Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel Like I'm Going To Lose It Trying To Decide

Hi I'm 51 yrs old and I have a bmi of 38 and would like to lose about 70 pounds. I am all done with my pre op classes, tests, meetings ect.. I went on Fri to get a date for my surgery and went from thinking I would have a Lap Band to walking out with a date of Oct 10th to have the Sleeve. I was all for it when I was talking to the surgeon and now I'm scared to death. My family thinks it's crazy. My friends think its' drastic. The surgeon told me that the Sleeve is becoming more popular now than the Band. He said I was a good candidate for it. And now I can't sleep worrying about making the right decision. Am I losing it or is this too drastic. I'm scared of making the wrong decision. What will life be like with so little of a stomach? What about the ulcers I hear about or leaking complications. I know it is a personal decision. But how the heck can I make it not rearlly knowing how it will be. What if it's too hard? These are the question going through my head constantly.

Just venting. Hope someone can relate

Thankyou

P.S. I've been dieting since I was 15 and so tired of being fat. I have made it to goal only 2 times in all the years of dieting and it felt so good. I want that feeling back

I am 49 years old and I walked in to my first appointment thinking I would have lapband, on August 15th, I had the sleeve. After some research, this is what I learned, 33% of all lapbands eventually have to be removed, they become ineffective because there is only so much tightening they can do. Many people who have the band gain back a high percentage of their weight over time. I am 4'11' and needed to lose about 70 pounds. Read everything you can find on both surgeries. I felt like I had done so much research I could of assisted with the surgery. I can tell you for certain, I have not one regert having the sleeve done, I would do it again tomorrow.

There will always be someone who thinkgs its crazy or drastic, but its your skin you have to live in. For me, I was not comfortable in my own skin and today 5 1/2 weeks post op, I feel the best I have in years. Your right, its a personal decision that you have to make, so dont let the feelings of others get in your way. I am

I am 37 and was considering lab band 2 years ago when I had the highest weight. But after doing the huge research I just realize that lab band is not for me. I heard a lot about complication with food stuck. and because I am a meat lover I decided not to do it and start nutrisystem. I lost and after I gain back. When I met the Lady who I knew, I knew she did the wls and I saw the progress I asked her what she did and she actually introduce me to sleeve. I did the research and decided that this is exactly what I need. after conversation with my surgeon he just said the same. I know that sleeve is new and there is no long term result but I believe in it. and I think it is the best what I can choose for myself. I am still only 2 weeks post op so cannot tell a lot about after experience but there is no regret so far.

Hi,

I currently had the lap band and am getting a revision to the sleeve on October 2.

I have had the lap band and if I had to do it all over again, I would not have it.

It is very hard to comply with the rules of the band. You have to cut up your food in the smallest

pieces you can imagine. I could not eat many foods. I could not eat dense foods like chicken.< /p>

I could not eat one bite of chicken for lunch; yet I could eat a bunch of crackers.

I had vomitting issues, pain like you would not believe. I never felt full, only stuck or unstuck.

I would not recommend the band.

Up until the day of surgery I was scared to death over whether I had made the right decision. But I knew I could not continue as I was. I have never regretted having the sleeve, I only wish it had been around 20 years ago, so I could have had it when I was a lot younger. I am now 6 months post-op and wake up each day knowing I am getting healthier, and I feel better than I have in years. Fear is a normal emotion in the face of the unknown. You simply have to decide what you want the most.

Hi I'm 51 yrs old and I have a bmi of 38 and would like to lose about 70 pounds. I am all done with my pre op classes' date=' tests, meetings ect.. I went on Fri to get a date for my surgery and went from thinking I would have a Lap Band to walking out with a date of Oct 10th to have the Sleeve. I was all for it when I was talking to the surgeon and now I'm scared to death. My family thinks it's crazy. My friends think its' drastic. The surgeon told me that the Sleeve is becoming more popular now than the Band. He said I was a good candidate for it. And now I can't sleep worrying about making the right decision. Am I losing it or is this too drastic. I'm scared of making the wrong decision. What will life be like with so little of a stomach? What about the ulcers I hear about or leaking complications. I know it is a personal decision. But how the heck can I make it not rearlly knowing how it will be. What if it's too hard? These are the question going through my head constantly.

Just venting. Hope someone can relate

Thankyou

P.S. I've been dieting since I was 15 and so tired of being fat. I have made it to goal only 2 times in all the years of dieting and it felt so good. I want that feeling back[/quote']

Hi Joy

I was sleeved on 1/18/12. I'm down 60 lbs. One major reason I chose the sleeve instead of the band was all the monthly doctor visits you have to go to with the band. As you begin to lose weight with the band the dr has to fill it with saline. Every month! Sometimes they get it right and sometimes they don't - causing you to be ultra uncomfortable or worse- nauseous. I wanted weight loss surgery but I didn't want to have to go to follow up meetings. I'm delighted with my progress so far and I'm feeling much more energetic. I'm off all meds and look much better in clothes. Don't mess around with the band. It's too complicated. The sleeve is the way to go. It's so simple. Honestly. Don't over think it. I had mine done in Mexico. I am loving life!!

Good luck. :-))

When I started this journey in May I was determined to have Lap-band. Like a friend said.. "why cut out part of a perfectly healthy organ?" So after meeting with the surgeon and hearing the presentation I decided to research the long term effects of band and sleeve. I joined this forum and it's "sister" lap-band forum and hit the complications boards. After hearing the horror stories on the band forum and seeing how many more complications there seemed to be I decided the sleeve was for me. I remember one lady saying she was hungry all the time but could barely swallow Water (even with just a tiny fill). Then a coworker of my husband is a year out. My husband said he watched him at lunch one day take an hour to struggle and get two bites down before he just gave up. Sure they say it's reversible but then I saw how many people had scar tissue even after removal that caused them problems. I'm not trying to make up your mind but do what I did. Check out both boards.

I am at the same BMI as you I believe by the time I am done with the preop stuff I should be around a 35 to 37 BMI and I am determined to have this urgery I am exhausted and so tired of constantly hurting and having diabetes... I just wish I could be done with everything already

Hi Joy,

I'm 49 and am currently going through the process for a sleeve. I can definitely relate with being a human yo-yo. It's no fun. I want to get healthy and be able to enjoy life more...especially when the time comes for me to retire from working. I want to have my health to travel and hopefully have grandkids to keep up with by then.

I'm opting for the sleeve because I want something permanent to restrict the amount of food I put in it. Hopefully this will help me catch myself before I gain all the weight back again as I've done too many times to even count.

Good luck with your decision!

I am so happy my surgeon talked me out of the lap band and into the sleeve! I was sleeved 11 months ago (at age 58) and today (exactly one year to the day I signed up for this forum!) I hit goal weight! I've never looked back and have never been happier. If you are on the fence, keep reading this forum, asking questions, reading one or two or three blogs regularly and then at some point, you will know you are ready or if it's right for you. For me, there was no other option and I have just had the most fascinating journey of my life. I wrote about it on my blog today. Yes, only you can decide, but I can tell you, I was ready long before I decided and once I did there was no stopping my enthusiasm for this wonderful choice we now have presented to us. It's a gift for a better, longer life.

I am so happy my surgeon talked me out of the lap band and into the sleeve! I was sleeved 11 months ago (at age 58) and today (exactly one year to the day I signed up for this forum!) I hit goal weight! I've never looked back and have never been happier. If you are on the fence' date=' keep reading this forum, asking questions, reading one or two or three blogs regularly and then at some point, you will know you are ready or if it's right for you. For me, there was no other option and I have just had the most fascinating journey of my life. I wrote about it on my blog today. Yes, only you can decide, but I can tell you, I was ready long before I decided and once I did there was no stopping my enthusiasm for this wonderful choice we now have presented to us. It's a gift for a better, longer life.[/quote']

Congratulations! You look terrific! I was just sleeved last Thurs. I also had a pretty big hiatal hernia fixed at the same time. Broke down crying (mini pity party) every day since! Im still uncomfortable with so much gas pain and other than Water, all my Protein options taste horrendous! I'm only getting 35-40 gms. of Protein in a day, if that! I'm praying I can move on to full liquids after surgeon visit on Tuesday. I know I have to stay hydrated and have the protein to be healthy as I lose the weight. Any suggestions?

Just remember the first few weeks can be a bit surreal...I agree, the Protein options are not great, but every day your options expand and things get better. I opted for yogurt drinks and stirred in some unflavored protein; that seemed to help. Then I just started putting it in oatmeal, malt-o-meal, creamy Soups, anything to help me get it in; but I never got over 35 grams. Some people will tell you that you MUST; but all I'm saying is that I never made it and things have worked out just fine. Try making some Jello or jello pudding too. And be sure to walk to help the gas. Remember, you just had major surgery. Soon you will start seeing the rewards...honest!

You are my Angel! Real answers-fast! I know everyone's healing and pain threshold is different but I got myself in a tizz worrying about Protein grams! At this point with all the gas, I'm lucky anything will even go down my throat to begin with! It's 4:30 am and I just did about 5 minutes of marching in place while pumping my arms toget some more air out-it seems like an endless battle! Just my regular breathing is adding more gas! WTH!?! I feel like once I can tolerate reg. liquids or yogurt the burping will simmer down. I need more info on my hiatal hernia surgery. I didn't even know I had one (I had a total of 3-hiatal, belly button and lower ab -c-section area! I'm like a can of biscuit dough bursting through the seams!) he could only repair hiatal, I get to have the others repaired when I've lost weight (he said 100 lbs.!)-can't wait for more surgery, this is so much fun!! Peace, doll!

Hi Holly.....feeling better today???

QofC

You are my Angel! Real answers-fast! I know everyone's healing and pain threshold is different but I got myself in a tizz worrying about Protein grams! At this point with all the gas, I'm lucky anything will even go down my throat to begin with! It's 4:30 am and I just did about 5 minutes of marching in place while pumping my arms toget some more air out-it seems like an endless battle! Just my regular breathing is adding more gas! WTH!?! I feel like once I can tolerate reg. Liquids or yogurt the burping will simmer down. I need more info on my hiatal hernia surgery. I didn't even know I had one (I had a total of 3-hiatal, belly button and lower ab -c-section area! I'm like a can of biscuit dough bursting through the seams!) he could only repair hiatal, I get to have the others repaired when I've lost weight (he said 100 lbs.!)-can't wait for more surgery, this is so much fun!! Peace, doll!

Hi Holly.....feeling better today???

QofC

Hey Queenie! I am feeling wonderful! A little sore, nothing that Tylenol can't handle. Getting in plenty of liquids and Protein. I'm down a total of 13 pounds since surgery - say what?!? If I didn't have a witness when I weighed my self, I wouldnt believe it! Going back to work on Monday. I miss being up and out, but I do tire easily so I'm sure my first week will be a challenge. How are you doing?