Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Only Having 50-60 Lbs. To Lose Discredit Me Wanting Surgery?

I am 5'3" and weigh 178, so my BMI is in the low range. People seem to think that because I only have 50 or so pounds to lose I have no reason to be having surgery. They don't realize that I have been a lot heavier in the past but have been stuck at this 50-60 for years. I can run, run, run my little booty off and eat healthy and maybe lose 5-10 lbs. but I can never get off what I need to be healthy. I am 40 years old and sick of this battle. I have high blood pressure, high cholestrol, and heart disease runs rampid in my family. This is not an easy fix as I am finding out by reading the boards, but I don't think I can do this alone anymore and I feel that now is the time for me. What should I say to people who judge just because I don't have hundreds to lose?

You have underlying medical problems. I know the doctors in Mexico will do it.

I'm not going to say not have surgery - but have you tried Medifast? The reason I bring this up is because it's a low calorie diet (similar to what you will be on post surgery). I did really well on it (lost over 40#). My issue is I need something to stop me from falling off that wagon.

Either way, it's your decision. Stand by it :)

I had a low bmi too, with high blood pressure. I haven't told many people other than family and close friends but I imagine some comments might be negative...if I told coworkers, for example. Many would say I wasn't big enough to have surgery but I've struggled just like you. It's our lives...not theirs. Dr. Cirangle did my surgery in CA. He believes this will prevent me from getting to that high bmi that's almost inevitable.

I am 5'3" and weigh 178, so my BMI is in the low range. People seem to think that because I only have 50 or so pounds to lose I have no reason to be having surgery. They don't realize that I have been a lot heavier in the past but have been stuck at this 50-60 for years. I can run, run, run my little booty off and eat healthy and maybe lose 5-10 lbs. but I can never get off what I need to be healthy. I am 40 years old and sick of this battle. I have high blood pressure, high cholestrol, and heart disease runs rampid in my family. This is not an easy fix as I am finding out by reading the boards, but I don't think I can do this alone anymore and I feel that now is the time for me. What should I say to people who judge just because I don't have hundreds to lose?

Why do you have to say anything to them? This is a personal decision, not a public one.

When people ask how I have lost my weight, I tell them through reduced portion sizes and exercise. It's the truth.

I don't tell people how I am able to only have two kids (vasectomy)

I don't tell people how I am able to see without glasses (lasik)

I don't tell people how I am able to ... (fill in the blank)

My weight loss is not out there for public consumption. My wife and family know, and a couple friends who battle weight issues and are considering it. I told them because I know their struggle and want them to know there is a tool to help them.

But that's it.

If you go by the weight I was when I started all of this (not my highest, that would be much more) I am aout 80-90 lbs down and I could stay here (did for awhile) and I would be a-ok. Doing great actually...and at 60 lbs down I was no longer diabetic, knee hurt much less, and not to mention the general quality of life issues and getting so much more active again - so yes. If you are ready to make a lifetime commitment, it would be worth it, in my opinion.

Thank you all for replys. I am scheduled for surgery and no it is nobody's business and don't plan on sharing how I lose weight with anyone just going to say I made some changes in my life. I have done every diet under the sun for years and even ha grandma put on WW and Nutrisystem in HS so this is a decision I am going to stick with and feel good about. Just question myself at times.

You may question yourself more before the surgery. Most of us seem to have done that.

Not telling people is another reason why there is so much guilt for those trying their hardest to lose weight by yo-Yo diets allowing them to believe that they should be able lose and maintain with diet alone.

Not telling people is another reason why there is so much guilt for those trying their hardest to lose weight by yo-Yo diets allowing them to believe that they should be able lose and maintain with diet alone.

Huh? You're saying that by me not sharing a personal decision with the public I re-enforce people's dieting issues and associated guilt? I'm fairly confident the public knows about WLS ...

Can you expand on your thoughts?

Not saying broadcast your decision hewever if someone strugling with their own weighjt loss asks how you managed to lose do not lie and tell them you did it by diet and exercise. Tell them the truth and mayube share your experience!! Unless you yopurself fell guilty with your decision!

I too have what is considered lower BMI 5'51/2 wt 195# with hx of high cholesterol and strong family hx of diabetes and cardiac dz. I have been following this site for quite a while hoping to find someone like me. The physician I chose is local and I will be paying cash since don't meet insurance requirements. He reconfirmed with me why wait until I reach morbid obesity with multiple co-morbidities. scheduled for nov 1 so now really starting to doubt my decision. I know this is just part of the reality and that everyone has these feelings. Just can't wait til it's over!

Not saying broadcast your decision hewever if someone strugling with their own weighjt loss asks how you managed to lose do not lie and tell them you did it by diet and exercise. Tell them the truth and mayube share your experience!! Unless you yopurself fell guilty with your decision!

I totally agree. As I pointed out, they are the only folks I have told outside my family ... those struggling with weight issues themselve. I do feel we have a responsibility to them.

Thank you all for replys. I am scheduled for surgery and no it is nobody's business and don't plan on sharing how I lose weight with anyone just going to say I made some changes in my life.

I'm excited for you!

My only comment is - I wouldn't care what people say about the surgery. I am reading so many comments on other posts about this same subject. You are right - it's no one's business on how you lost the weight - but even if you told them, you shouldn't care what they think - this is your life. We are all behind you 100%!

I had the surgery 10/11/12. I only need to lose around 55-60 pounds. I'm tired if losing and gaining it back. I'm hoping this will help me keep it off. I have been fighting this since puberty and now at 47, I'm tired of the fight. I have always been a "healthy" heavy girl but the last year, my cholesterol and sugars have been creeping up. I did it for health reasons mainly but i can't lie, cute clothes are in my future! You do what's best for you!!