Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 Months Out: Can Eat So Much More, Hunger - Old-Timers - Help

I'm 9 months post-op and have had great success with the sleeve. I've lost 75 pounds and have now maintained it for three months. In fact, I'm 5 pounds below my original goal weight (130 lbs at 5 foot 8 inches) and wear a size 4/6.

However, the past few weeks I've noticed that the "honeymoon" period, so to speak, seems to be over. I can eat quite a bit in one sitting and be hungry again an hour later. I feel like I could eat and eat, and my old demons have reared their ugly head. I have cravings. I've been eating too many sweets. I've gained about four pounds, nothing I can't lose again, BUT I'm worried about the pattern. I know what I need to do, and I don't mind the fact that maintaining is daily work (I exercise long and hard every day), but I was really expecting the sleeve to be more assistance long-term than it has been.

If I'm still hungry and can eat nearly as much as I could before, then what was the point? Why did I spend thousands of dollars and put myself through major surgery for this?

One could argue I've lost the weight (something I probably wouldn't have been able to do without the sleeve initially), but it's long-term maintenance I worry about. I thought the sleeve was a PERMANENT solution - yes, a tool I need to use, but a long-term tool nontheless. I thought I'd rarely be hungry or my hunger would be more manageable, but it sure doesn't feel that way now. It almost feels like I don't even have a sleeve. :( I'm frustrated and am wondering what the other sleevers who are 6 months + are doing/feeling.

I am just over 9 months and have definately noticed the "desire to eat" returned sometime over the last few months. According to everything I have read, that sort of challenge happens to many people. The hard cold truth about weight loss surgery - everybody says "it is just a tool" and this is exactly what they mean. It does not permanently assure weight loss or even maintenance. So, I asked someone the same question - why bother then? The answer was this... the tool gives you a chance to catch yourself, get yourself back on track before you have gained a bunch of weight. It keeps you from rebounding UP so quickly. But the key is YOU still have to make that happen. Sucks, but at least I found that out before surgery. (I was a conversion from the lapband so of course i wanted to be sure this actually works over the long term!)

In truth, you probably can't eat what you used to (volume at once) but it is easy to slide into eating too much.

I talked to the dietician about my returning hunger and her main message was to keep portions small. That way, you don't get used to eating large amounts and you can keep a bit more of the restriction.

I personally found that going back to basics:

-8-10 glasses of fluids - check

-60+Grams of Protein everyday - check

-eat Protein first, followed by veggies - check

-limited fruit and whole grains - healthy carbs - check

-follow Vitamin regimen - check

Once I did all that, I felt that my desire to eat began to diminish. When I am hungry before i think I should be, I make myself consume about 16 ounces of Water and that always delays and reduces my eating.

One of my challenges is staying away from the junk food that the rest of the family brings home. Simple carbs (white bread, Cookies, crackers etc) trigger my hunger big time.

One of my challenges is staying away from the junk food that the rest of the family brings home. Simple carbs (white bread' date=' Cookies, crackers etc) trigger my hunger big time.[/quote']

I haven't been sleeved yet - but I am very aware the effect eating this type of crap has on my hunger. They put blood sugar levels all over the place. Sugar and white processed foods are an addiction. "My name is Ozee, and I am a sugar addict."

What are you eating? You need to get your Protein in first and make sure you get your Water in. This will help you fight hunger. I've found I only screw up when I don't eat protein first.

I am almost 2 years post op so I will try to give some information that has helped me.

I still follow a lot of my post-op guidelines like CowGirlJane mentioned as well. For the most part, I stay away from the white stuff. I eat Protein and veggies first with a meal. I never drink with my meals. I eat a lot of Protein and drink a lot of fluids.

I do get physically hungry, but there is a difference between being actually physically hungry and head hunger (just search for it, there is probably a million threads on it). Head hunger is the hardest battle. Most days I win the battle, some days I lose and end up eating a lot of things I shouldn't. The one thing that I do that keeps me on track is not keeping any of that stuff in my house. I also like chips, crackers, salty foods and would eat a lot of them it they were there (they are slider foods, so you can eat a lot more of them as they just kind of turn to mush in your stomach).

I know you don't like hearing it, but it really is only a tool. You still need to make changes to your lifestyle in order to maintain. I am not saying that you should go on a special diet, I see a lot of people do that and I am afraid they are setting themselves up for failure because it is hard to maintain. For me, I made changes that I knew I could live with. I have lettuce wraps to get rid of the carbs in the bread, I eat a lot of veggies, I do not drink anything if it is not sugar free (except on occasion). I still will have other foods like ice cream and chocolate, but in moderation. Am I perfect at it, HELL NO! I still make mistakes sometimes, I still overeat sometimes. But I don't let one bad day (or even a few) throw me off. I just start over again. That is the beauty of the sleeve. Yes, you gained 4lbs, but before the sleeve it could have easily been 40lbs! You have caught yourself before it has gotten out of hand. And you probably really cannot eat as much as you could before surgery. It seems like a lot compared to what you can eat in the beginning months, but I am still guessing it is not as much as before.

I would start by tracking what you eat for a few days. What are you really eating? How many calories are you getting in? Protein? Water? Get back to the basics. You could also try the 5 day pouch test (http://5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html). It was designed for bypass patients, but I have seen many sleeve patients have success with it. It is a good way to get rid of those cravings. I know myself if I start eating high carb or sugary foods, I crave them more and more.

One blog that I love is The World According to Eggface. My Favorite quote from her is:

Weight Loss Surgery is not a DO-OVER (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)

Weight Loss Surgery is a DO-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)

You can do this! Just keep your eye on the prize! Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment (also from Eggface)

Thank YOU, ladies, for the helpful comments.

To answer the question: What do you eat? Truthfully, not the right things; I've fallen off the wagon. I don't do Protein first, even though I know I should. I've been eating slider foods (ice cream, crackers) and not enough veggies/protein.

Cowgirljane, I think your dietician had good advice. I need to go back to the smaller portions. I need to stay away from the binge-trigger foods and start drinking more Water again. I know this; I just need to do it.

Supersweetums, two years out and you're maintaining! That's awesome. I love to hear that. Your changes certainly sound livable and probably what most thin people who haven't been sleeved do. We are overfed in our society.

I have no doubt that a lot of my hunger is head hunger. I just remember the first few months it was so EASY; I was rarely hungry at all. I was on that losing-weight high.

And pre-sleeve I would gain weight so quickly (5 pounds a week was a real possibility), so it's true that the sleeve is keeping the weight gain in check. And I'm probably not eating as much as I was (it's hard to remember) - I just know I'm eating so much more than four or six months ago. It SEEMS like I'm eating so much, but I bet it's still not more than maybe 2400 cals/day (I was eating 1000 a couple months back, however).

I am starting the 5-day pouch test tomorrow; I've done it before and it works for bringing me back on track.

Weight Loss Surgery is not a DO-OVER (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)

Weight Loss Surgery is a DO-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)

I love this quote.

I need to let go of the expectation that I'll be perfect every day and learn to get up, brush off, and MOVE on, even if I have a less than stellar day. This kind of all or nothing thinking is what got me in trouble in the first place.

Wow I have been feeling the same way lately. It's still hard for me a lot to get in the ammount of liquids that I should be. I think what I mostly get is head hunger, I have not had the hunger feeling like I had pre-op, but if I go along time without eating I feel like I need to eat and want to.

Im also curious to hear how much others are eating, and how often, some days I can eat more.

I love this quote.

I need to let go of the expectation that I'll be perfect every day and learn to get up, brush off, and MOVE on, even if I have a less than stellar day. This kind of all or nothing thinking is what got me in trouble in the first place.

You are right. We are so incredibly hard on ourselves because we have been beaten down our whole lives not just by others, but by ourselves. We should know better, we can't have this, we can't have that, we are failures. It just creates a vicious cycle of guilt and shame then over-eating because we feel bad, then more guilt and shame. Everyday is a battle for me to overcome all these little demons inside. But I try to keep perspective. If I eat a small ice cream cone, it isn't going to make me gain weight...it is eating them everyday that will. It is important to learn to be kinder to ourselves.

Supersweetums, two years out and you're maintaining! That's awesome. I love to hear that. Your changes certainly sound livable and probably what most thin people who haven't been sleeved do. We are overfed in our society.

And I'm probably not eating as much as I was (it's hard to remember) - I just know I'm eating so much more than four or six months ago. It SEEMS like I'm eating so much, but I bet it's still not more than maybe 2400 cals/day (I was eating 1000 a couple months back, however).

It actually took me 18 months to even reach my goal, and now I have dipped a little below. But I am happy that I have been pretty much maintaining for the last 4 months. It was a frustrating battle not losing as fast as others, but I think it really helped me entrench new habits because if I didn't, I wouldn't lose the weight!

And you can eat a lot more. I still have great restriction almost 2 years out, but I can still eat a fair amount. At a sitting, I could eat a small chicken breast (3-4oz), 1/4-1/3 c veggies, and a few bites of something else (sometimes a little rice or Pasta, but I only have literally 2 tbsp). I had heard at 6 months out about how much you can eat at that point is what your capacity will be, but, for me anyways, I would say closer to a year. It is a huge learning curve, and learning how much you can eat without feeling overfull or sick is a balancing act! There are still days that I eat too much and don't feel good!

Good luck with the pouch test, you can do it!

It actually took me 18 months to even reach my goal' date=' and now I have dipped a little below. But I am happy that I have been pretty much maintaining for the last 4 months. It was a frustrating battle not losing as fast as others, but I think it really helped me entrench new habits because if I didn't, I wouldn't lose the weight!

And you can eat a lot more. I still have great restriction almost 2 years out, but I can still eat a fair amount. At a sitting, I could eat a small chicken breast (3-4oz), 1/4-1/3 c veggies, and a few bites of something else (sometimes a little rice or Pasta, but I only have literally 2 tbsp). I had heard at 6 months out about how much you can eat at that point is what your capacity will be, but, for me anyways, I would say closer to a year. It is a huge learning curve, and learning how much you can eat without feeling overfull or sick is a balancing act! There are still days that I eat too much and don't feel good!

Good luck with the pouch test, you can do it![/quote']

Hi im having the same problem any support please im new to using this so i dont know.if im doing it right lol

So, another idea is to continue using "small dishes" I think this encourages smaller portion sizes.

I am not a vet at all--but so far the Protein first rule seems to work for me. If I am craving something unhealthy and just feel like I should have a little bit--I will eat a couple of ounces of beef Jerky first. THEN I will have a little bit of whatever I'm craving. By the time the Jerky is in my belly--I've probably diminished my capacity quite a bit! I am telling ya it works like a charm for me. Sometimes I choose a thin slice of ham wrapped in cheese to eat before eating something unhealthy. That Protein first rule--I'm telling ya--it's a life saver lol. Most of the time I eat on plan but there are times--like right before my time of the month--that the protein first rule is what saves my ass from gaining and going crazy. And I never drink when I eat and I can say with fair certainty that I never will. Flushing food down too quick is not something I want to do after paying a lot of money for this surgery.

You can get back on track! The honeymoon may be over--but the years of wonderful marriage have just begun.

I was just responding to another poster, 3 months out and starting to slip a bit, trying to give good sound advice...and this was the next thread up and I appreciate hearing all that you have posted, especially since many have met goal or are very close, because in truth, getting there takes time and I think we all struggle with head hunger and making the wrong choices at times, but I really saw wisdom in your posts.

I really do see this as a lifestyle change and am so happy to have the restriction to help me with Portion Control. I know that prior to surgery I was a volume eater, and it would take me a lot to get full, and my world was filled with cravings.

Keeping the cravings at bay is work for me, but I am able to for the most part stay away from the worst of the evils, I don't even buy crackers anymore because they became my favorite slider food and they would call out to me from the kitchen, anyway I was starting to consume too many calories and could never eat enough of them. So I switched over to black olives and string cheese as my little go to snack.< /p>

I loved the Jerky idea as an appetizer of sorts, but to just keep that hunger in check and take the edge off. Evenings are harder for me, and I do keep low cal frozen Desserts in the freezer when I need a sweet and account for calories on myfitnesspal.

I am losing slowly but steadily, and at 5 months out, I know I have a ways to go, and I am embracing this new life and no longer dream of passing thru In-N-Out for a double-double with fries and a coke. If I have a burger craving, a patty with cheese and pickles does the trick, and if I really want the traditional burger fix, I make a little slider with a small whole wheat dinner roll, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickes and low fat mayo. It is the tiniest thing, but fills me up and satisfies the craving.

You are all a great support!

Know you are not alone in feeling this way, I have been feeling this way alot lately too, I go to my surgeon thursday, I am going to address him with my concerns, I try to stay positve, but is so depressing to think of how much time and money we put in to lose the weight, and then when we are not overly successful we get down in the dumps :(