Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Hair Is Falling Off Help!

i was sleeved july 12 and my hair is falling or shedding at an alarming rate can you share what to take what to eat what has worked for you ? please i need to save my hair !!!

how much protien are you getting in. you have to get theprotien or your hair will fall out

i eat a lot of meat fish and chicken.. a lot a lot plus my vitamins.. .. so i figure i was good i guess i have to start tracking i think i was told 60 grams is that right? oh my

I heard our hair would fall out no matter what due to the estrogen changes as fat cells release hormones. My doc said 90 grams of Protein (for energy not hair loss). It's really hard to do.

Also are you taking Biotin? A lot of people do that. I found some small soft gels at Wal Mart 5000 mcg and I take 2 a day. I'm loosing hair but not to bad and I'm at 5 months. Good luck!!

thanks for the input

I was sleeved on the 23rd July and my hair is falling out in clumps after I brush it or wash it. I eat enough Protein and I also take Vitamins. Some people will lose there hair I have heard. I don't have much to start with. They say it stops after about 5 months.

Good luck, hope you don't lose too much.

Sorry ... Really nothing to do as this is the result of something that happened months ago...major surgery !! :-). Best you can do is promote new growth. I've been successful with bamboo (90% silica), 5000mcg Biotin and a supplement called biosil. The bamboo and biotin are pretty cheap if you buy in bulk...the biosil is pricey. It is also silica. I really can't tell what is working, but I can actually see new and strong growth. I don't care about the $$$$ if my hair goes back or even gets better than normal. Of course, of course Protein is critical. Protein is what hair is partly made of so if you don't have enough protein in your diet, what you do have is directed to critical functions vs Hair growth. But...for the ladies...my bikini line is ridiculous! When my hair up top was falling out in clumps, hair there was as gross and thick as ever!!

I was told that at around 3 months post-op, your hair will begin to fall out and you will lose up to 30% of your hair. The reason being that your nutritional intake is so limited, your body starts rerouting nutrients from your folicules to more vital parts of your body.

I was told that at 1 year, this corrects itself and your hair will start growing back. This is something I'm not looking forward to (I'm only 5 weeks post-op now) but figure it's all temporary.

Darn hair keeps piling up on my iPad screen. At least it shows me where some of it is going. :)

Ha ha ha.

I've also noticed the top of my head is achy. Maybe this is related to the great exodus of hair or maybe it isn't. Anyone know?

I've also noticed the top of my head is achy. Maybe this is related to the great exodus of hair or maybe it isn't. Anyone know?

My head is achy too. Especially on my crown area. Would like to know why as well!

I went to Paul Mitchell the school Louisville and while I'd like to have a magical answer for you I don't. The best thing you can do is Shampoo as little a possible, always condition, if you use products make sure you wash it out before you sleep, try to use a wide tooth comb instead of a brush because brushes cause a lot of breakage, and if you HAVE to use heated tools make sure you use a thermal protectant.

Now.

This won't keep your hair from falling out but will help the hair you have. If you want your hair to look thicker check for products with panthanol. Your hair falls out for many reasons post op, anesthesia, your body's "starvation mode," and high amounts of estrogen cause your hair to shed as bad as a cat's! Your hair should definitely fix itself once your body starts to stabilize! If you have any other questions feel free to pm me :)

Also, Biotin won't help hair grow back but it will absolutely bulk up what you've got :)