Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I Have To Be Converted To A Full Bypass....

I found out that my sleeve is twisted or I have a kink...however you want to refer to it. I am scared to death to be converted to the full sleeve now. I have never even hear of this happening and I can hardly find any info on the twisting. Has any one had this or know anything about it. or been converted?

I have to walk into a meeting right now...I will look into it and see what I can find. Did they mention any medical terms you can think of, or if they said you had ripped or loosened any tissue? Is your liver or pancreas involved in any way?

Also, have you got a second opinion? How did they come up with this diagnosis?

I had a gastric bypass on 9/19/12. Everything has gone great. I don't have any information on the twisting - I'm sorry!

The recovery is exactly the same as with the sleeve so this forum has been so helpful to me. I was released from the hospital after 2.5 days and was walking the day after the surgery in the hospital and was driving again five days later. I will be two weeks out tomorrow and so far (knock on wood) I have not experienced dumping issues or diet issues.

I hope that everything will go smoothly for you!

Aparently in about1% of people the stomach can twist. I was having pain on my left side for about two months now. My stupid surgeon too, my gallbladder out and guess what i still had the pain. I had ever test under the sun except an upper gi. I found another surgeon at loyola and he told me that my stomach was tiwsted just by talking to him. he did the upper gi to confirm and also scoped me again as my other dr did. I am just annoyed that my other surgeon did not catch any of this and i dont even know how to go about dealing wiht him. I have been out of work and now have to be out of work again and have no time left. I will be going with out money for a while. I wish i could sue him. im so frustrated.

So the only option they have is to convert you from the sleeve to a full bypass ? there are no other options ?

I'm a bit lost here. How does rearranging your intestines fix a twisted/linked sleeve? This really doesn't make sense to me.

I recall reading this can occur if the sleeve is too small. Maybe research from that angle.

Is the other surgeon familiar with bariatric surgeries and what our anatomy looks like after?

I'm a little confused here too. -__-

If someone's stomach got twisted and they had a normal stomache, what would they do to fix?

I'm so sorry youre experiencing this, please let us know how you're doing!!

This is what I found so far- not sure if it helps but here it is...

A stomach obstruction is a blockage which leads to both vomiting and moderate to severe abdominal pain. Because the stomach is now a narrow tube that does not have its usual lateral attachments, it is possible for the tube to kink or twist leading to a blockage. This problem is thought to be very rare, and has only been reported in a few patients across the country. If this cannot be corrected with conservative therapy then an operation to untwist the stomach may be necessary.

I'm a bit lost here. How does rearranging your intestines fix a twisted/linked sleeve? This really doesn't make sense to me.

From looking at an illustration, the pouch is created near the top of the stomach and an opening is created (stoma) that leads directly to the intestine that is routed up to meet it. The rest of the stomach, or sleeved stomach (even if it is a twisted mess) is left in the body unattached. The pouch is up high just below the esophagus.

I still would get one more opinion just to be safe. So sorry your experiencing this.

This just totally sucks! Hope things go better for you! :)

I'm so sorry to hear this. I pray everything works out in the end! Keep your head up, and get a second opinion!!! God will supply all your needs!!! Are you in Chicago?

This is very frighting. I didn't know that was possible. I am sorry it happened to you and prey to good it never happens to me.....now I am scared. Let us know how you make out.

It seems like this is one of the rare complications. It seems as if conversion to bypass is the usual treatment. This is where the search function is a must. Another thread hinted that a lot of surgeons are simply more comfortable with gastric bypass and so go into their comfort zone.

You may want to find a surgeon that will give you some options.

Read this thread:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/54769-twisted-stomach/