Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well That's That! So Upset Right Now

My egd biopsy reported that I have Barrett's esophagus. I know nothing right now other than that and it's a contraindication of the sleeve. So i will not e getting surgery.

I have to go see my surgeon about other options. Not really sure what those options are as I now can't do lap band either and I do NOT want rny. So I feel very lost and like the last couple month have been a total waste of my time and money. On the plus side I learned I have this and have to keep an eye on it.

But I feel very upset and just lost. Lost on how to lose this weight that I need to so very desperately.

Ohhhhh, I am SOOO sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how disappointing this must be. Is this condition treatable / curable? Is there any chance you can have WLS after it is treated? I don't even know what it is - I'll have to look that up.

My thoughts and well wishes are being sent to you as I know you are just TOTALLY blown away right now. Please keep us posted..... XOXO :wub:

I am so sorry!! This news isn't something any of us want to hear. I don't know a lot about Barrett's. I have a friend that has it, but it's not something she likes to talk about. I will be saying so many prayers for you! I hope that you can get some answers and soon! Hang in there, Sweetie. If you want to talk, you can pm me. Hugs!!

Perhaps talk more in depth to your surgeon? One of the gals in my IRL support group has Barrett's and has done amazingly well with her sleeve.

Gather as much info as you can and discuss it further with your surgeon. Like Lissa said, she knows someone who has the sleeve and Barrett's. Let us know what's going on...... :) Sorry for the bad news.....XOXO!

Thanks all. I will definitely be doing a lot of research and hopefully we can all come to an agreement on what to do. I'm just overwhelmed right now with everything. Barrett's can get bad. But I look at it as so can being overweight. So I just need to calm down do some research and talk to my doctor. I will keep you posted.

I found out pre-op as well that I have that as well but I was still able to be sleeved. I just have to have an endoscopy every couple of years.

I found out pre-op as well that I have that as well but I was still able to be sleeved. I just have to have an endoscopy every couple of years.

was there anything special you had to do before you could get sleeved? i only briefly talked to my surgeon. he wants me to come in and talk to him about options but on the phone said i couldnt do sleeve. he didnt give an indication as to how bad the barrett's was but seemed very shocked tha ti had it as my reflux isnt that bad.

any info you have would be great. thanks!

I'm so sorry shrinhadink! Maybe bypass isn't as bad as you think, if it's your only option. A friend at work who had my surgeon and looks terrific had bypass last year. I thought she had the VSG but she said she couldn't (no details given). She's lost 85 pound since last Oct. w/ no complications. She looks fantastic! Don't be discouraged, Hun. Just keep reading real life stories and keep informed!

Barrett's is usually caused by bad reflux from what I understand. It can lead to esophageal cancer if it isn't controlled.but rare....don't freak....i read somewhere just this week online that VSG plus something.....can reverse Barrett's esophagus ....sorry i can't give you better info but that suprised me wheni read it as i'm a nurse...so do your research before you go see your doc again. i will see if i can find wehre i read it too. Good luck and don't get discouraged. Sounds like if you got yearly egd/s like the earlier person said it would be ok. but i'm sure every doc is different. Take care!!

Barrett's is usually caused by bad reflux from what I understand. It can lead to esophageal cancer if it isn't controlled.but rare....don't freak....i read somewhere just this week online that VSG plus something.....can reverse Barrett's esophagus ....sorry i can't give you better info but that suprised me wheni read it as i'm a nurse...so do your research before you go see your doc again. i will see if i can find wehre i read it too. Good luck and don't get discouraged. Sounds like if you got yearly egd/s like the earlier person said it would be ok. but i'm sure every doc is different. Take care!!

Thanks for the support.

I'm shocked that the Surgeon said you can't get the VSG with Barretts... You might want to get a second opinon on that. Are you currently taking anything like Prilosec for the acid (even if it's minor)? You might want to see about getting on that and re-testing for the Barretts in a year. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Barretts and did another endoscopy a year later and found out that I was mis-diagnosed. Good Luck, I'm sure everything will work out.

I'm shocked that the Surgeon said you can't get the VSG with Barretts... You might want to get a second opinon on that. Are you currently taking anything like Prilosec for the acid (even if it's minor)? You might want to see about getting on that and re-testing for the Barretts in a year. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Barretts and did another endoscopy a year later and found out that I was mis-diagnosed. Good Luck' date=' I'm sure everything will work out.[/quote']

Thanks! Like I said I still need to meet with the dr to go over everything and hopefully I will get more answers. I do take lansoprazole which I believe is generic Prevacid. When you were misdiagnosed had you had a biopsy done? Because he said my biopsy showed that I have it. Thanks for your help.

Yes, they did a biopsy and the results came back from the lab as Barretts. A year later they said the tissue looked completely normal. How often to you have acid reflux? For me it was horrible pre-surgery. Even with taking two prilosec doses a day I still had issues. During the surgery they fixed my hiatal hernia and I have not had acid reflux since. I would think having the VSG would only benefit you. Weight loss and the repair of any Hiatal Hernia that you may have can only reduce any problems with acid reflux which is likely why you have the Barretts in the first place.

I have Barrett's and my doc was pushing hard for a bypass. I have no interest, so my doc agreed to the sleeve if I come back every year to be scoped. if my reflux gets worse, he will convert the sleeve to a bypass when needed. Hopefully the hernia repair and weight loss help resolve my reflux and Barrett's... Maybe this strategy will work for you too!