Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Facing Real Doubts

Hello all. My surgery is scheduled for Oct. 9. I have been following my getting ready diet faithfully, and thought I was truly ready for the surgery. I actually saw a video of the surgery yesterday, and it really freaked me out. Here are the things that are my biggest concerns:

I really hate sugarfree products. I am allergic to aspartame, and I really just don't like splenda. I can probably handle it for the 4 weeks of blended after the surgery, but I don't really want to use it afterwards.

Could I do this by myself without surgery? I've lost almost 30 lbs since July. Could I lose the 150 lbs by myself?

What if I get Water nausea? I love Water. And I don't love crystal light (cause of the splenda).

What if I have a lot of pain afterwards? I am so sensitive to pain.

I've been having a lot of issues taking my Vitamins. Every time I try, I throw up. My gag reflex seems to be so darn active! What if I can't get the Vitamins I need?

I'm so nervous all of a sudden.

Please help me get past this?

Zuwi

You may need to try a few different types of sweeteners to find something that is well tolerated, perhaps stevia? Otherwise, you may have to lean toward savory flavors with unflavored Protein powder added. That's the one thing you have to focus on for health and healing is a lot of Protein. In the beginning that can be hard to get without solids. You can get chicken broth with protein added, or make your own broths and other Soups and add the unflavored protein. Some people do drink diluted juice after surgery, but avoiding sugar is a primary way we lose all those unwanted calories (hence weight loss) and if you can't give up real sugar, you may find it very hard to lose the weight because you have to drink a lot of fluids every single day and drinking protein is challenging because something has to make it palatable.

Once you are on full solids it is much easier to get your protein from regular foods and you won't have to rely on artificially sweetened Protein drinks or Protein Bars. But your Fluid will more thank likely have to be Water or unsweetened drinks.< /p>

It really is something to think about and I am not judging you, as we are all different. Artificial sweeteners don't bother me at all, but that's just me.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

I have never been a sweet person. Ever. ESPECIALLY Crystal Light. The artificial sweeteners are horrible.

For my pre-op diet, I read that artificial sweeteners are 600 more times sweeter than sugar. It got me to thinking. I ended up taking any flavor of Crystal Light and diluting it by 1/2. If one envelope makes a 1/2 gallon, I made it into a gallon instead. It was pretty much flavored Water to me. It wasn't sweet. It just gave me a variety.

It sure helped me!

First off, everything you are feeling is totally normal. You should be questioning everything about this, including yourself. This is major surgery and you are about to make a fundamental change with your relationship with food. You do have to wrap your brain around it all, but if you are ready to make a change with doing the same old, same old, then the sleeve, I think, is the best way to go. At least it was for me.

I really hate sugarfree products. I am allergic to aspartame, and I really just don't like splenda. I can probably handle it for the 4 weeks of blended after the surgery, but I don't really want to use it afterwards.

I avoid sugar free as much as I can. I, too, don't like the substitutes, but sometimes they are difficult to avoid. You don't have to do sugarfree.

Reduced sugar, yes.

Could I do this by myself without surgery? I've lost almost 30 lbs since July. Could I lose the 150 lbs by myself?

If you're anything like me, no. I have dieted and lost dozens of times only eventually regaining it back and more. I needed a permanent tool to help me get off this rollercoaster. Again, the sleeve was the answer for me.

What if I get Water nausea? I love Water. And I don't love crystal light (cause of the splenda).

We can't live in a world of "What ifs". You'll make yourself crazy for sure. What if you get hit by a bus as you leave surgery? What if you don't get the surgery and you have an aneurysm? The answer is you do the best you can do. You'll get by. I've never touched a Crystal Light.

Let me tell you, you will have pain afterwards. You have a 95% chance of that, for sure. But, they give you lorital which is a liquid pain management solution. It works and you get by. Not really a big deal for most.

I've been having a lot of issues taking my Vitamins. Every time I try, I throw up. My gag reflex seems to be so darn active! What if I can't get the Vitamins I need?

Then you get liquid vitamins, gummy vitamins, shots ... there are solutions out there. Trust me. You are not the only pirate on this ship.

I before surgery HATED sugar free items I couldn't handle the after taste. Well that has changed. I was shocked! I love my sugar free Popsicle. My taste buds changed............

Good Luck

The process definitely isn't pain or willpower-free. The first few weeks after surgery can be a drag, even if you don't have pain.

You just have to decide if the delayed gratification is worth some suffering. That's the tradeoff we all have to make.

And you might be able to lose it on your own. I don't think most of us do this to lose the weight, but to keep it off long-term.

Good luck.

Hello all. My surgery is scheduled for Oct. 9. I have been following my getting ready diet faithfully, and thought I was truly ready for the surgery. I actually saw a video of the surgery yesterday, and it really freaked me out. Here are the things that are my biggest concerns:

I'm so nervous all of a sudden.

Please help me get past this?

Zuwi

I went through the same thing last week and again yesterday. My surgery is Monday. I keep reminding myself that I want the weight to stay off. No more yo yoing. My doctor mentioned liquid vitamins. They were going to give me samples but forgot. That may help! I love water too and not crazy about diet drinks but found if I dilute crystal lite ALOT it gives me something different. I also make a water drink with ginger, lemon, and cucumber sliced in it. Gives me some variety. Hope that helps you a little!

Everything you feel is normal. I as well hate everything "diet" the difference between us is I love crystal light but only one flavor "fruit punch" the Walmart brand of "grape" is also yummy, honestly it tastes like koolaid, no joke. I picked up the unflavored Unjury and the chicken Soup. But that said I will eat my Protein when I can, I'd prefer to eat them drink. That's my plan now but who knows what may divert me. Many people said there taste buds changed after surgery, some said that things became too sweet. I'm sure I didn't mention that I love sweets ... So of this changes ill be thankful!

You will find a way, if you can't come

Back here for more suggestions. We're all in the same boat!

Right up until they put me under I second guessed myself.. I had to remind myself that if I could have "done it myself" I would have already done so and I wouldn't be in that position.. I too cannot tolerate "artificial" anything.. Aspartame gives me BAD headaches and everything else just tastes nasty... I was warned that my taste buds would change after surgery and they weren't kidding.. SF popcicles taste just like regular ones... I use Mio (Albertsons store brand) so that I can control the amount of flavor but that is rarely because of the aftertaste. I have about half a cup of coffee in the mornings now, I use regular sugar, just very little of it...

As for the pain... the more you walk, the less you hurt in the long run. GasX strips are great for any gastric gas.. You will not be able to get down the 40+ ounces of liquid to start with... I haven't met anyone that can.. but you do the best you can.... chewable Vitamins... I now use the One a Day gummie Vitamins and they taste good...I take B12 by injection once a month just to keep my levels up... but I have always had Vitamin level troubles....