Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon only requires 2 days of Clear liquids prior to surgery. I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, October 3rd which means I don't start on a pre-op diet until Monday, October 1st.

I am concerned with having an enlarged liver and experiencing complications during surgery. So, here are my questions:

1) How long does it take to shrink your liver?

2) What diet should I be following to get a jump start on the 2 day pre-op diet?

3) How would you know if you have an enlarged liver? Or am I needlessly worrying?

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I only had 24 hours of liquid. It depends on your size/ bmi.

I had 70 total pounds to loose. I had already cut out fried foods meat ect.. Is he having you do the laxative the day before? I actually took some laxatives three days in a row. I was clean as a whistle. Lol

It is not so much shrinking of the liver that is desired, but a de-sliming or improving its texture by depleting it of as much of the glycogen (basically carbs) that it processes as possible. Typically you see docs that call for these diets to be a couple of weeks of low carbs - some do liquids only but there is no real rationale for that. So, if you want to do what you can, keep it low carb for the couple of weeks before your 2 day surgical diet - heavy on meats and veg while minimizing the fruits, sugars, breads, etc. It wouldn't hurt to experiment with the Protein Shakes early on, too, so that you don't get caught up with one that you can't stand when that's your primary Protein source early on post-op.

My surgeon only requires 2 days of Clear Liquids prior to surgery. I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday' date=' October 3rd which means I don't start on a pre-op diet until Monday, October 1st.

I am concerned with having an enlarged liver and experiencing complications during surgery. So, here are my questions:

1) How long does it take to shrink your liver?

2) What diet should I be following to get a jump start on the 2 day pre-op diet?

3) How would you know if you have an enlarged liver? Or am I needlessly worrying?

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

I worry about the exact same questions you are asking, i hope some one has the answers!!! Btw I am getting sooooo nervous, I get sleeved on 10/09, hope I'm doing the right thing!!

I worry about the exact same questions you are asking, i hope some one has the answers!!! Btw I am getting sooooo nervous, I get sleeved on 10/09, hope I'm doing the right thing!!

I hear ya, girl - I hear ya - I am SOO nervous too!

It is not so much shrinking of the liver that is desired, but a de-sliming or improving its texture by depleting it of as much of the glycogen (basically carbs) that it processes as possible. Typically you see docs that call for these diets to be a couple of weeks of low carbs - some do liquids only but there is no real rationale for that. So, if you want to do what you can, keep it low carb for the couple of weeks before your 2 day surgical diet - heavy on meats and veg while minimizing the fruits, sugars, breads, etc. It wouldn't hurt to experiment with the Protein shakes early on, too, so that you don't get caught up with one that you can't stand when that's your primary Protein source early on post-op.

Thank you for your explanation - very helpful. How long do you thinik it takes to make a difference. I only have Tuesday - Sunday of this week and then my clear liquids start on 10/1 and then surgery 10/3. Should I even bother or will a little bit help?

I did 10 days pre op of liquids, lost 20 lbs and was glad I did it. It wasn't easy but I know it made the surgery easier. You can do it. Each day you do it it gets you closer to surgery and every day you do it will help I think.

Good luck. You are going to be glad you did it. I am!

Thank you for your explanation - very helpful. How long do you thinik it takes to make a difference. I only have Tuesday - Sunday of this week and then my clear liquids start on 10/1 and then surgery 10/3. Should I even bother or will a little bit help?

Something is better than nothing. Focus on ur Water, Protein and if u have room (which I won't) ur carbs last but I would stay away from the carbs as well. Remember what ur Protein needs will be after surgery and try making that goal. And I agree with the Protein shakes. I have been on shakes only for 4 weeks and have cheated here and there but down 17ish lbs so far. I too am so nervous about my liver!!

Thank you for your explanation - very helpful. How long do you thinik it takes to make a difference. I only have Tuesday - Sunday of this week

then my clear liquids start on 10/1 and then surgery 10/3. Should I even bother or will a little bit help?

From what I have seen on the various forums (I can't speak from personal experience as the pre-op diets aren't part of my doc's protocols,) some is better than none, and you will have about a week of low carb prep between your 2 day pre-op diet and whatever you do from now until then. Some docs who do the liver shrinking diet will vary the length of diet depending upon patient BMI, with some doing one week, others two or more, so it seems like there is some value in a shorter diet. As a note, I didn't lose anything pre-op (actually gained a bit with all of the "last suppers" associated with all of the pre-op tests and appointments,) and have never been particularly low carb though my diet has long been sane and healthy - just overly-portioned - and my liver was in fine shape at surgery time, (doc tends notice and mention such things as he is also a liver transplant surgeon in his "other life") so YMMV.