Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Gaining Weight 2 Weeks In?!?!

I was sleeved on 9/26/12. I lost 29lbs between the pre-surgery diet and after surgery, but today after work I noticed my pants were like seriously falling off me so I decided to hop on the scale to see where I was at and I actually gained 2lbs!! I am beside myself. I have been eating very healthy. Today for instance I ate soggy Special K Protein Cereal for Breakfast (low sugar), for a snack I had greek yogurt for lunch I ate half a turkey sandwich with only one piece of rye bread (one slice rye bread with turkey and swiss cheese on top sliced in half with lite mayo). For dinner I had chicken salad made with lite mayo on thin 100% whole wheat bread(thin bread, not normal bread), Am I eating too much?? What am I doing wrong? I have moved foward on my diet faster then I should of but these foods are not bothering me at all. So long as I take small bites and chew thoroughly I am fine. I could go back to eating mush which I think I am starting tomorrow, but what happens next week when I can start eating these foods?? Everything I ate today is "safe food" in my manual just for next week not this week. It's not like I am eating Cookies and ice cream and junk food. The reason I had this surgery was because even when I ate right it did nothing, and now after surgery even though I can only eat a few ounces of healthy food I'm gaining weight. Did I just go thru all this for nothing?? I wanted to be down to 250 by the end of this week and now I am back up to pushing 260...

You need to amp up your Protein your taking in too many carbs. Are you getting in your 60 grams of protein? It doesn't seem like you are

It is just body composition micro adjustments. Your weight will go up and down a few pounds during the week mainly because of Water retention and release so it is best to just pick a single day and time for weighing. Otherwise you will go bonkers for no reason. Also it is very typical for weight to oscillate around a single reading once you enter a stall. Given that you are 2 weeks out, you could be entering a stall where the body does a lot of internal adjustments, but the scale hardly moves anywhere if at all. Just wait it out as that is the easiest thing to do.

I think stalls and small gains are to be expected but that seems like alot of bread (carbs)...they make you hungrier, too. I am 5 weeks out and haven't eaten bread at all...maybe six crackers total. Make sure you are getting in your fluids. No matter, you are going to lose! Don't give up and don't give in!

Good luck!

I also had a few days where I started being loose with my calories and not watching carbs and I gained 5 lbs. I started back on No carbs and eating tuna fish, eggs and salmon and lost the 5 lbs in two days. If I do have carbs I keep them under 15 and track everything on myfitnesspal.com. I promise you if you cut the carbs out and up the Water intake you will reach your goals with little to no problem :)

I probably am not hitting the 60 gram mark, but I have to be close. I do try to eat Protein food. The Cereal has 10 grams for a cup, but I can't eat an entire cup of cereal yet. Plus the 1% milk it's in has protein. The greek yogurt has 8 grams and the turkey and cheese on the sandwich has protein and of course the chicken salad has protein too. I will drink a Protein Shake tonight for my evening snack which has 15grams of protein. It has to be pretty high up there. I do try to watch the carb intake that's why I buy thin bread and or only eat the bottom slice on a sandwich. I'm just down on myself tonight I will try harder tomorrow, but if I am gaining because I'm eating these foods I don't know if I will ever be able to eat anything then. I certainly don't think I am eating badly.

weigh yourself in the tomorrow AM after your morning "deed". Im sure the scale will go down. Stay motivated ~ you will get there.

Well you asked for help but it doesn't sound like you want to hear it. Unless you seriously track your food you will have no idea how many protein/carb you are really consuming. I too think you shouldn't be having bread at all. Just Protein and veggies if you have room. Bread is your enemy at this point. Good Luck.

My handbook absolutely says no bread or similar carbs for 6 months. Protein, protein, protein with a small amount of veggies and fruit. Funny how everyone has such different rules.

My husband also thinks that I am not very smart for weighing myself in the evening too. He also thinks Water retention and also my cycle will affect my weight. He is right, I know he is. I still wasnt expecting that. Tomorrow I will scratch everything and start over and be better. I should have had the turkey with out bread and the same for the chicken salad. I just thought I was okay with eating the thin bread and taking the top piece off, but I guess even a little bit is too much. When it comes to the carb thing tho the manual my doctor gave me says that I can eat mashed potatoes and oatmeal this week. Thats all carbs. I'm so confused. I just hope it gets better.

Sleeve Guru, I don't see how you can say I'm not listening. I just posted what I'm doing, I am aware of what I am eating. Sorry I do not know off hand how much Protein is in a slice of turkey, but I know it's meat and therefore a protein. I understand many people have to avoid breads for months, mine just says soft white breads and no Pasta. Like I said this week I am allowed mashed potatoes and oatmeal. That is carbs, but I am allowed that from my manual given to me by my doctor after my surgery. I am listening and like I just posted I will try harder, but I don't need to feel put down by you or have an imaginary argument made up by you either.

Also Guru, I cannot adequatly recieve help from an online forum without fully explaining myself. Sorry you took that as me not listening, maybe you should closer read what I'm trying to say!!

I agree on the tracking food part. It has helped me so much!! I learned about my fitness pal app. From here and I would be lost without it! Good luck!

I actually know what you mean because in my manual that I got from the nutritionist it says I can have oatmeal, potatoes, cream of wheat, grits and so on... I talked to my surgeon's PA though and she told me flat out I can eat that way but I will be looking at 1-2 pound weight loss a week and said that if I eat the high protien I will get my weight off in what she calls the critical first 6 months. I guess weight really slows down after this time. It IS confusing and what you are eating Isn't bad but it just wont produce the results your looking for, ya know? After you lose your excess weight the stuff you are eating now looks like it would be great for maitanence :) Its frustrating, Im only two weeks out to. Alot of this is trial and error. I had to go from eating 600 calories to 350 because I wasnt losing. Its all about experimenting and finding what works for you, Hang in there!