Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 3 Weeks Out From Surgery And Realizing How Bad My Food Addiction Is

Hi guys,

I was sleeved on 9/4 and have had a great recovery. Just starting last week I've had some really severe acid reflux.

My surgeon said to go back to liquids for a couple days. So I did that BUT last night cheated. The husband and kids were having taco's for dinner and I had a bite of the ground beef taco meat. Felt ok but woke up in the middle of the night with the most sever acid ever. I was basically gurgling and it was burning in my throat. I took my medicine and maalox and it took a couple hours but then it subsided. I still can feel it a little bit and this is many hours later.

I guess that was my lesson to learn. I actually feel ashamed and embarrassed to admit this. I thought because I felt so good and have been doing so good that one little bite wouldn't hurt. Guess I was wrong, thats what I assume happened.

Even though I was having the acid reflux before I took the bite of meat I know the episode last night was from eating the taco meat.

I can't believe that I took such a risk. I never realized how bad my addiction to food is.

I'll admit there have been a couple times that I have cheated with meat. Taking a bite here and there of a piece of steak and then a piece of chicken. I am educated and fully aware of the risks yet I did it anyway. How messed up is that??

I realize now this is deeper than I realized and I need to get a handle on it somehow.

I know we all have our own personal issues with food, that is why most of us are here. Any advice from anyone who has gone through this similar experience is appreciated.

Thanks,

Odee

Is your addiction in your head? I ask this because I am 11 days post-op & I have not wanted ANYTHING! I have to force myself to have the Protein Drinks as I just don't want to eat at all. I have seen food commercials, been around people who were eating Subway or Mickey D's, etc. & nothing....nothing looks good or smells good. Are you seeing a therapist? If not, you might want to find one that deals with food issues. I also had a good talk with myself before my surgery about being 100% compliant after doing something so radical as having most of my stomach removed. I will NOT fail at this. Nothing tastes that good to destroy what I have done. I wish you the best & you WILL & CAn do this!!!

You simply should not be doing this.

Your stomach secretes much lower levels of Grehlin now. I really have no explanation as why you cheat ?!?

If your acid reflux without cheating persists, you must call your doctor.

I had the same realization after surgery. When you finally separate the real hunger (which is gone) from the head hunger, you get a real good picture of where you're at and what you need to do. I realized I did not want to be that person anymore, a person who was subservient to food. It pissed me off and motivated me to change how I look at food. By the time I was allowed to eat solid food all I wanted to do was fuel my body to get myself through the day. Food is no longer my entertainment or my comfort blanket or my reward....it's fuel.

Omg I am so you, I haven't done any taco meat, I don't know what the first lady is yappin about, but I was and am hungry. I had a little bit of birthday cake yesterday and ice cream I am almost 4 weeks out. I got bad heartburn and just felt icky after all that sugar. I am a food addict as well and Iast night I was just feeling uncomfortable not pain wise but emotionally and all I wanted to do was eat since that is what I do or did and I just physically can't so I just sat with feeling uncomfortable. This is all a process don't beat yourself up or feel guilty it'll just make you want to eat more. We are all going to mess up from time to time it is all about progress not perfection.

I think we all will be testing ourselves with eating stuff we are not suppose too. I would usually suggest getting the junk out of your house so that your not tempted, but this was just trying a bit of something you will be able to eat further out. If you believe that you have a food addiction, like the majority of us here, then this is the time to get proactive like Butterthebean did. For me this is a life style change and even though that's where I am, I still will have something like pizza once in a while.

So now it's time to get back on the band wagon and eat as directed by your doc :)

Odee-

Do not come down on yourself! The most important thing right now is to realize you may have a problem and get some help. First of all, I would recommend getting some books on food addiction... I can send you some titles if you'd like. Also, you really should get a therapist who understands WLS and food addiction- super important. This could mean the difference between success and a leak in your sleeve, or worse.

Wether your food addiction is physical or mental it will haunt you. You can take control of it and get some help. I use to think there was NO way I could ever control my impulses with food, but you can! And its not painful! Just need to read some books and get a therapist to help guide you!

Good luck on your journey, its great you were honest to yourself and in your post so you can get some encouragement!

By the way: NO more off post-op foods! :P

My Surgeon gave me a script for Prilosec, 2 x a day. I'm just on day 5 post opt. I'm still trying to get use to getting all my fluids in! Hope you do well in the future!

@butterthebean - It is definitely head hunger and yup, I am pretty pissed off and motivated to not be this person anymore. I think I am also so surprised because I never thought I was “this person”. I thought I was going to be a model patient and follow everything to the T. What an awakening. Thank you for the reply.

@Linsey Bias – I can totally relate to where you are and what you are going through. Although my weakness is meat, not sugar or ice cream. Strange, I know! LOL The realization is just so heavy its hard to not beat myself up. Thank you for your support and we will get through this!

@robynluevano – yes I was on Prilosec pre surgery and am on liquid pepcid now. I also use the Maalox and have been chewing tons of Tums.

@Ms skinniness – thank you for your response. Yes, back on the bandwagon for me! This had been a huge wake up call. Thanks again.

@BrokeMyHalo – thank you, yes I would love some book titles! I am also looking into a therapist. I love to read and this would be very helpful for me. Thank you for the encouragement.

This whole experience has been an eye opener and I am truly blessed to have had such an easy recovery so far. The shame I feel over my realization of my relationship with food (addiction) is something I now understand that I have to address head on and take my head out of the sand and take some action and get my life together.

Thanks guys.

Odee-

Do not come down on yourself! The most important thing right now is to realize you may have a problem and get some help. First of all' date=' I would recommend getting some books on food addiction... I can send you some titles if you'd like. Also, you really should get a therapist who understands WLS and food addiction- super important. This could mean the difference between success and a leak in your sleeve, or worse.

Wether your food addiction is physical or mental it will haunt you. You can take control of it and get some help. I use to think there was NO way I could ever control my impulses with food, but you can! And its not painful! Just need to read some books and get a therapist to help guide you!

Good luck on your journey, its great you were honest to yourself and in your post so you can get some encouragement!

By the way: NO more off post-op foods! :P[/quote']

Brokemyhalo- any books that you recommend?

I found "the sleeved life" to be a very good read right after surgery.

The thing is .we are all food addicts.so to take half the stomach away.doesnt mean we aint gonna get the same cravings as before or hunger.i was feeling very hungry rite after surgery.this is for life.and I cant honestly see people drinking Protein drinks for the rest of their lifes or just eating protein.thin people dont do that.it will come to portion controll.and trying to choose the healthy foods.but every one at some point is gonna have something naughty.you wouldnt be normal if you didnt.every person is different.

Well, in theory hunger should be reduced some just from the removal of the portion of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone ghrelin. But in the end, emotions still do play a role in what we eat.

Ultimately, it comes down to choices. Most of us simply haven't made the right ones in the past, which is what got us to this point. Our mindset simply HAS to change for us to succeed with this. Looking at all the successful stories on this site, it's clear so many have made a dramatic change in their lives, and the results are evident. As I've seen written in several other places on this site and others: "No food tastes as good as being thin feels" (although pizza, burgers, and ice cream sure do taste mighty good!)