Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

P.a. & Surgeon Against Me Getting The Sleeve

Well my surgery is on thursday the 27th and today I had a pre-op physical. This is the second time I met with a P.A. and she warned against me getting the sleeve, very firmly I might add. Both P.A.'s say that if the bmi is over 40, weightloss is so much less (pretty much will gain lost weight in most cases) and I should get the bypass :(. Pretty much I wont even get close to my goal if I dont have the bypass. Im super bummed to meet so much opposition. She told me the day of surgery to be prepared for the surgeon to strongly advise I get the bypass again... I get it. But I have seen people on this site who have the same stats as me, (5"5, 323lbs) and seem to have done very well with the sleeve. I feel very strongly about sticking with my decision despite their prejudices but am I just being stuborn to a fault? She told me she recently had a lady come in after not losing weight on the sleeve and having to get a second surgery, the duodonel switch, and she was so upset she hadnt listened to their advice. Does anyone regret NOT choosing the bypass? Do you have a BMI around 57 and were also encouraged to not get the sleeve? :(

I would wonder why they were pushing a bypass so hard? Does the doctor have experience doing the sleeve & feel competent to do it? The most recent stats I have seen lately show the sleeve & bypass dead even @ 2 years out. I hope you stick to the decision that best suits YOU. Best wishes....

Im not sure besides the fact they think its not effective on people with BMI's over 40. SO discouraging:( Thanks for the response!

I had went to my PA for 17 years and thought of her as a friend. She was against any sort of WLS. She lost 88 pounds on Weight Watchers and thought that anyone else could lose weight on Weight Watchers. I started my 6 months of office visits with her where every time she chided me about my decision. It ended in tears most times. I called my insurance and inquired about changing doctors. Once they gave me the okay I asked for advice from my friends and changed doctors. I felt like I was breaking up with a boyfriend when I left my PA. I have a new doctor who has encouraged me these last three months and I had my surgery earlier this month. Since my previous PA told me that these surgeries never work for anyone, I look forward to showing her that they do. To be honest, it has given me drive. I want to be an advocate for someone changing their life. I really wish some drs wouldn't be so close minded. I firmly believe that my surgery saved my life, at least adding some years to my life. Good Luck to you! You know what's best for you.

My BMI is over 50 and I consulted with 3 different surgeons. Not one of them suggested that bypass would be better for me than sleeve...The statistics are quite clear in that sleeve is just as effective as bypass, and has fewer potential complications down the road...

So they use one patient's experience to justify all future medical decisions? Look at all the studies. What they are saying just isn't true. My BMI was 52. Four months later its 36. The sleeve was originally developed as the first step to a 2 part process for super obese patients. They would have the sleeve to lose a significant amount of weight, then have bypass. But people were so successful with just the sleeve, they didn't feel the need to follow through with the second part.

Ask them to show you the statistics for weight loss for high BMI patients....better yet look them up yourself and show them to the PA.

If you know you want the sleeve, you might also seek out another doctor. Some doctors just have their personal bias and nothing you say or show them is going to change that.

My doctor doesn't recommend the lap bad with a BMI of over 35, but says at a BMI of 54 i was a good canidate for either the sleeve or the by pass. I didn't want a bypass because of the malabsorbstion issues. at 6months I am down from 407 to 311, and couldn't be happier about my choice.

I agree with what 'thebean said!!

Sounds like it's time for a "Dear John" letter to your current surgeon's team!

There are too many success stories on this board that contradict what they are telling you. Of course there are risks and complications too, just as there are with any surgery. Ultimately you have to make the decision that will work for you and what you feel comfortable with! I would not want to have a surgery that I felt forced in to!

Good luck!!!

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and your personal info! I feel I shouldnt have to change my path because of their opinion and hearing from all of you gave me a much needed confidence boost. I am going to get the sleeve, I will just have to stick to my decision come time the surgeon lays it on me. Thanks again <3

I would never have had a bypass, but I jumped at the opportunity the sleeve offered. I am an RN and have taken care of more than a few patients with serious bypass and band complications. I know you read a lot of threads on here that talk about severe problems, but for me the sleeve was the only answer. Don't let the "professionals" sway your decision. They don't know you better than you do. Stick to your decision, and you will be much happier. Anyway, you can always go from the sleeve to the bypass...not the other way around. Good luck and blessings...Kathe

I hope I don't post twice. My first post timed out!

VSG was originally used as a safe was to convert high BMI to RNY! This advise you're getting does not make sense. When I initially consulted my surgeon explain the VSG is middle of the road and if you don't achieve your goals with VSG, you can still convert to RNY or lap band!!!

I strongly suggest you consult another surgical practice. Maybe you have health risks we don't understand but on the face if it. This makes no sense.

life is a journey, not a destination; so, stop running -H.D. THEROUX

Thanks Kathe, so true!!

Cbt, She was very clear that the complication was my bmi being to high to have successful weightloss, or as successful of weightloss as I would with the gastric bypass. They will still do the surgery on me because I dont have diabetes (they would not give me the sleeve if I had diabetes) but want me to be aware I most likely wont reach my goal according to my bmi. They just seem so negative. She reassured me that I could come back and get the duodonel switch to reach my weightloss goals... *PFT* I have a fire lit under me to prove them wrong!!

If they are strongly trying to push you towards a bypass and stating the doctor will as well maybe it's a offhand way of saying he is not competent in this particular procedure.

I would start looking for a new doctor, seriously. Your life is worth it. The insurance company will not care if they are contracted. It may cause a slight delay while they adjust the approval to cover the new physician and/or facility but it is doable.

Yes I don't understand why they would push you toward the bypass, I feel that's what they are doing. My BMI is 70 and I heard nothing like that from my surgeon. When I went in, I told him why I didn't want the RNY, and my reasons are because I am lactose intolerant and anemic. I didn't want to risk messing around with my intestines, I've got enough going on with them LOL. I am scheduled for this Thursday as well. I hope that everything works out for you! :)

I am 5'5, weight about 15lbs less than you and my doctor encouraged me to get the sleeve over bypass. I don't know why the doctor would try to sell you a surgery that you aren't expecting to get, days before your surgery too. Sounds fishy