Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deciding On Surgery...does Anyone Regret Having The Vsg?

Hi, I'm seriously contemplating the sleeve. Not much support by family though...they're like just quit eating so much and go walk and you'll lose it.....right! like i haven't tried my whole life. My big question is does anyone regret having their sleeve done? If so, why....thanks for the info. I go for my seminar in 1 1/2 weeks.

I haven't had the surgery yet but have the same story as you. I am about 95% committed to having the surgery. I was first going to have the lap band but my surgeon discouraged me from that and we focused mainly on gastric bypass. I have really not wanted to do that so I have been doing alot of research and have decided on the sleeve. My insurance will conver the sleeve and hope the surgeon will do the sleeve instead of the bypass. My husband just keeps saying eat less and exercise more and you wouldn't need the surgeryl Yeah I have tried that over and over and in the end Ijust gain back what I lose plus some. I really feel like this is the answer I have been looking for.

I sure don't regret it! I just had it done at the begining of the month. I have been a professional yo-yoer all my life and decided enough is enough! It only gets harder to loose as we age and for once I want a solution that will help me the rest of my life. My Dad sure knew it because he had gone through what I have been going through my whole life so he even paid for me to have this done.

Sure, the day after surgery I was like, "What the hell did I do to myself". But now- 16 pounds lost, not feeling hungry all the frickin' time and getting full with a 1/2 a cup of Soup. Wow does it feel nice to feel full after so little. I think the only regret people will have is, why did I wait so long and why didn't I do this years ago. I really wish you the best and only you know what's right for you. The fight is over for me- I am ready for this new life of not hiding or trying the next fad diet.

For the most part you are going to see that most people on here are VERY glad to have this new tool to help us not only lose the weight but keep it off. I am almost 4 weeks out, and I can tell you I would do it again in a heart beat! I am one of the people that has insurance but I did not weigh enough for my insurance to pay for it. I was a BMI 32, and you have to be at least a 35 with two additional co-morbities. So I paid myself and I would do it again.

But let's just be clear, this is NOT easy. The first day after surgery was the worst EVER. I had dry heeves for 24 hours straight. Also, I can't just eat any old thing I want, because my sleeve will not let me. I'm probably never going to have soda again, and I'm on a blended diet for another week. My sleeve doesn't care for spicy foods right now, and I love spicy foods. So don't let anybody kid you, this is not easy. Yet, I WOULD do it all again tomorrow. Because, without this tool to help me control me eating, I would still be in the yoyo diet craze and gaining back more every time.

Also, to all those people that tell you to just stop eating and start exercising, you just need to say if it were that easy don't you think I would have done it!

One more thing I forgot, you will find people here who have had problems. You do need to educate yourself about the risks- blood clots, leaks, etc. Looks for the thread that starts what you need to know...

I heard the same thing! I tried everything... Don't let the discourage you! I got sleeved 8/29/12 lost 32lbs. 243 to 211 in 3 wks... At 2 wk point got off all BP meds that I had been on for 11 years. There is no way eating right and walking could have got those results in 3 weeks! Though I am an advocate for healthy lifestyles I know some people need a push... The sugery is by far not the easy way out... Only a tool to get you started!

I wouldn't change a thing! I am so happy with my progress, but I have learned at 6 months post op that carbs are still bad for me and they mess up my hormones. I wish I wouldn't have let the carb-creep happen so quickly.

I wish I had made this decision 10-15 years ago.

I would do it over again in a second. I'm 5 months out and weighed today... I'm down 100 pounds. I've had not one problem. I eat something if I really want to. I am losing a little slower now I've only got like 30 pounds to go. But this is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I wish I would've done it years sooner. Just know it's not easy. You have to choose better food. Choose to be a better you. I workout 4 days a week. But without the sleeve, I would've never gotten to this point. It's not an easy decision. Do it for you. Not for anyone else.

Don't regret it even a single bit. I'm 2 months out and down 40+ pounds. Absolutely has been an incredible journey and I can't wait to see how it continues to progress.

If we're being completely honest, I'd say that everyone regrets it somewhere in the first 4 weeks, kinda like 'what the hell was I thinking doing this to myself' moment. But, after you get past that (it lasted 1 day for me) the regrets go away for probably 99% of us. Then, the only thing you regret is that you let yourself get to the point that you needed this kind of help.

I am 5'6" tall and started my journey at 373lbs. I wore a 56" waist jeans and a 5x-6x shirt. I was sleeved on June 5 this year. I am currently 251lbs, I just bought a pair of jeans from the thrift store yesterday that were 42" waist and I wear 2x shirts comfortably and can wear 1x but, I like looser clothes. I also ran a 5 k last month with my 14 yr old son. My kids can hug me and grasp their hand behind my back for the first time in their lives. And I could go on and on and on about how much I DON'T regret this choice.

Like they said in earlier posts, this isn't easy, but, I've dieted several times. Some were successful, but when you hit the wall and give up, it all comes back. This way, when you hit that wall (we call them stalls) you can't just give up, and when you stick to the program, the weight starts coming off again. I work out 5 days a week, plus do walking. I see results now a lot better than before.

As far as food goes, I'm around 3 months out, and I can enjoy any food I want except for some breads. I am a spicy food LOVER, and thankfully, I am still able to enjoy the heat, though occasionally, I do get heartburn a little easier than I used to.

I would do this again everyday and twice on Sunday if it meant I could have this success.

I haven't had the surgery yet but have the same story as you. I am about 95% committed to having the surgery. I was first going to have the lap band but my surgeon discouraged me from that and we focused mainly on gastric bypass. I have really not wanted to do that so I have been doing alot of research and have decided on the sleeve. My insurance will conver the sleeve and hope the surgeon will do the sleeve instead of the bypass. My husband just keeps saying eat less and exercise more and you wouldn't need the surgeryl Yeah I have tried that over and over and in the end Ijust gain back what I lose plus some. I really feel like this is the answer I have been looking for.

Thanks for letting me know i'm not the only one with an obtuse family...lol...seriously, i think you are right with the sleeve instead of the bypass as far as i can tell from my research also. Keep in touch, sounds like we'll have a close situation!

Hi' date=' I'm seriously contemplating the sleeve. Not much support by family though...they're like just quit eating so much and go walk and you'll lose it.....right! like i haven't tried my whole life. My big question is does anyone regret having their sleeve done? If so, why....thanks for the info. I go for my seminar in 1 1/2 weeks.[/quote']

I am almost at 4 weeks out, I am thrilled, shrinking every week, friends and family say it looks like I have the monkey off my back. I was very fearful, almost cancelled. Thank God I did not. I hope your family supports u soon, my first week post op was difficult, remember, just eat 1 ounce at a time until you tolerate that well, then try 2 oz.

I also posted this thread 5 months ago.... I am now 4 months post op and have lost 60#. From size XXL to M and size 18 pants to 10!!!! It is major surgery and I did get a bacteria infection after the surgery, but was all better after antibiotics. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I sure don't regret it! I just had it done at the begining of the month. I have been a professional yo-yoer all my life and decided enough is enough! It only gets harder to loose as we age and for once I want a solution that will help me the rest of my life. My Dad sure knew it because he had gone through what I have been going through my whole life so he even paid for me to have this done.

Sure, the day after surgery I was like, "What the hell did I do to myself". But now- 16 pounds lost, not feeling hungry all the frickin' time and getting full with a 1/2 a cup of Soup. Wow does it feel nice to feel full after so little. I think the only regret people will have is, why did I wait so long and why didn't I do this years ago. I really wish you the best and only you know what's right for you. The fight is over for me- I am ready for this new life of not hiding or trying the next fad diet.

Congratuations!!!! I am so happy that you're telling me of your situation. It makes me feel so much better about the surgery. Keep up the good work and yeah i can't imagine what it would feel like to be full without a ton of food! I'm really getting excited! Thanks again!

One more thing I forgot, you will find people here who have had problems. You do need to educate yourself about the risks- blood clots, leaks, etc. Looks for the thread that starts what you need to know...

thanks so much for the info!!!