Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Weeks Out N Miserable

So my journey has been up n down, I've gotten sick quite often. Some days food is fine, other days it's like death. I don't eat fried food or real sugar, surgeon now put me in medimucil saying I need Fiber, but it tastes horrible. I also picked up smoking (only stopped briefly prior to surgery) n my surgeon is hitting the fan. I have to quit again on top of everything else I have eliminated): is anyone else going through this?? I have lost 36 pounds since 8/15 but it is not worth being miserable!!!

Have you tried the Metamucil capsules? I'm 5 weed out and that's what I take. Sorry you're so miserable. I'm having a hard time with food a nausea but I'm just relying on my Protein Shakes and pushing through.

Thanks Dez, I wasn't sure if Metamucil had capsules! Protein Shakes have made me sick the last two times I had them, I was good in the beginning, now I'm like I a maze. I don't think my head has caught up with my stomach yet! There's a lot of trials and tribulations I'm going through. I can't change it now n I def don't live on regrets soooo it will get better, I'm sure

I never took fiber supplements. Are you have BM issues?

This journey is not always easy and sorry to hear you are miserable. I agree, to be healthier you really do need to stop smoking as this will not help your skin as you lose the weight.

The way I looked at the first six months was I would eat/drink anything I had to stay healthy and lose weight regardless of the tedium or horrid taste. I stuck to under 30 carbs a day and over 60 gms of Protein. Took my Vitamin supplements and Calcium supplements daily too.

You need to keep reaching out and finding things you can eat. I have more Protein shakes I couldn't stomach that I ended up throwing out. Figured out that I was lactose intolerance at a month out until about four months out when I could stand milk again. Also, I took a PPI to reduce stomach acid. Are you on a PPI? Eating slowing is also key. Try a clear Protein, like Isopure. Not delicious but yet they provided 40 grams of protein in a single bottle. So I drank half in morning and half in afternoon. Again, not delicious but I only ate/drank for my health.

So, why does your surgeon feel you MUST take fiber?

Forgot to mention that Costco/SAMs club Premier brand Protein Shakes are one of only drinks that work for me. 30 grams Protein in 11oz

He also said I could be lactose intolerant but sugar free ice cream, Greek yogurt, n cheese work for me. I can't drink milk, it tastes horrible to me n I use to love it, so who knows.....

Dez at 5 weeks, what r u eating n how much??

I had a pretty hard time with BM when I first switched to solid foods. First I tried morals and that kind of worked. However, it was only treating the symptoms. Next I switched to fiber gummies. These have been working really well so far. They are made for weight loss and sugar free. I picked them up from target, but I forget the name of them. They are easy to eat after meals and taste pretty good. The bottle recommends 2 a day, but I usually have 3 after each meal and, voila, no more issues with BM. I feel I need to take them because it is really my only source of fiber. The good part is that I am now getting to the point of 2 or 3 BM a day, after meals. Probably TMI, but I am just sharing what worked for me.

Hi! I hope you feel better. I have not had my surgery yet, but I'm going in this Thursday, and my nutritionist gave me alist of things to use for fiber, metamucil was one of them. I have always had problems with Constipation and on top of that I am lactose intolerant. I know what you mean about the metamucil, I can drink it now, so I know I won't be able to drink it after my sleeve. The other supplements on the list were: Benefiber, sugar free Citrucel, and Fiber Choice Sugar free chewables. Citrucel in my opinion taste just like Metamucil, gross, so I have tried the Fiber Choice Sugar free chewables, and I am pleasantly surprised, they taste pretty good, also make sure your drinking enough Water, because I notice with me, no matter how much fiber I have eaten, if there is not enough water in there to move things along your still uncomfortable. Hope this helps and that you feel better :)

@ andychris, my boyfriend just reminded me that I have digestive advantage probiotic gummies that says it helps with abdominal n digestive issues, is this similar?

Thanks Lady K n good luck on Thursday, u will do amazing (:

I had a pretty hard time with BM when I first switched to solid foods. First I tried morals and that kind of worked. However' date=' it was only treating the symptoms. Next I switched to Fiber gummies. These have been working really well so far. They are made for weight loss and sugar free. I picked them up from target, but I forget the name of them. They are easy to eat after meals and taste pretty good. The bottle recommends 2 a day, but I usually have 3 after each meal and, voila, no more issues with BM. I feel I need to take them because it is really my only source of fiber. The good part is that I am now getting to the point of 2 or 3 BM a day, after meals. Probably TMI, but I am just sharing what worked for me.[/quote']

I thought we w erent allowed to have gummies after surgery, but i am reading that a few peopke on here do! They are lifesavers! I hope i will be able to take them eventually. A friend who had the bypass got one stuck and had to have it surgically removed. Maybe sleeve is different/better in regards to gummies!!!!!! I hope so!!!!

I drink Muscle Milk Protein Shake and this, daily. http://www.benefiber.com/products/benefiberStickPacksKiwi.shtml It was my saving grace and I am getting my Water intake at the same time. I swear to you It is the same consistency as water.. i love it.

Really, I have never heard about no gummies and have been taking them for about 2 months. They work really well and taste good. If there is any concern about them getting stuck, be sure to chew chew chew until it is pretty fine. My sleeve has been pretty good. Yup, trusty sleeve o' steel.

Really' date=' I have never heard about no gummies and have been taking them for about 2 months. They work really well and taste good. If there is any concern about them getting stuck, be sure to chew chew chew until it is pretty fine. My sleeve has been pretty good. Yup, trusty sleeve o' steel.[/quote']

I take the gummies too! It was approved and recommended by my program once on solid food.

I had a pretty hard time with BM when I first switched to solid foods. First I tried morals and that kind of worked. However' date=' it was only treating the symptoms. Next I switched to fiber gummies. These have been working really well so far. They are made for weight loss and sugar free. I picked them up from target, but I forget the name of them. They are easy to eat after meals and taste pretty good. The bottle recommends 2 a day, but I usually have 3 after each meal and, voila, no more issues with BM. I feel I need to take them because it is really my only source of fiber. The good part is that I am now getting to the point of 2 or 3 BM a day, after meals. Probably TMI, but I am just sharing what worked for me.[/quote']

I was doing great. I had my surgery 8/23 so this is my 1 month mark. I have had a terrible time with gout and for the last 11 days I have been taking indomethacin and no stomach issues until 2 days ago. Now everything including Clear liquids hurts when it hits my stomach and I have to run to the bathroom. I quit the medicine 2 days ago when this started. I am guessing the meds caused it. But right now I can't keep anything in. Any thoughts or anyone have any similar issues?