Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Deal With Making Dinner For Family And/or Going Out?

I'm married and have a teenage daughter. I do all the cooking at home and just wondering, is it difficult to cook for your family after the surgery? I would guess after a long time when you are able to eat regular food, it's not as bad, but how did you deal with it during pre op, and then the lst few months after surgery? And it DOES get easier later...RiGHT? haha I sure hope so! And same question for going out..either to dinner with your significant other or friends...did you just completely avoid it for several months? I'm just wondering how to deal with all of this post op! Thanks for anyone who responds!

hey! don't sweat it. I don't have children, but I do live with my fiancee and he is just like a big kid... he's always munchin' on sweets, heavy carbs and doesn't gain anything! ugh! its annoying. Anyways continuing... I am one month post-op and yes it gets easier... think about it this way.. if you cook, cook "really" whatever you think it enough for your family because remember, you can't have no more than 3 small bites. your bestfriend will be liquids and popsicles, like it still is in my case! :D hahah

and I got some tips on dining out:

don't order a full size meal unless you and the other person will share it... instead order; the "half meal" , a side dish, the house salad, or my favorite- an appetizer!

so, don't feel weird or awkward because you did this surgery for a great reason, ok!

Hope this helps!

P.S. eat slow, chew chew chew otherwise you will get gag reflex! :D

I'm about 4 weeks out and I've been cooking and going out to eat quite a bit, and it hasn't been hard for me. In my case, the surgery has really cut back on my hunger, and I don't feel jealous or left out at all. I guess the best way I can put it is that food seems like art to me now...it's so pretty to look at, it smells good, and I even take little tastes, but I don't feel the need to shove it all in me.

It has liberated me so quickly, I still can't believe it. I have three kids and a husband to cook for, so it wasn't like it was really a choice for me not to cook, but I have done a lot of pre-made oven meals and simple things for now.

When I go out to eat, I just order something I'll be able to eat, have a little bit, and box up the rest. Nobody's even said a word to me or looked at me funny. Oh wait, one waitress said, "You didn't like your egg?" because I could only eat half of one egg. Nobody even gave me a second glance for ordering off the children's menu!

During my pre op diet I was, well... miserable. It is just something you push through. I would drink my shake first then cook dinner and leave the room. I know that is not ideal, but it made it bearable. Afterwards I was never hungry, I did however crave being able to chew. You should just avoid going out for the first month or so. Once you get on solid foods you can try going to a restaurant, but I would suggest nibbling off your families plates and avoid spicy foods for awhile. Another good thing to remember, if it was hard for you to digest prior to surgery it will be three times worse after. It DOES get better lol. I am almost 4 months out and I can pretty much eat whatever I want, I avoid specific foods though. My meal size is 2.5 ounces and I am still struggling to get all my Protein in (shakes for Breakfast are best). Everyone is different, just follow your Dr. orders, and I wish you the best of luck! Keep me posted!

It gets better! I enjoy eating out and have since the first couple of weeks post-op. I started out with crab or shrimp cocktail, sauce on the side. Hard to feel deprived when you are staring at a mound of dungeness crab! Although I did eventually tire of crab and shrimp, by then I could eat more foods and I ventured out to more on the appetizer menu, then Soups. If I order off the main menu, I just eat what I want. If we are going home after, I box leftovers.

Another trick is to try something new at a restaurant or home when you are not feeling too hungry. That way, if it doesn't taste good or go down well, at least you are not hungry afterwards.

For cooking at home, I include foods I can eat. As time goes by you'll be able to eat more, but family cooking will still look the same. So for example, I make chicken thighs on the Showtime rotisserie with a side of cooked veggies and a packaged noodle mix. At first, I could only eat 1 oz. of the chicken thigh and a bite of the veggies. Now, at almost 18 months out I can eat 3 oz. of the chicken thigh, about 1/2 cup of veggies and 1/3 cup of the noodles.

Lynda

It was hard at first, post op, mainly because I had zero desire for food which made me not want to cook. I stuck with dishes that my family loved and made enough for 2 nights. I made Soups and stews, etc. I was never big on Chinese take out so they were happy to do that once a week.

Now, i just eat the Protein and veg from whatever dinner I prepare. It is much better now!

Hey there. A week before I started my pre-op diet I decided to go ahead and cook some food for the family and freeze it for them for the first few weeks so I wouldnt have to worry about it for the first few weeks. I knew that my husband and son could take care of themselves but it was something I decided to do so I wouldnt worry and do more than I should. It was good that I did, because the same day of my surgery, my husband broke his leg and has been in a leg cast and on crutches since then, so it really has helped alot. I just cooked some things that would be easy for them to heat up or stick in the oven. They have really appreciated it and I am so thankful that I did it.

I also took the same time to prepare a few broths and cream Soups and I packaged them in small bags because I knew I wouldnt be able to eat much at all. Funny because I actually ate a lot less than I thought I would.

I have been out to eat twice since my surgery. Once during my full liquids stage when I could have cream Soup. We looked at the menu online and made sure that they had something I could eat. The second time was just last sunday and I am now on pureed foods and mushee foods so I had some baked fish and mashed potatoes. Actually I ate on that one meal for 4 more meals. Talk about a money saver!

I have been able to start cooking where the whole family can eat at least close to what I can eat. We have had blackened talapia this past week that the whole family loved! I have red Beans in the crock pot for tonight. They will have red Beans with sausage and rice and I will have a 1/2 cup of the beans smushed up.

The first few weeks are hard. Hard being around the family eating whatever they want and it is hard for them because my family felt bad eating things around me but I had to keep telling myself that this was my decision and not theirs. Just take a walk, take a shower or read a book if it bothers you. Now I can pop popcorn, bake Cookies and make meals for the family and it not really be an issue.

Heres hoping for great success for you!

I don't have a family to cook for, so my situation is a bit different. I do take care of my mom, who at this point is still wanting to cook for herself some of the time.

When I cook for her, I make things that I can eat too. I make meat (lean) and veggies. I usually either skip the carbs or put a potato in the oven or something similarly easy and hands off - since I don't eat carbs and I love them that is the hardest part. I also make omelettes - hers is just prepared to include the yolk, lots of butter, lots of cheese, more veggies... you get the idea. Mine is egg whites, fat free cooking spray, a very small amount of cheese, and a few baby tomatoes. It is interesting because I am always trying to keep weight on her or get her to gain due to her illness, and my Quest is the opposite!

Going out to eat is a treat. I do look online at every menu before I go to a restaurant - I have found that some restaurants don't have a single thing that fits my dietary needs. I order smaller plates, appetizers, share food, take food home, and on occasion have asked them to bring half an order although I have paid full price. Just having some variety can be so nice. My only concern is that there are always hidden calories when a restaurant prepares my food.

You know I LOVE this site and I so appreciate all of you taking the time to answer this for me. It really does help to hear from people who have been there done that so thank you!!! I liked many of your ideas and I'm quite sure I will be utilizing lots of them!!! :)

At first it was depressing for me to cook for them, and watch them eat what I couldn't, but now that I am more then a year post op I enjoy it again....of course now I can enjoy the same things as them, just not as much.