Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5.5 Months Out, 61 Pounds Down, Sz 26- 14 And Feel Fatter Than Ever

I must have some form of body dysmorphic disorder, not because I see myself at fat now...but because I did not see how fat I was. I've lost 60 pounds and can officially shop for "regular" clothes. My surgery was in April and I really didn't buy clothes until now. I tended to where "stretchy" clothes than came in , S-XXL so never really felt a difference. I could where a Large or XL vs the XXL...but that was it. So, I have been going to the GAP, TJ MAxx and am floored that a 14 or even a 12 fit me. But I look in the mirror and want to cry. I am seriously lumpy, bumpy and just plain fat. Pants fit me, but the waist is huge and my underwear stick out the back because my butt is so big. I think it is my body type as well. On top I am a medium and hips down a XL. The way I see myself now is how I saw myself 60 pounds heavier...so just feel like I haven't come very far. Also, my weight loss has sllloowwwed to a crawl and I have even gained for no apparent reason. Just 1-2 pounds but still.

UGH! I am such a rationale person, but this is really bothering me to the point that no one wants to shop with me because I become so moody when I see myself.

I must have some form of body dysmorphic disorder' date=' not because I see myself at fat now...but because I did not see how fat I was. I've lost 60 pounds and can officially shop for "regular" clothes. My surgery was in April and I really didn't buy clothes until now. I tended to where "stretchy" clothes than came in , S-XXL so never really felt a difference. I could where a Large or XL vs the XXL...but that was it. So, I have been going to the GAP, TJ MAxx and am floored that a 14 or even a 12 fit me. But I look in the mirror and want to cry. I am seriously lumpy, bumpy and just plain fat. Pants fit me, but the waist is huge and my underwear stick out the back because my butt is so big. I think it is my body type as well. On top I am a medium and hips down a XL. The way I see myself now is how I saw myself 60 pounds heavier...so just feel like I haven't come very far. Also, my weight loss has sllloowwwed to a crawl and I have even gained for no apparent reason. Just 1-2 pounds but still.

UGH! I am such a rationale person, but this is really bothering me to the point that no one wants to shop with me because I become so moody when I see myself.[/quote']

Are you tracking your food and exercising?

Your accomplishments so far are awesome! Just keep remembering that... As far as body issues, you can do specific exercises that target those areas of need. I have done this for my tummy and butt and it seems to be working.

Yep, this is a problem for all of us. It is quite an adjustment to make. But your not done yet losing weight, your body is constantly redistributing the fat.... Take a deep breath when this happens and remind yourself how far you have come. You will have excess skin when you reach your goal, but it will look better and feel better than all that fat that use to be there. you have more energy and can do more things. You have many more NSV'S coming your way..... Sit back, smile, and enjoy the journey, you Rock! :)

I must have some form of body dysmorphic disorder, not because I see myself at fat now...but because I did not see how fat I was. I've lost 60 pounds and can officially shop for "regular" clothes. My surgery was in April and I really didn't buy clothes until now. I tended to where "stretchy" clothes than came in , S-XXL so never really felt a difference. I could where a Large or XL vs the XXL...but that was it. So, I have been going to the GAP, TJ MAxx and am floored that a 14 or even a 12 fit me. But I look in the mirror and want to cry. I am seriously lumpy, bumpy and just plain fat. Pants fit me, but the waist is huge and my underwear stick out the back because my butt is so big. I think it is my body type as well. On top I am a medium and hips down a XL. The way I see myself now is how I saw myself 60 pounds heavier...so just feel like I haven't come very far. Also, my weight loss has sllloowwwed to a crawl and I have even gained for no apparent reason. Just 1-2 pounds but still.

UGH! I am such a rationale person, but this is really bothering me to the point that no one wants to shop with me because I become so moody when I see myself.

I am with you here 100%. Its like I still see myself as a 210 pound person now even though I weigh 170. I also felt like I looked like a 210 pound person when I was really 260lbs. (I never really saw myself as big as I really was until lately) its odd. I can say I think it does get better.

How you doing there?? You are not alone I also seey self not as big as I actually am so it feels good to know I'm not the only one.... Bit I do think you should shop a little more maybe by yourself and try everything on even if you don't think it'll look good & I'm sure you'll surprise yourself and hopefully see yourself smaller again (like we saw ourselves before the weight loss began) & definitely buy new panties small ones so they don't stick out the back oh yeah maybe some spanxs or a girdle....

You are well on your way even if you weight loss is at a snail patse. I see myself the same way even though Im 51 lbs down. I hate my butt and people tease me about it now. What made me feel better is when I went back to my hometown last week and my family n friends was telling me how great I look. As far as my body shape I plan on going to the gym because the walking isn't tone me. Best of luck

Let me tell you....you're not alone. I am also bottoms heavy and have always been. I also have trouble seeing my weight loss at times. My solution is I snap a full body picture of myself, this allows me to see myself as everyone else does, then when I compare it to a before picture it amazes me. I also have a blazer that was from my preop days, I usually try it on just for the heck of it. I'm sure I look like Alice from Alice in wonderland when she shrinks in her dress.

Most women do not have perfect body proportion sizes to fit in clothes exactly. Most of us have to get our clothes alterted to fit us. Keep this in mind when shopping, different manufacturers also cut clothes differently. Don't be discouraged when you try clothes on; realize the potential once the clothes are altered.

First let me say I am not yet sleeved but do know others who have been. This is an observation of mine so perhaps those a year out can chime in as to whether I'm accurate or if this is wishful thinking. =] I will have turned 60 by the time I get the sleeve so I'm already prepared to accept a smaller, healthy body and whatever, hair loss, skin sag, wrinkles, I end up with.... but I will be dropping to the floor to play with my grandkids!

One thing I noticed is that after a huge loss, it takes time for things to "shuffle" around. I knew one person, with whom I had a closer relationship so actually saw more of the under clothes areas and a few others with more clothes on. It took a good year but the weight not only redistributed itself over their bodies, but the sagging skin also changed... not disappeared, but reduced some and improved because of the weight shuffle.

Be kind to yourself, get the weight off, exercise and target the most problematic areas, and then learn to dress in ways that minimize the problem areas and play up your assets.

The pouch does not promise added inches of height or a different body type but it helps us be the very best we CAN be. It seems that VSG and patience go hand in hand through all phases of this JOURNEY!

Good luck!

MGT

Your accomplishments so far are awesome! Just keep remembering that... As far as body issues' date=' you can do specific exercises that target those areas of need. I have done this for my tummy and butt and it seems to be working.[/quote']

All you need is Pilates 3 times a week.

Congrats on your weight loss! You have so much to be proud about. There is this common misconception that this is the easy way out and I must say, that idea is dead wrong! So good for you on getting this far! I can understand how you feel fatter now then before, you have extra skin that probably seems to poke out every where. My thoughts would be to look for panties that fit and maybe even go to thongs so you dont get that bunched up feeling! Try Spanx or another type of brand of underwear that gives you support. I also like bras with at least three to four clasps. I find the wider the back strap is the less of a fat roll I have going on back there. Bottom line you are gonna have to exercise and find the store that has clothes that best fit you. OH, I would also avoid low rise jeans. Try to find higher waisted pants that you can kinda tuck yourself into. I love Lane Bryant although they are pricey! Good luck!!!