Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions About Post-Op Flight Home

Hi All,

I just have a few questions, if anyone can shed some light I would greatly appreciate it.

Did you request wheelchair help?

Did you board before others?

Did you feel sick or get sick at all on the plane?

I am trying to be as prepared as I can be so I was curious about the above or anything else that may help.

Thanks again to all of my VSG family for always offering their opinions and advice it is much appreicated.

I actually up-graded to first class for my trip home. I didn't need help walking. I checked my bag so I didn't have to drag anything through the airport.

Did you request wheelchair help? Nope, I had already walked about 3 miles round-trip from the hotel to the mall in Tijuana...didn't need a wheelchair. I don't see why you couldn't ask though, if you didn't feel good.

Did you board before others? Nope...my husband was with me and we boarded with everyone else. We had two flights home and had to pretty much book to get to the second flight. That took a little bit out of me, but the flight was fine.

Did you feel sick or get sick at all on the plane? No, not at all. I was much more happy on the flight home because I could drink fluids. I sipped my G2 and distracted myself with movies on my tablet. Here's a disclaimer, though. I don't generally have a woozy stomach, so this felt pretty much the same. If you do, I'd be prepared with some kind of anti-nausea meds.

I got no special treatment, but didn't really need it.

I had a two hour flight four days after my surgery. I carried a neck pillow that I used to cushion my stomach and also bought a seat belt extender, which was a great idea I found on this website. I kept moving my legs and feet during the flight. I was worried about the flight back but everything went really well - just took it a bit slower than I normally would

I didn't need any special help, I checked my bag so I wouldn't have to lift it. I flew from SD to Pittsburgh with one connection. I am not going to lie, the first leg of the trip was miserable! I was in the middle of the row seated next to a crazy woman who cried the whole time and kept asking me to put her pierced ear ring in! 2nd part of the flight was much better. I was next to an empty seat and sipped on hot tea the whole way home. It was a loooong day !

I had a roller bag and asked people to put it in the overhead bin since I couldn't lift and they were happy to help. Even through the security the guy in front of me put it on and took it off the belt. I put a stuffed animal between my stomach and the belt and had no problems with take-off and landing. I only had the one bag so I wanted to keep my passport and ipad with me.

I flew southwest so I checked in online early so I had earlier boarding, Pulling the bag through the airport was a little tiring and I had to sit down a couple of times to rest, but I probably would have had to rest regardless.

I've read others post they asked for a wheelchair and to be boarded 1st to minimize the hustle and bustle and to not over do it. No shame in taking an extra step to maximize your comfort...

Amanda Rae

Wheelchair -- No I didn't request wheel chair. It was actually WONDERFUL to be able to walk. It was a long day w/ 2 flights. We left @ 8:30AM from hotel and didn't arrive @ destination until almost midnight. I was anxious to walk every chance I got.

Early boarding... I'm not sure early boarding is needed. BUT I HIGHLY recommend making sure you get an aisle seat. So if flying SW or an airline that doesn't assign seats then early boarding might be best. I did request early boarding on the 2nd leg of flights as we were on SW and I wanted to make sure I got an aisle so I could get up to go to bathroom or walk if needed. It was a 5 hr flight.

Sick or not?: No, Never felt sick @ ALL. I did pay extra for pain medication for day of flight as original prescription from Dr was finished day b4. However, I think I could have done w/o it. Never felt pain.

TMI -- only other thing on the day of my flight... It was my first BM day and I am so GLAD I had my gatorade that day. I would definitely make sure you consume your liquids and if you think u might need the electrolytes purch a gatorade to sip on after you check bags!

I did request a wheel chair. You don't know how you will be feeling so why push it. No need to be a martyr. I had help loading my suitcase into the ovehead. I take a motion sickness pill for flying so I had no sickness issues.

Wheelchair -- No I didn't request wheel chair. It was actually WONDERFUL to be able to walk. It was a long day w/ 2 flights. We left @ 8:30AM from hotel and didn't arrive @ destination until almost midnight. I was anxious to walk every chance I got.

Early boarding... I'm not sure early boarding is needed. BUT I HIGHLY recommend making sure you get an aisle seat. So if flying SW or an airline that doesn't assign seats then early boarding might be best. I did request early boarding on the 2nd leg of flights as we were on SW and I wanted to make sure I got an aisle so I could get up to go to bathroom or walk if needed. It was a 5 hr flight.

Sick or not?: No' date=' Never felt sick @ ALL. I did pay extra for pain medication for day of flight as original prescription from Dr was finished day b4. However, I think I could have done w/o it. Never felt pain.

TMI -- only other thing on the day of my flight... It was my first BM day and I am so GLAD I had my gatorade that day. I would definitely make sure you consume your liquids and if you think u might need the electrolytes purch a gatorade to sip on after you check bags![/quote']

Do u have to pay extra for early boarding?

Did you request wheelchair help?

Nope, should have it was like from one end of the airport to the other and I was late. I had to RUN to get to my plane and - of course it was delayed making my rush completely unnecessary.

Did you board before others?

Yes, only because I too upgraded to first class, best $75 I ever spent, they treat you royal.

Did you feel sick or get sick at all on the plane?

No, generally felt like crap which I did for MONTHS prior to the WLS and MONTHS afterward too, my system was so screwed up from everything. The plane ride was fine, no effects from altitude or anything that I noticed, just traveling itself was a b***** in general.

Thank you everyone, I decided to call the airline and set up for a wheel chair for the return flight just in case.

I also found out there is a line when going through security for people with diablities which is good for me, I have a bad back (herniated disks) and bad knees (had arthroscopic surgery on both) so I can not stand too long without being in pain so I am glad I called in and found out this little bonus, a shorter line or being moved to the front of the line :)