Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here.....should I Do This?

Hello, I am brand new here, and was directed here by a cyber friend who will be having her Sleeve done in March/2013. I just gained 30 pounds back that I lost since December, and i gained them back in like a month. UGH!!! I am 51 years old, and weigh about 245. I have hypertension, and am teeter tottering with blood sugar issues. I sometimes get very dizzy for days when I eat too many sweets, but, every time they test me I am not diabetic. My stomach has gotten to the point that it is embarrassing and a chore to carry around. I WISH so badly that I could just lose this weight and keep it off, Lord knows I have lost it many times, but, i always gain it back. I am considering a Sleeve, but, just don't know WHAT to do!! The thought of a lap band just doesn't feel right because of having something still inside of me and a port. My sister had a Gastric Bypass and although she did lose almost 100 pounds, she still cannot get below 200 and her surgery was 3 years ago!! It seems that I don't hear many stories about Sleevers NOT losing a good amount of weight. I do have children, but my two oldest are grown, and my two youngest are 14 and 11. I don't want to regret having a Sleeve, but, I don't want to regret NOT having a Sleeve! Does anyone out there feel me on this?? Are there any of you that were feeling this way and have had the sleeve? If so, give me your thoughts on this about how you WERE feeling prior and how that has changed POST. THANKS!!

Girlfriend- you just made the best decision of your life! And you will have loads of support on your entire journey if you keep coming back here. I am 7 weeks out and thought the process has been pretty easy- no regrets and wish I would have done it years ago. You are going to love the results and on top of that- the benefits of having the surgery is a list a mile long. Good luck and I wish you all the best.

I was feeling the way that you do. I decided after getting to a size 46 in waist I was not going to buy any sizes bigger I felt tired all the time no energy my blood pressure was out of control

In July 2012 I went to the operating room I started at 280 pounds I am now just over 3 months out I now weigh 190 wear size 32 in waist I feel great my blood pressure is normal without any meds

I have never regretted having the surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat

My starting weight was 255. I had a one week pre-op diet and got to 245. That was May 10. Now, just over 5 months later I weigh 170. It just keeps getting better.

It is a commitment. A new way of eating, not just the portions being small but healthier choices. And then adding in exercise - turns out many of us really like exercising once that weight starts falling off! If you want to be successful you truly have to commit yourself.

There is the possibility of complications to consider. Someone on this forum was recently tremendously ill from complications and spent weeks in the hospital at death's door. Is it worth it to you knowing that those things do (very rarely) happen? I had type 2 diabetes, fatty liver, and sleep apnea and felt that I couldn't handle the health issues that went along with the obesity - for me it is worth it. The diabetes was in remission officially at my 3 month check up, and I am waiting to have the other conditions rechecked at goal.

I think what I notice the most is the confidence I now have when speaking to people. I feel like a changed woman. I am still a work in progress, but 5 months has made an enormous difference in my life.

As far as comparing to other surgeries - I didn't want the lap band due to the port and more importantly all of the complications I read about. There is a whole section on this forum devoted to band to sleeve revisions. As far as the bypass goes, I understand it can be equally or even very slightly more effective than the sleeve. But it creates malabsorption in addition to the decreased capacity, and with that comes a lifetime of managing nutrient deficiencies. No thanks!

Only you can decide what is best for your body. Good luck in whatever path you choose!

My starting weight was 255. I had a one week pre-op diet and got to 245. That was May 10. Now, just over 5 months later I weigh 170. It just keeps getting better.

It is a commitment. A new way of eating, not just the portions being small but healthier choices. And then adding in exercise - turns out many of us really like exercising once that weight starts falling off! If you want to be successful you truly have to commit yourself.

There is the possibility of complications to consider. Someone on this forum was recently tremendously ill from complications and spent weeks in the hospital at death's door. Is it worth it to you knowing that those things do (very rarely) happen? I had type 2 diabetes, fatty liver, and sleep apnea and felt that I couldn't handle the health issues that went along with the obesity - for me it is worth it. The diabetes was in remission officially at my 3 month check up, and I am waiting to have the other conditions rechecked at goal.

I think what I notice the most is the confidence I now have when speaking to people. I feel like a changed woman. I am still a work in progress, but 5 months has made an enormous difference in my life.

As far as comparing to other surgeries - I didn't want the lap band due to the port and more importantly all of the complications I read about. There is a whole section on this forum devoted to band to sleeve revisions. As far as the bypass goes, I understand it can be equally or even very slightly more effective than the sleeve. But it creates malabsorption in addition to the decreased capacity, and with that comes a lifetime of managing nutrient deficiencies. No thanks!

Only you can decide what is best for your body. Good luck in whatever path you choose!

Very well said, sleeve sister!

We are similar starting weight and goal weight, I'd be thrilled to be at your current. I know I'll get there. :)

I do not regret it at all. I am 3 and 1/2 weeks PO and I feel great. The surgery was not bad at all and I had no complications. Make sure you research your Dr. If you look up Bariatric Center of Excellence, you will find a list of Dr.s that have had great outcomes. It is a total change in life and I have struggled a little but I am new at this and I am learning every day with my new body. I am down 23 pounds and my clothes fit so much better and I am excited for my future, for once. Good Luck!

I would start with asking you what do you mean by "everytime they test me I am not diabetic"?

Be as specific as you can:

morning BG where they test your finger? if so what was the reading?

AIC? how often/what was the reading?

if neither, what were hey going on?

Have you ever kept a meter and done a 7 day/2 hour test? it is where you test every 2 hours starting in the mornings while keeping a food log, for 7 days straight, most likely off your menses.

No matter how many message boards, websites, friends and family you consult, only YOU can make the decision to have this surgery. Consider your health, if your health worsens as a result of your weigh what can you expect? Will you develop Heart disease and stroke, High blood pressure, Diabetes, Gallbladder disease and gallstones, Osteoarthritis, Gout or sleep apnea (when a person stops breathing for a short episodes during sleep) and asthma. The choice is yours.

Good luck in whatever you choose. :)

I Am having the sleeve on December 10th. My breaking point was when I looked at a picture of myself and when I realized that I couldn't even fit my "fat" clothes. I work at the Cleveland clinic in Ohio in the bariatric research department and we are recruiting patients who are diabetic for a clinical trial. Bottom line is I don't have any comorbities such as diabetes, high bp or any of that but I realize it's only matter of time. I feel that you have to do what you have to. The idea is to live life and make the most out it. I am ready for a change I just fear the loose skin.

I was scared to death, but my energy levels have soared and i have lost 20 pounds total so far, 15 preop and 5 in 2.5 weeks. I am a new person! This surgery has given me a new lease on life!

Hello' date=' I am brand new here, and was directed here by a cyber friend who will be having her Sleeve done in March/2013. I just gained 30 pounds back that I lost since December, and i gained them back in like a month. UGH!!! I am 51 years old, and weigh about 245. I have hypertension, and am teeter tottering with blood sugar issues. I sometimes get very dizzy for days when I eat too many sweets, but, every time they test me I am not diabetic. My stomach has gotten to the point that it is embarrassing and a chore to carry around. I WISH so badly that I could just lose this weight and keep it off, Lord knows I have lost it many times, but, i always gain it back. I am considering a Sleeve, but, just don't know WHAT to do!! The thought of a lap band just doesn't feel right because of having something still inside of me and a port. My sister had a Gastric Bypass and although she did lose almost 100 pounds, she still cannot get below 200 and her surgery was 3 years ago!! It seems that I don't hear many stories about Sleevers NOT losing a good amount of weight. I do have children, but my two oldest are grown, and my two youngest are 14 and 11. I don't want to regret having a Sleeve, but, I don't want to regret NOT having a Sleeve! Does anyone out there feel me on this?? Are there any of you that were feeling this way and have had the sleeve? If so, give me your thoughts on this about how you WERE feeling prior and how that has changed POST. THANKS!![/quote']

Well I think no matter what you need to get the blood sugar issues under control, but a surgeon will tell you that as well so I won't mention it...wait...dang :P

I had the sleeve august 23rd for the first time and oct for the second repair. I have to wait six to eight weeks from then to find out if I will be able to retain what is left of my stomach or if more surgery is necessary. I spent 45 days in absolute hell including 22 in hospital where my death was discussed more than I'd like to mention.

So obviously I have a different perspective. You asked how we felt prior to surgery....I was basically as low a risk as possible for this surgery. No complications or comorbidities to worry about, never had issues with anesthesia, low BMI (36) and was basically healthy but fat :) I researched the surgery to death as you should. I felt confident that this was the way for me to go and given the assurances of all of the medical people involved felt safe taking the risks that all surgeries carry.

I have a six year old who has feeding issues who needs me at home. I prepared by having a nanny full time for two weeks after the surgery lined up as well as help with laundry and housekeeping. I followed all of the doctors orders to a letter before and afterwards. I felt so prepared going into it and totally comfortable with my risks.

THen BAMM!!! My world was swept away beginning with internal bleeding and ending with the discovery of a leak. This is the "how that has changed" section of the post by the way :)

I risked my life to lose weight. I risked too much and given I have a small child, I took that risk at the wrong time. THANK GOD I had a network that jumped in and helped my husband as he tried to be daddy, CEO, husband of a woman who was possibly dying, and do that while squeezing in trips constantly to the hospital three hours away. I was away from my child for 22 days but the other 23 I was bedridden and unable to even put him to bed. I regret I put my family through this drama. We expect a quarter of a million in medical bills from a surgery that wasn't covered by insurance (so another 20 grand). Am I losing weight, yes, but was it worth it for me? NO I have guilt, regret and fear of the future complications I might still have to face.

That said, my number was apparently up on the odds board quite high. I should play the lottery! My complications are a 2 or 3% concern for you to consider. But you need to consider that against your situation now which sounds like it needs to be addressed somehow. My advice to all is to get your ducks in a row, have a network of support just in case, and then make the decision based on how you feel when you weigh the rewards and risks against your current situation.

I wish you the best outcome possible no matte what choice you make!