Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Weeks Out Today And Really Concerned :(

Hey All,

I just wanted to see if anyone else was having the same issue I am. Today marks 5 weeks since I've had surgery. I know we get stalls, but I haven't lost anything since week 2. The past few days my ankles have been really swollen and my stomach is growling and I am constantly feeling hungry. It's not head hunger, its I feel my stomach gurgling because I'm hungry. I've even gained a few pounds. I am not overeating, I'm getting my Protein in and liquids. I feel like any liquid I drink is being retained. I am at about 700 calories a day.. under 40 carbs.. so I am doing exactly what the Nut advised... I am going to call my Dr first thing when they open, I have am h our or so... I'm just really concerned that maybe this isn't going to work for me. I've always done the right thing and have struggled my whole life with my weight no matter what I do... Really having a tough day with this today... it's the first one since surgery :( Any advise would be greatly appreciated... I feel a 3 week stall shouldn't be happening this early on..

First of all, you should congratulate yourself. Your ticker shows 35lbs lost, and that is amazing. Stalls can last longer than a week, and it is the hardest part of the post op journey. We all want the weight gone yesterday. Butterthebean has a great article on stalls, here it is so give it a read

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

As for the hunger feeling, talk to your DR about a PPI. Sometimes acid production in post-op patients can mask itself as hunger pains.

You are doing everything right and it will happen! For perspective, you lost more in 2 weeks after surgery than I did in almost 2 months after surgery! I know it is easier said than done, but just try to relax and it will happen!

Please don't give up at this point. The 2 week post op is the time when many people have a stall. Your stomach is not gurgling because your hungry, you have a lot of gas in there. Are you taking a PPI? If not, when you talk with your surgeon, ask about taking a PPI (nexium, prilosec, omeprazole, tums, maalox). Make sure your getting all your liquids in. You will lose this weight, eating small amounts like 700 calories, can only result in weight loss. It only takes time. Hang in there! :)

Thank you both :) I am by no means giving up... I'm just worried that in 3 weeks the only thing thats happened is I've gained a pound, have this gurgling stomach and have swollen ankles.. I am not taking a PPI, when I call my Dr maybe they can just help me without me having to go in... the swollen ankles really concern me more than anything else.. because the only part of me that was ever skinny were my legs in the past LOL.

I'm glad you are calling your Dr because the swollen ankles and weight gain doesn't seem right. Are you getting in enough Water? Your body might be holding on to it if you aren't. Your weight loss is actually good, my 2nd month was my stall month and I only lost 3 lbs but since then my weight continues to go down. Unlike others, low carb does nothing for me, I have to up my carbs and put my calories to around 1000 in order to lose. We are all different and you have to find what works for you. Listening to your Nut is a good thing.

I am 39 days out. I am just coming off a 10 days stall where I gained 2 pounds. The most calories that I can take in is 750 but normally I sit around 600-700 calories. Make sure as others have posted that you are drinking your 64 ounces or more of Water. I am vigilant to make sure I get this amount in daily or more. Your stall will break I really feel your pain.

I also lost really quickly weeks two and three, 21 pounds, I will bet this is why I went into a stall too.

I just put a message into my dr and am waiting for a call back. I've actually been seeing a cardiologist. Prior to surgery and after, I just saw him recently. Before surgery I went through the whole 9 yards with a cardiologist, EKG, Echo, bloodwork...and then again a few weeks ago. So I will see what the Dr has to say... I think maybe part of it too is this is my first week back at work and maybe I did too much...

As for the hunger feeling, talk to your DR about a PPI. Sometimes acid production in post-op patients can mask itself as hunger pains.

i'm gonna jump in the conversation with a question for me (don't mean to be rude) - i take prilosec every night (never have heartburn)

i am "sometimes" hungry at times, not sure if its head hunger (it could be)

maybe i should ask surgeon about taking a prilocsec in the morning too?? ?? i'm 10 months out

thoughts, comments??

thanx

I stalled for almost 5 weeks starting at the end of week 2. I was at 600 cal, 20ish carb, plenty of Protein. And then it ended and I started dropping weight without a problem. You did not gain a lb of fat - you can't gain fat on 700 cal. Stick with it. Talk to your doc. Stay away from the scale for a little while. Good luck!

It doesn't hurt to try a PPI, even at 10 months out. When I don't take my omeprazole, I do have times when I'm hungrier. So I have to remind myself to take the omeprazole. :) LOL

OP: I am SO glad you called your doc. Swollen ankles w your other issues need to be addressed. You are retaining Water for some reason.

Proudgrammy: i've got a question: when you feel hunger is it time to eat? Or have you just eaten? If you haven't eaten in about 3 hours and you feel the rumblings, try eating a small snack. It's healthier for your body than adding more PPI's. The acid in your tummy is saying 'give me something to use my acid on!!' ;-)

I am now taking a PPI 2x a day. Prevacid in the morning and Protonix at night.

I have an apt at 1 with my primary care... my surgeon and nurse didn't say anything about a PPI when I asked, they said maybe an appetite suppressant is needed. An appetite suppressant shouldn't be needed for me after surgery!! I'm really frustrated with them because I don't think I'm actually hungry I think i just need something to take like you all have mentioned. What everyone takes is it prescribed or can you get it over the counter? So I have my apt at 1 for the swelling, said probably will put me on a Water pill.