Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just finishing up my EKG chest X-ray PFT and Abg! I was thinking the same thing as they stuck me 5 times to do the Abg! But I want tj start my new life and I don't want to rob myself of the pleasures of life. I want children and my weight has hindered that from happening. I'm happy for the new changes it's a wake up call for bad decisions. It's extreme but necessary when you are 100lbs overweight

When my PCP suggested WLS surgery as an option for me, I was Stunned!! I wasn't THAT fat, was I? Well, i kept bouncing between 220-250. And I have several auto-immune diseases. So....i went to a Bariatric doc for a consult. What an awakening. I was considered 103 pounds overweight. With my medical issues my insurance passed me without hesitation. My feelings were hurt. Lol. I had such weird feelings. It wasn't until I saw the Physce a few times and she really helped me realize that this was the best option for me.

Good luck everyone!

I am sitting in my doctors office waiting on his P.A. for my pre op and cant help but think I am crazy!!! This is way too extreme! I can be fat and happy... but I have high cholesterol and am infertile and surgery will fix that but still ... They are cutting out my stomach! What am I doing?! OMG!!! I am freaking out!

I feel the same way sometimes! Theres a book called 'feel the fear and do it anyway'..thats my motto right now lol

I am sitting in my doctors office waiting on his P.A. for my pre op and cant help but think I am crazy!!! This is way too extreme! I can be fat and happy... but I have high cholesterol and am infertile and surgery will fix that but still ... They are cutting out my stomach! What am I doing?! OMG!!! I am freaking out!

My surgery is next Monday and all of a sudden I am creaking out afraid I'm making a mistake

Make a list of the pros and cons. That helped me.

I'm glad you are feeling better about your surgery after your appointment. I also love how much support you're getting from this community. My surgery is on the 26th so I'm sure I'll start freaking out pretty soon. I think the pro and con list is a great idea, and your right, you can be fat and happy now. But are you healthy? Will you be happy and healthy one year from now, five years from now? I don't know how old you are, but trust me, I wish I had know about this surgery 15 years ago or rather I wish I was 15 years younger. The bypass surgery scared me so I decided to keep trying on my own. Then there was the band, which looked **** at first, but then the more I looked into it the less safe it seemed. I really do feel like this is the safest, most effective surgical option. I hope you do well with you surgery.

I don't think there is a chance of "making a mistake" unless you mean that giving up eating crazy is the mistake. As long as surgery goes well and we recover well by following our doctors' orders, where is the mistake? We can only win by losing and that's what we want, right?

There is a family somewhere here in the US that did something radical a few years ago. I'll have to Google it and see where they are. Their family suffered from a terrible history of stomach cancer and it was an inherited form of cancer. They all decided to HAVE THEIR STOMACHS REMOVED to prevent getting the cancer. They ended up with prosthetic stomachs and one of the good side effects was weight loss.

What I am saying is, they knew they had this possibility of dying from this cancer that killed quite a few in their family over the years. They made the decision to live by doing this radical thing. Like us. We also know that we could die from this, call it disease or addiction or what have you. We have been fighting it for years, too. We have been hoping it doesn't kill us. So we are taking what may be, for some of us, a radical step...but, what may hopefully be for us all...the right step to our healthy futures.

I don't think there is a chance of "making a mistake" unless you mean that giving up eating crazy is the mistake. As long as surgery goes well and we recover well by following our doctors' orders, where is the mistake? We can only win by losing and that's what we want, right?

There is a family somewhere here in the US that did something radical a few years ago. I'll have to Google it and see where they are. Their family suffered from a terrible history of stomach cancer and it was an inherited form of cancer. They all decided to HAVE THEIR STOMACHS REMOVED to prevent getting the cancer. They ended up with prosthetic stomachs and one of the good side effects was weight loss.

What I am saying is, they knew they had this possibility of dying from this cancer that killed quite a few in their family over the years. They made the decision to live by doing this radical thing. Like us. We also know that we could die from this, call it disease or addiction or what have you. We have been fighting it for years, too. We have been hoping it doesn't kill us. So we are taking what may be, for some of us, a radical step...but, what may hopefully be for us all...the right step to our healthy futures.

I so could not have worded anything better. It is natural to feel scared, nervous, and to have anxiety before any type of procedure. Take a few deep breaths remember why you started this journey in the first place, and tell yourself that no matter what you are going to be just fine.