Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Mom's Journey So Far

On October 1st my mom went to Mexico to have surgery with Dr. Garcia. They did the surgery and released her to the hotel. The next day she was readmitted with Fluid in her lungs where they proceded to evaluate and diagnos her with pneumonia. She spent the next 4 days in the hospital basically with an IV and left in bed to "recover". She flew home on the 6th. When I picked her up at the airport her left side of her dress was soaked from a leaking incision, her legs were swollen, hot and shiny and she looked really bad. I had the verticle sleeve done on me on Sept 11th so I am still healing and all of this is fresh in my mind as I am only 3 weeks ahead of her with the surgery. She drank about three oz. of protien on her way home and when I got her home I checked her incisions and they looked infected. She tried contacting the doctor the next day. She left an e-mail for them and was contacted the next day. They told her she should go to emergency if she is concerned but that clear liquid was common. They said to keep an eye on it. She had no fever and the fluid was clear coming out of her and the other three incisions were not red...just had green puss on the corners., We cleaned the wounds and she continued the antibiotic that they sent her home with. I pushed her with fluids, reminded her to keep her legs elevated, walk a bit and eat. On wednesday night I noticed that the incisions felt like they had golf balls behind them. The next morning we went to the walk in clinic. They immediately called the surgeon and had her go to the hospital for a CT scan. An hour later she was having surgery to open the incisions and drain them. We will get the results of the test on Tuesday this week. They released her that night and I have been changing her dressings three times a day with saline Water, sterile gauze going into the incisions about 3" deep and then covering them with4x4 sterile pads. On Friday her leg started to form a water blister from being so swollen and now I am treating that. I am wearing gloves and washing continually as my immune system is still low and recovering from my surgery. I am worried she is not getting enough fluids and protien. She is tough and puts on a good show so it is hard to read without standing over her. Today she said she should have waited until she had the cash to have surgery in the USA. I asked her to never say that again. What is done is done and we have to keep moving forward. It hurts me to watch her hide her pain. I am doing well so I have pangs of guilt that I actually jogged to the mailbox yesterday and didnt have a heart attack or breath so hard I couldn't stand. I want to enjoy my achievements as well as hers....I am excited for her achievements to start for her too. I bring up little things like "look, you walked the driveway three times...My driveway is 220 feet long so this is a good walk. I know that many have had worse experiences and many have had great but I just wanted to share my mom's experience. I know she will be fine. I am hoping that Tuesday when we go to the surgeon that he can sew up her incisions, that the results of the fluid is not mrsa, and that she gets a clean bill of health!! Wish her luck!

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear that she is going through this, I am scheduled with Dr.Garcia in Nov.

I hope she feels better soon and I am sending prayers her way! :)

I am so sorry to hear about all the complications your poor mom is going through. And you yourself still recovering. Thank God she's been seen back home & on her way to recovery. You both will be in my prayers. Please keep us updated!

I will be thinking of both of y'all and keep ya'll lifted up in prayer. I'm glad that you're feeling well enough to take care of her. God Bless both of y'all.

Well we went to the doctor yesterday and it is NOT MRSA...so happy about that!! However, the infestion was a variety of different bacteria's in her wounds. She is slowly healing and I am still packing her incisions three times a day. We go back to the doctor next tuesday for a follow up. She lives in Arizona and is so ready to go home...I am anxious for her to heal so she can start reaping some of the benifits of her weight loss....:) Both her and my futures are exciting to me...I just want her better!! Thank you for all your kind words!! You are an awesome group!

slowly healing and I am still packing her incisions three times a day. She lives in Arizona and is so ready to go home...I am anxious for her to heal so she can start reaping some of the benifits of her weight loss.... :)

Staisea

What a good daughter you are helping mom out during her time of need ;)

glad things are improving for mom - and she is on the mend.

hope she listens to the words of wisdom you have concerning liquids, all that important stuff!!!

it will feel good to be home in her own bed, familiar surroundings,

does she have family/friends around her that can help her, or check on her? i know you'll be there via the phone

even though i am sure you wouldn't mind continueing to help her, it will be nice that you can resume your own recuperation,

sounds like you are doing great. :)

i'm sure your mom will follow in your footsteps

best of luck to you both

:)

She is very fortunate, Proudgrammy. She has a friend back home that had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago to help her through her journey once she gets home. I wont let her go home until I feel secure that she is okay to go. :) I am a hard task master!! LOL. She loves me though. By the way, we found out the sex of our first grand children and mom's great grandchildren. My oldest daughter is having a boy due March 5th and my Son and daughter-in law are having a boy due March 6th. Our youngest daughter and her husband are hoping to be pregnant by the end of the year. Mom and I are really excited. Can hardly wait for March!! By then I will be thin enough and healthy to get on the ground and play with my new grandbabies!! i will have to fight my husband for time with the boys as he will have them out building go carts and fishing...:) It is going to be a blast!!

Im so happy she's on the mend and feeling better. Infection at the incision site is the most common complication of the sleeve...still rare, but it sucks to be the one! I am sxd in one week, and my mom is looking into it for herself, too. If you don't mind me asking, how old is your mom? Mine is 68, and pushing 250 lbs. Im worried if she doesn't do this, I might lose her.

Again, I am so glad your mom is feeling better and that you've been able to recover nicely, and care for her at the same time :-)

She is very fortunate, Proudgrammy. She has a friend back home that had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago to help her through her journey once she gets home. I wont let her go home until I feel secure that she is okay to go. :) I am a hard task master!! LOL. She loves me though. By the way,March 5th and my Son and daughter-in law are having a boy due March 6th.

Staisea

glad mom is going to have some help from someone who had WLS, knows whats going on - sounds like mom will continue to improve. as far as being a "taskmaster" don't we take over from what moms do when we were kids???

as far as you becoming a 1rst time grandmother - and mom becoming a great grandmother...when this situation happened to me 12 years ago, when i became a grandmother,

my mom said, she didn't mind becoming a great-grandmother - she just couldn't get over that i was going to be a grandmother!!!!! (made her feel pretty old!!!)

hope things continue to improve and go well for you and mom

take care

bye

Zenoosh. This is too cute for me..My mom is 68 and weighed 231 pounds prior to surgery. She is now 199 and looking much healthier. Aside from her incisions having to be opened and cleaned three times a day she is doing very well. I am pushing her all the time though. Today I made her go to town with me to get her walking...:) She likes to sit and sew or crochet...LOL She is 5'2 and happy she had this done. It is fun to hear her say..."Whew, I will NEVER see that scale say 200 again"!