Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 99% sure I will be scheduling gastric sleeve surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana, MX. My primary concern at the moment is traveling to and from Tijuana. My husband may not be able to accompany me due to limited financing. I am considering bringing my 15 year old sister to accompany me, but want your feedback on whether this is a good idea or not.

I DO NOT want to jeopordize my sister's safety and would love reassurance and/or specifics on anything that may be of concern. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

I was sleeved by Dr. Ortiz April 16th and there is absolutely nothing to worry about!! Not that it really matters but his facility is directly across from the Police Station and you have to be buzzed up to even get into the place. The Marriott where you will be staying is extremely safe as well. My 63 year old mother and I walked down the street to the shopping complex (about 3-4 blocks) and had no issues at all. There is a Wal-Mart there and a large gambling complex too.

Looking back.... I would have gone alone but my mother was adamant on traveling with me. We had no issues at all... you will be very well taken care of.

As far as my surgery experience??? Didn't even felt like I had surgery.... No Gas, no nausea and no pain... Just a general soreness. This was my first surgery ever and it was a breeze! The entire procedure only takes about 45 minutes and Dr. Ortiz and his staff are wonderful! I can't say enough about my experience!!

Tomorrow is my 6 month anniversary and I am down 98lbs!!!!! I feel amazing and you will too!!!

All the best!!!!

Emily

I went by myself, and while I didn't venture out as I was tired and then post-surgery, very tired, I felt safe at the hotel. No problems at all.

I was sleeved in TJ in Sept and felt very confident & safe in the hospital & hotel. I was sleeved by Dr Cabrera and my friend who travelled with me was allowed to stay in the hospital with me. I have a friend who as sleeved earlier this year & her travelling companion had to go back to the hotel for the night by himself. Might want to check on whether she will be staying with you if you have an overnight stay in hospital.

I am currently in Tijuana (had surgery yesterday!) and feel very safe. I went through ready 4a change with Dr. Garcia. My husband came with me and he is staying my hospital room with me. Check and see if she would be going with you. We also went out walking to the shopping center around the corner and loved it, if I feel up to it on my last day we might go back just to sit by the pond and relax.

I am currently in Tijuana (had surgery yesterday!) and feel very safe. I went through ready 4a change with Dr. Garcia. My husband came with me and he is staying my hospital room with me. Check and see if she would be going with you. We also went out walking to the shopping center around the corner and loved it' date=' if I feel up to it on my last day we might go back just to sit by the pond and relax.[/quote']

That's great new. I will be sleeved by the doctor in February please keep in touch and let me know your progress

Hutchison_vera@yahoo.com

Tiffany- when are you planning on going? I have decided to go with Dr. Ortiz and I think I am just going to go by myself. I may as well save the air fare to take someone with me. I talked to Carolyn today and she said about 1/3 of the patients go alone. I am more concerned about the plane trip back, I live in Michigan, than the procedure itself! LOL

Okay call me over protective but what about her safety while your not with her? Or if complications should arise will she be okay to handle what she needs to do for herself alone? Idk, most people do tell me I'm over protective so who knows :)

Tiffany- when are you planning on going? I have decided to go with Dr. Ortiz and I think I am just going to go by myself. I may as well save the air fare to take someone with me. I talked to Carolyn today and she said about 1/3 of the patients go alone. I am more concerned about the plane trip back, I live in Michigan, than the procedure itself! LOL

I hear ya there! I'm in Ohio...worried about the trip home too!

I am 99% sure I will be scheduling gastric sleeve surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana' date=' MX. My primary concern at the moment is traveling to and from Tijuana. My husband may not be able to accompany me due to limited financing. I am considering bringing my 15 year old sister to accompany me, but want your feedback on whether this is a good idea or not.

I DO NOT want to jeopordize my sister's safety and would love reassurance and/or specifics on anything that may be of concern. Your feedback is greatly appreciated![/quote']

Don't be scared! It's not as bad as people say. I'm from CA, and we always go into Mexico. The medical van picks you up and takes you over, it also drops you off to go home. They ho through the Centry line, so you don't wait in the usual border lines.

I went alone, and wouldn't change it. I met three amazing women, and we are in touch daily. Myself and one other woman were alone, we got to share our room. We talked and kept each other occupied while we waited. I had people come to the hotel, and wish I had 't. They just got on my nerves. All I wanted to do was rent a movie, and NOT eat with my new friends. We felt so great after our sleeve... They took us shopping, out for Soup, and to Walmart. The Marriott is very secure, requires a key card to get to your floor.

Don't buy into all the hype- there are bad sections of any town, in any Country. You will be just fine, promise:)

Hope this helps.

I think what scares me the most is just the Unknown. I don't know what to expect really. I've never been outside the US before so I'm kind of freaking out about it. Not so much right now, but come March I'm going to be a big ball of anxiety I'm sure