Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Have A Conundrum Need To Vent....

So I get the morning call from the boss as always before he comes in. And today he tells me how his happy I'm getting this surgery and that is 100% supporting my desicion for doing this. Then he tells me that he knows I'm going to be away for 10 days but since he know how surgeries are and the mayor toll it takes on an individual ("he had a kidney transplant and removal also cancer in the stomach so he has been through hell and back") he wants to bring his Granddaugther as a Temp until I come back and he wants me to train her on my daily routine (I'm and office administrator).

He was very nice told me that even though I'm not perfect they all love me in the office and I'm good at what I do (it's a family owned business there is only 8 of us here) and they want me to be healthy and come back that my job will be waiting for me when I'm ready.

They truly are great people and very understanding but I don't know what to make of this I would be devasted if I loss my job with this new life and all the expenses that come with it plus all my othere expenses rent, bills, etc etc etc. I really don't know what to think just needed to let out before I do or say something stupid and make a fool out of myself in the office.

One thing I can tell you I'm not turning back now my day is Nov 5th and this is not going to stop me. But I'm truly concern :( :( :'( :'(

Ask for a private meeting and tell him how you feel. Explain your concerns and listen to what he says and what his body language tells you.

Otherwise you're just going to drive yourself crazy!

This is the type of situation I say need a bit of "pessimistic optimism".

Spiffy up your resume, make every minute count, undertrain the newbie :o, and get yor resume out there, just in case...

I agree with both previous posters - have that talk, then get ready just in case the body language doesn't jive with the mouth moving.

Have the One on One talk with the boss. As the others suggested.

Do Not let your emotions play in the talk. All business.

Just let him know your concern and get him to promise/guarantee you are not losing your job.

Then Relax and enjoy. Get your surgery and see where his honesty is..

Good Luck.

IMABear

Your rights should be protected by the American Disabilities Act. An employer can't just fire you just because you are taking time off to attend to a health matter. Is there any reason to believe that he would be planning something different than what he is telling you verbally or are you just feeling insecure?

I would have a frank discussion before you leave to clarify that there is not an underlying issue that you should be made aware of.

Your rights should be protected by the American Disabilities Act. An employer can't just fire you just because you are taking time off to attend to a health matter. Is there any reason to believe that he would be planning something different than what he is telling you verbally or are you just feeling insecure?

I would have a frank discussion before you leave to clarify that there is not an underlying issue that you should be made aware of.

I agree 100%!! Legally he can't fire you.

But take a step back. Do talk to him like others have said. If he gives no clue, then be relieved. You will either come back to no backlog OR she'll have misfiled everything!! He may really only be trying to be nice. A small business can't afford a nasty law suit. But DO talk to him face to face.

Isn't she just a temp? I wouldn't stress about this, you are going to be out of the office for 2 weeks, someone has to fill the void to get the work done. When you are out on vacation, who fills the void?

Actually they can just fire you. The Family and Medical Leave Act is only for those who work in an office with more than 50 employees.

The American Disabilities Act is for someone with an existing disability, though it's kind of broad. No way you win a suit though by undergoing a voluntary procedure.

I know in my job I don't dare tell them what this is for because there is no way I would have it when I came back. I'm only taking a week off and am still a little worried.

Thank you guys all these things have crossed my mind sitting here at my desk. I don't believe there is a reason that they would want to get rid of me and they are all so very nice to me. I guess I felt insecure when he said that to me and feared that I would lose my job I already send a message to my boss to have a talk with me on the training of his Grandaugther and I will discuss my concerns with him.

I guess all the emotions are getting to me since I'm so close to surgery maybe he is just trying to be nice but since i'm so emotional lately with the prepping for surgery and everything that it hit me so strong.

I'm hoping for the best :) Thank you guy I love this forum because you guys give great advice and know where a person is coming from.

Is there any reason that would lead you to believe he's taking this opportunity to replace you? Or are you just nervous about the surgery and reading too much into it?

It can be a scary situation dealing with training someone to do your job while you leave. Chances are they just don't want you to come back after surgery to a giant mess. I would definitely talk to the boss and ask if you should just show her the priority issues in your job and not focus on the small stuff that isn't necessarily time sensitive that you can deal with when you come back - afterall, you don't want to overload the temp! :)

Family and Medical Leave Act applies to employers with 50 or more employees... so the leave your employer provides you for your surgery is at will. However to terminate your employment in most states and not have the termination affect the employers unemployment rating they would need "just cause". I personally wouldn't have any "frank" discussion after their accommodating gesture. I would be clear on my return to work date and return on that date. I would not leave the date open ended with the "take as much time as you need offer" If you have complications and need to renegotiate the date once you have had surgery take it from there.

Good luck, don't sweat the small stuff!

In what state are you employed?

I don't mean to be the bummer, but depending on your laws he sure can let you go.

You menationed he said you were nt perfect but the office liked your work - request (now bot before you begin to train ANYONE) a full assessment of your duties and on a scale of 1-5 how you are performing AND a general ACCEPTABLE or UNACCEPTABLE.

If you have a glowing review or even a passable one, and can get i email somehow that they are advising you the training is a temp only basis, yo uwill have a better chance of arguing the disability act - it is harder to prove than it sounds.

Isn't she just a temp? I wouldn't stress about this, you are going to be out of the office for 2 weeks, someone has to fill the void to get the work done. When you are out on vacation, who fills the void?

I will basically leave everything in place covered for my 2 weeks. she is a temp and they want her here in case I take more than 2 weeks which i'm not planning to take longer than that but you never know. I just freaked out in the moment when he said it and did not know what to make of it.