. SO, like I said, I am trying to be patient, but it is hard. Right now for example, I am starting to feel hungry, and it has only been 2 1/2 hours since I ate breakfast--some egg beaters w/cheese, and a half an english muffin. That should have been enough to keep me satisfied for a while, shouldn't it? Frustrating!!!

I was feeling the same way and the doc said that I needed a fill. It really is different this time.

ok got a question we are all about 19 weeks out ..Well i am and i have lost about 20 pounds ...I know this is slow compaired to others and i know do not compaire to others ...But is anyone else in this boat with me. I feel like a loser and not in a good way. I have 2.5 in a 4cc band and i am going to go for another fill on SAturday since i can eat everything in sight right now.

YES! I even said this to my doctor and he said (I know I said this before) THAT HIS AVERAGE PATIENT NEEDS 6-7 FILLS TO GET IT RIGHT. You should feel similar to how you did after surgery and you will know when you are there. He said if I this fill (my 3rd) isn't quite there, and if I don't feel ANY change, call him at once and we will re adjust! I hear ya, I felt like I was a failure and this wasn't working for me.... IT WILL!

It's a funny thing, this band. My "typical day lately has been that I can only stomach a Protein Shake for Breakfast, a tiny bit for lunch, and a decent dinner. So now it's changing to a little food for breakfast, a big lunch, and a little bit for dinner. sometimes it's hard to keep up with this little guy. He has a mind of his own.

Thanks, Fellow Bandsters, for all your fill stories!! I have been so down and discouraged, and you have helped bring my spirits up. I will try harder to be more patient during this process..... and I appreciate the info and experiences that you share. This is a great group---thanks!!!:clap2:

Karen

Thanks, Fellow Bandsters, for all your fill stories!! I have been so down and discouraged, and you have helped bring my spirits up. I will try harder to be more patient during this process..... and I appreciate the info and experiences that you share. This is a great group---thanks!!!:clap2:

Karen

Karen,

Sorry about about not being able to get your fill!:think I hope they rescheduled you for very soon! They need to squeeze you in somehow... le t me know!

:)

So, I have a question--do most of you snack in-between meals, or are you just eating 3 meals a day? It seems like I am wanting a snack around 10:00 every morning. Sometimes I have one, sometimes not. I am kinda bummed cuz this is the first week since I had my surgery that I have not lost any weight. I didn't gain any either, though, so I know it is stupid to be upset, but I had just been on such a roll!! I am in the gym almost every day though, so maybe I have gained muscle, which weighs more than fat, right? ANyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Karen,

Sorry about about not being able to get your fill!:think I hope they rescheduled you for very soon! They need to squeeze you in somehow... le t me know!

:)

Thanks Angela! Yes, I will go next week for the fill. They tried to put me off for 2 weeks, but I almost started crying! I reminded them that I have a hemotoma at the port site and the doctor had wanted to see me in 6-8 weeks, and now it is 9 weeks... and that 2 more would be totally unacceptable. So they are squeezing me in next Monday. Amazing what a little assertiveness will do! :mad:

:) :) Karen

So, I have a question--do most of you snack in-between meals, or are you just eating 3 meals a day? It seems like I am wanting a snack around 10:00 every morning. Sometimes I have one, sometimes not. I am kinda bummed cuz this is the first week since I had my surgery that I have not lost any weight. I didn't gain any either, though, so I know it is stupid to be upset, but I had just been on such a roll!! I am in the gym almost every day though, so maybe I have gained muscle, which weighs more than fat, right? ANyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I ABSOLUTELY eat more than 3 meals a day. Even for "normal" people, many suggests 4-5 small meals a day and especially with the band, you need to eat small, frequent "meals". (A friend calls them "feedings" because it isn't a meal.) Eating more frequently does two things. First of all, it doesn't increase the size of your pouch so smaller amounts will make you feel full. Our stomachs pre-banding held what they did because we ate so much we stretched them out. You can do the same to your new pouch so watch the amount of food at any one time. Secondly, you'll have more energy and a higher metabolism if you feed your body more frequently throughout the day.

I typically have a cup of V8 around 7:00, a pouched egg and 1/2 banana or similar amount of other fruit with 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and 1/2 of a whole wheat English Muffin around 8:00. At 11:00, I'll have a couple ounces of lean meat and 1/2 cup of a vegetable. Around 2:00 I'll have a Protein Bar. Around 4:00 I'll have a yogurt smoothie. I'll eat dinner around 8:00 which is similar to by 11:00 feeding. Depending on how late I'm up, I may also have a small "snack" around 11:00. I don't usually go much more than 3 hours between feedings and drink Water in between.

Tom

Tom-I think I only have 1.6 or something like that in my band, and I think it is a 4cc band, but like I said, he says that is more than most of his other patients. And it's not like I am not losing, I just feel like I should be a little more restricted than I am. Something to stop me from overeating whether I am able to or not! But, I know that it could still kick in here pretty soon, so I am trying to be patient. I never have days where food will not go down-ever. Once in a while something gets stuck for a few seconds, but that is usually when I have not chewed well enough. SO, like I said, I am trying to be patient, but it is hard. Right now for example, I am starting to feel hungry, and it has only been 2 1/2 hours since I ate breakfast--some egg beaters w/cheese, and a half an english muffin. That should have been enough to keep me satisfied for a while, shouldn't it? Frustrating!!!

My first fill was 1.5 cc and it seem to work for maybe 10 days. After that, I thought I could eat anything. After 3 weeks (my doctor will only fill as frequently as once every three weeks), I got another 1/2 cc. Again, about 10 days I did great and then back to hungry. He adjusted again and miscalculated and put in a bit over 3 cc and I spent 4 days in misery. It would take 45+ minutes to sip 4 ounces of a Protein Shake. Even Water was a challenge to get through. He took out 1/2 cc, which is where I'm at now, and for me, seems to be the right place. I have to be VERY careful or I get food stuck and have to "reposition" (throw up) the food. If I'm good and eat the right kinds of food, and eat them slowly and chew, chew, chew, I'm fine. I debated getting just a touch out but think I'll try to stay as is for awhile. I definitely will not be adding to it Monday when I go back to the doctor.

The doctor uses my weight from our first appointment in August as my pre-banding weight. While they weighed me at the hospital, I don't think their scale was anywhere near right as it was 10 pounds less than 5 days before and I lived it up the last few days. I weighed myself 5 days before surgery (on my birthday) and was 2 pounds heavier than I was for my August appointment so I need to lose 2 more pounds by Monday so I'll be down 50 pounds per his numbers.

Tom

Yesterday, I looked in the mirror, and I saw it.. me 53 lbs thinner. It honestly scared the hell out of me. My first thought was how many people end up divorced after weight loss surgury, and my second thought was "Will my hubby still love me if I am thinner?" Sounds crazy, but I was terrified. I went to find him, and he reasure me that he loves me and always will no matter what I look like. Funny, I never felt insecure at 350.. pretty much knew my man loved me and at 6'1" tall, I knew I was overweight, but I saw myself more a "force to be recconed" with than a "fat slob" Now that I am getting there.. I am bouncing between 264-267 lbs, I see it... I see the old Misty emerging. My hubby Ben, never knew me thin, and I was insecure about it.

Has anyone else gone thru this? Do I need to go back to the therepist??

He did make me feel better. He kindly pointed out that he thought it might be better when I was thinner, not harder. I think he is right.

The mind is a crazy place..

Misty

I went to Spivak's support group last night. There were a half dozen people there who had lost well over 100 pounds. I was shocked. The big losers were also aggressive dieters, eating around 600 calories a day, far less than I eat. I guess I have to decide if I have those aggressive goals. Here's a sample of a day's menu for these folks....

1/2 yogurt for breakfast-save the other half for a snack.< /p>

lettuce and tomatoes for lunch.< /p>

meat and vege for dinner.< /p>

no Snacks except that half yogurt

aerobic workout 5 days a week.

Have I been in the dark???? I eat twice that much per day and I can't imagine filling up on half a yogurt.