Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Anemia

I had some tests done and recieved a letter from the Dr that I needed to see him. I went in today and it showed that I am severely anemic. He has ordered more tests because he wants to know exactly what is causing it but said I will most likely need injections each week for a couple of months.

I just want to suggest that if you are feeling lethargic, no energy, generally unwell to get it checked out. As most of us cant eat red meat very often we have a higher chance of this happening. Along with me having very heavy periods has led to this.

My Dr also said that would be why I was having headaches and not being able to shake this cold I have had.

Just remember, we need to check on these things periodically so it doesnt get to this stage where we need injections etc.

Big hugs

Kellie,

Thanks for that information about anemia. I'm sure it will make a difference in some other bandster's well-being.

Good luck!

Jo Ann

My Iron has been a little off of late too...it makes a big difference.

Not something to fool around with, definitely.

Much luck on getter better Kellie!!

i went to my dr last week and had blood work. my Iron was at a 7. he told me to get on Iron supp. i am one of his 1st patients to have lapband. so this is my question; what kind of iron supp can i take since i have a band? do i have to find a liquid or chewable? or can i take a regular iron "pill"? please some one help me with this. if you have low iron i know you can understand why i really need to know

thank you

fading slowly

I had some tests done and recieved a letter from the Dr that I needed to see him. I went in today and it showed that I am severely anemic. He has ordered more tests because he wants to know exactly what is causing it but said I will most likely need injections each week for a couple of months.

I just want to suggest that if you are feeling lethargic, no energy, generally unwell to get it checked out. As most of us cant eat red meat very often we have a higher chance of this happening. Along with me having very heavy periods has led to this.

My Dr also said that would be why I was having headaches and not being able to shake this cold I have had.

Just remember, we need to check on these things periodically so it doesnt get to this stage where we need injections etc.

Big hugs

This seems to be the thread for my question: Does anyone have a problem with bruising? I have found that I am bruising a lot more now than I was before. Could it be from a lack of Iron? I get bruises just from scratching an itch.

Hi, thanks for posting this. I started a thread about sleep deprivation being a possible cause for my low energy, etc. Since I'm getting almost 7 hours a night, one poster suggested that's probably enough sleep. Now that you've posted this, I'm thinking it could be low Iron. I'll get checked when I go for 3rd fill this Saturday.

Thanks again!!

This seems to be the thread for my question: Does anyone have a problem with bruising? I have found that I am bruising a lot more now than I was before. Could it be from a lack of Iron? I get bruises just from scratching an itch.

I was having the same issues for while but it seems to be better now. I was also having dizzy spells.

My doctor was worried about anemia and low Iron but all my labs came back fine.

Have you had any blood work done recently?

No not yet. I guess I better. This is not normal for me and has me kinda concerned. I guess I could just start taking the Iron pills, but I will check with the doctor. Thanks for the suggestion.

I take an Iron supplement and it goes down fine, it is a little white pill. Don't take it with your Calcium suppliment because it won't get absorbed. I think they say Vitamin C helps Iron absorb. If you are taking an iron suppliment make sure you see your doctor periodically because too much iron can be toxic. That isn't something you want to mess with either.

Good luck to all.

I have iron-deficency anemia because I have Celiac Sprue (gluten intolerance). I have had many IV Iron invusions. Since my surgery I hardly eat much gluten but I have been taking childrens chewable vitamens with extra Iron. I haven't gotten my blood checked since before my surgery. I need to do that.

I have no problems with swallowing pills.