Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Does Eating Get Easier?

I was thrilled when I got the ok to move onto soft foods earlier this week and for the most part things are going down well but I do experience some discomfort. Will eating ever feel "normal" again?

The short answer is yes. It took me 2 months to feel like I could "eat normally" that is eating without feeling like there was a large chunk of food stuck in my throat. I can now comfortably eat 4oz at a time depending on what it is. I measure everything. I get my Protein first then veggies.

It takes a while to learn how to eat small enough bites and how to eat slowly enough to avoid discomfort. You're probably still not there yet. You get to purees and the food sounds good and looks good but you can't get your brain to understand that you can only eat two or three bites, not the 2 oz. or 4 oz. you'll work up to once you're fully healed.

It only took me a few weeks to realize what my limits were on those softer foods. But it took much longer before I could reach my nutritional goals on a daily basis and eat enough in a meal that I wasn't forced to nibble around the clock to get enough nutrition.

It takes time. Be thankful that you're tolerating food well. Try to slow it down or go with smaller bites, stopping as soon as you get a cue from your body that you're done. My cues were a runny nose or hiccups. If I went even one bite past that I'd experience discomfort. You should not be feeling discomfort simply from eating if you've followed your post op diet plan, so if you still have that once you're sure you're going slow and small enough, it might be cause to contact your surgeon.

Good luck. This stage passes more quickly than you think and you'll take eating a "normal" meal for granted in a few months, mostly forgetting what a challenge it is in the beginning.

~Cheri

Thank you SO much! I have to keep reminding myself I am only 17 days out :-)

I am12 weeks out...I don't even feel like I have had the surgery now...........I have lost 59 lb and now at standstill for 2 weeks...no weight loss at all...I still have 44 lb to get off......I am now hungry allllllllll the time.......I feel very fat today....I have had about 30 grapes throughout the day.....and 6 crackers with cheese.....1 Protein Shake and 2 bottles of water......the grapes and crackers all all I can eat without turning them down....I cant do veges or anything else...........I have had so many grapes today that I feel huge and fat............I'm going to start having a shake at dinner....for dinner and see if it gets me through the night without grapes and crackers..........anyone got any input for me....????

I am12 weeks out...I don't even feel like I have had the surgery now...........I have lost 59 lb and now at standstill for 2 weeks...no weight loss at all...I still have 44 lb to get off......I am now hungry allllllllll the time.......I feel very fat today....I have had about 30 grapes throughout the day.....and 6 crackers with cheese.....1 Protein shake and 2 bottles of Water......the grapes and crackers all all I can eat without turning them down....I cant do veges or anything else...........I have had so many grapes today that I feel huge and fat............I'm going to start having a shake at dinner....for dinner and see if it gets me through the night without grapes and crackers..........anyone got any input for me....????

You are eating a lot of carbs, they may me fueling that hunger. Try getting in more Protein in. It will satisfy longer.

It takes a while to learn how to eat small enough bites and how to eat slowly enough to avoid discomfort. You're probably still not there yet. You get to purees and the food sounds good and looks good but you can't get your brain to understand that you can only eat two or three bites' date=' not the 2 oz. or 4 oz. you'll work up to once you're fully healed.

It only took me a few weeks to realize what my limits were on those softer foods. But it took much longer before I could reach my nutritional goals on a daily basis and eat enough in a meal that I wasn't forced to nibble around the clock to get enough nutrition.

It takes time. Be thankful that you're tolerating food well. Try to slow it down or go with smaller bites, stopping as soon as you get a cue from your body that you're done. My cues were a runny nose or hiccups. If I went even one bite past that I'd experience discomfort. You should not be feeling discomfort simply from eating if you've followed your post op diet plan, so if you still have that once you're sure you're going slow and small enough, it might be cause to contact your surgeon.

Good luck. This stage passes more quickly than you think and you'll take eating a "normal" meal for granted in a few months, mostly forgetting what a challenge it is in the beginning.

~Cheri[/quote']

I just started soft puréed food today. Four or five bites that was it. Felt a bit sad. Your post was really encouraging. Thanks!

im 14 weeks post op.. and yes in time you will be back to eating the new normal way that you have to get used to... at this point i can eat pretty much anything in small amounts. if i over eat or not chew properly i do get a very full feeling that sometimes hurts and def can't gulp down a beverage and food at the same time it causes discomfort and pain. best way is to stick to your diet phases once your in the puree stage you will be able to tolerate more and work your way to reg food .. good luck

The short answer is yes. It took me 2 months to feel like I could "eat normally" that is eating without feeling like there was a large chunk of food stuck in my throat. I can now comfortably eat 4oz at a time depending on what it is. I measure everything. I get my Protein first then veggies.

I am 5 weeks post op and since last night I've felt like I've got food stuck in my throat....I was fine after I ate dinner, then about an hour later it hit me...how often did this happen to you and how long did it last? I thought for sure by morning the feeling would be gone.

Thank you for this great advice to this thread.

I was sleeved 11/23. I am learning what I can tolerate now. I can barely get the carton of cottage cheese down. I drink warm tea on the morning and that helps. My spasms are rare, thankfully.

I do feel some hunger pains mainly when I forget my Protein shakes. I've Tried a few soft foods too soon and my body lets me know it. That nauseous feeling and lump in the throat is awful !!

Slow advancement is the key.

I am 5 weeks post op and since last night I've felt like I've got food stuck in my throat....I was fine after I ate dinner' date=' then about an hour later it hit me...how often did this happen to you and how long did it last? I thought for sure by morning the feeling would be gone.[/quote']

After every meal I felt like there was something stuck, but it usually went away within a few hours. This happened until about 8 weeks out. My surgeon prescribed a medicine called ondansetron for nausea and ti relieve that stuck feeling.

I am 5 weeks post op and since last night I've felt like I've got food stuck in my throat....I was fine after I ate dinner' date=' then about an hour later it hit me...how often did this happen to you and how long did it last? I thought for sure by morning the feeling would be gone.[/quote']

I was thrilled when I got the ok to move onto soft foods earlier this week and for the most part things are going down well but I do experience some discomfort. Will eating ever feel "normal" again?

It may not ever but it will become tolerable. I am 1 year post-op and I still eat baby food, mashed potatoes, but also chicken, turkey burgers etc.. U will be able to eat what u want but still small amounts of it.. It will be ok

It's been a year and I have lost 68lbs.. I have not gained but I'm @ a stand still needing to really readjust my diet & carefully watch everything I eat.. It's so frustrating but grateful @ the same time... I want to lose another 15 to 20 lbs... Is anyone else experiencing these issues??