Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deciding On Surgery...does Anyone Regret Having The Vsg?

I heard the same thing! I tried everything... Don't let the discourage you! I got sleeved 8/29/12 lost 32lbs. 243 to 211 in 3 wks... At 2 wk point got off all BP meds that I had been on for 11 years. There is no way eating right and walking could have got those results in 3 weeks! Though I am an advocate for healthy lifestyles I know some people need a push... The sugery is by far not the easy way out... Only a tool to get you started!

Congratulations and good luck on your journey!! Exactly, I need a push....that's a good way to explain it....thanks for responding and keep up the good work!!

I'd do it again tomorrow in a heart beat. I knew family would not be supportive, so I didn't tell them. I'm 12 thousand miles away so i don't have to. The only person I told was my husband, who is sooo supportive, as he's lived it with me for the last 25 years. Almost changed my mind on the operating table! So glad I didn't :)

I wouldn't change a thing! I am so happy with my progress, but I have learned at 6 months post op that carbs are still bad for me and they mess up my hormones. I wish I wouldn't have let the carb-creep happen so quickly.

I wish I had made this decision 10-15 years ago.

Congratulations!!!! Thank you for replying. Our numbers look almost exactly the same! Well your starting numbers look like me now....can't imagine being 40-50 pounds down in 6 months....i think i would cry every day!!! keep up the good work!!

I would do it over again in a second. I'm 5 months out and weighed today... I'm down 100 pounds. I've had not one problem. I eat something if I really want to. I am losing a little slower now I've only got like 30 pounds to go. But this is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I wish I would've done it years sooner. Just know it's not easy. You have to choose better food. Choose to be a better you. I workout 4 days a week. But without the sleeve, I would've never gotten to this point. It's not an easy decision. Do it for you. Not for anyone else.

Thanks for responding....congratulations on your journey!! maybe soon i can say the same!

If we're being completely honest, I'd say that everyone regrets it somewhere in the first 4 weeks, kinda like 'what the hell was I thinking doing this to myself' moment. But, after you get past that (it lasted 1 day for me) the regrets go away for probably 99% of us. Then, the only thing you regret is that you let yourself get to the point that you needed this kind of help.

I am 5'6" tall and started my journey at 373lbs. I wore a 56" waist jeans and a 5x-6x shirt. I was sleeved on June 5 this year. I am currently 251lbs, I just bought a pair of jeans from the thrift store yesterday that were 42" waist and I wear 2x shirts comfortably and can wear 1x but, I like looser clothes. I also ran a 5 k last month with my 14 yr old son. My kids can hug me and grasp their hand behind my back for the first time in their lives. And I could go on and on and on about how much I DON'T regret this choice.

Like they said in earlier posts, this isn't easy, but, I've dieted several times. Some were successful, but when you hit the wall and give up, it all comes back. This way, when you hit that wall (we call them stalls) you can't just give up, and when you stick to the program, the weight starts coming off again. I work out 5 days a week, plus do walking. I see results now a lot better than before.

As far as food goes, I'm around 3 months out, and I can enjoy any food I want except for some breads. I am a spicy food LOVER, and thankfully, I am still able to enjoy the heat, though occasionally, I do get heartburn a little easier than I used to.

I would do this again everyday and twice on Sunday if it meant I could have this success.

WOW, that's all i can say....no, really Congratulations!! I am so happy for you. I really appreciate you responding to me. I think i understand all of the changes i will have to make and am up for them i believe. Just wish my family would me a little more supportive. only one more question for you. What does everyone mean by foods they can't eat? Like, make them sick or what?

WOW, that's all i can say....no, really Congratulations!! I am so happy for you. I really appreciate you responding to me. I think i understand all of the changes i will have to make and am up for them i believe. Just wish my family would me a little more supportive. only one more question for you. What does everyone mean by foods they can't eat? Like, make them sick or what?

'foods they can't eat' is generally something that your sleeve does not tolerate very well. not so much a medical restriction, but, a personal tolerance restriction. i am one of the very very fortunate sleevers. i have had practically NO complications through the whole journey, my recovery was pretty smooth after the first week, and now, at 3 months out, i can honestly tolerate any food that i've tried with the exception of some breads. when i eat some breads, it feels like i swallowed a brick and it feels like its stuck in there for a while. it doesnt make me sick, but it is uncomfortable so, for now, i avoid it. maybe in a few months, but hey, i have substitutes for bread and it's all good.

it seems like the whole 'foods i can't eat' thing is different for each person. some have a difficult time with spicy foods, others can eat a volcano but not be able to tolerate dairy. unfortunately, there is no way to know until you make the plunge. many of us also have out taste buds change on us. for example, i LOVE cauliflower now. i tried it in the past and spit it out. maybe this is a mental thing, maybe not. but some things that i used to really like, even the thought of it makes me want to spit.

and hey, dont worry about your family not supporting you. yeah, i know it sucks, but in the end, it's all because of ignorance and them not being educated in the facts of the surgery. once they see that you can live a normal life afterward, and be healthy, they will come around. when many people think of wls surgery, they think of the rny patients who lose a ton, but look sickly because of malabsorbtion. sleevers dont get that. we absorb all the nutrients, so, we tend to not get that sickly look. when they see the new you down the line, they will come around.

i'm wishing you great luck on your journey

I would do it over again 100X! I have lost 75 lbs in 5 months. I have had no complications other than gallbladder from rapid weight loss. Other than waking up in pain in my hospital room after recovery, in pain and heaving from nausea, I have had no regrets. At that moment I thought, WTH did I do to myself? But it passed by that night and I was fine. Got pain under control as well as nausea. I didn't expect pain or nausea so prepare yourself for immediately postop. You may be one of the ones that has no pain etc, i thought i would be, but be prepared mentally.

'foods they can't eat' is generally something that your sleeve does not tolerate very well. not so much a medical restriction, but, a personal tolerance restriction. i am one of the very very fortunate sleevers. i have had practically NO complications through the whole journey, my recovery was pretty smooth after the first week, and now, at 3 months out, i can honestly tolerate any food that i've tried with the exception of some breads. when i eat some breads, it feels like i swallowed a brick and it feels like its stuck in there for a while. it doesnt make me sick, but it is uncomfortable so, for now, i avoid it. maybe in a few months, but hey, i have substitutes for bread and it's all good.

it seems like the whole 'foods i can't eat' thing is different for each person. some have a difficult time with spicy foods, others can eat a volcano but not be able to tolerate dairy. unfortunately, there is no way to know until you make the plunge. many of us also have out taste buds change on us. for example, i LOVE cauliflower now. i tried it in the past and spit it out. maybe this is a mental thing, maybe not. but some things that i used to really like, even the thought of it makes me want to spit.

and hey, dont worry about your family not supporting you. yeah, i know it sucks, but in the end, it's all because of ignorance and them not being educated in the facts of the surgery. once they see that you can live a normal life afterward, and be healthy, they will come around. when many people think of wls surgery, they think of the rny patients who lose a ton, but look sickly because of malabsorbtion. sleevers dont get that. we absorb all the nutrients, so, we tend to not get that sickly look. when they see the new you down the line, they will come around.

i'm wishing you great luck on your journey

Thanks!! That makes so much more sense now. Again i really appreciate your time for answering my questions and thanks for the support. i am starting to think that i can get enough support on this forum to make up for the family support that's not there now....:)

I would do it over again 100X! I have lost 75 lbs in 5 months. I have had no complications other than gallbladder from rapid weight loss. Other than waking up in pain in my hospital room after recovery, in pain and heaving from nausea, I have had no regrets. At that moment I thought, WTH did I do to myself? But it passed by that night and I was fine. Got pain under control as well as nausea. I didn't expect pain or nausea so prepare yourself for immediately postop. You may be one of the ones that has no pain etc, i thought i would be, but be prepared mentally.

Thank you so much for the info!! Congratulations on your loss!!! Keepup the good work!

oldmusicbox,

Wow, your pre-op numbers are really close to mine! My surgery is in about a month, and stories like yours and countless others on this site give me such great motivation. I know it will still be hard work, but with this community's and my family's support I know I will succeed. WE will succeed!

ZERO regrets!!! I'll be 6 months out on the 3rd of October... and I am 72% to goal... amazing <3