Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling W/ Everything

For some reason my taste bud is really off to the point that I really don't want to eat..when I don't try to eat

just a lil bit it seems to get stuck ( if that make any sense)... I am just not meeting my min when it come

to eating or drinking. I want to get in the gym so bad but what do you do when your energy level

isn't were it should be so that you can function....

Don't go to the gym. Walk around your house, and rest when you aren't doing that. Have you tried to have a sip of crystal lite or Water before eating, to wet the esophagus....I have to do that sometimes...even without a sleeve.

Have you tried taking smaller sips of Protein Shake?...or watering it down a little? Make yourself get that intake...work on it all day long...because you know it's good for you.

Have you been back to the doctor or called them about the problem, yet?

When I'm not getting enough liquids in, my stomach gets swollen and it gets more difficult. Keep sipping every 10 minutes to get hydrated. Also check in with your surgeon's office to keep them informed. :)

The reason why your taste buds are off is because your body is in a state of ketosis. Google it or do a site search on here for lots of good posts.

You're burning fat in ketosis, but it causes acetone to be secreted in your mouth which is just nasty. Once you get your carbs and calories up, it goes away and your taste return.

You just have to push through it. Drink and eat because you HAVE to, not want to ...

It seems that it is just getting hard to get my liquid in along with the Protein, I tried to eat chicken 3 x but it didn't work, then eggs but it leave that milk taste in my mouth and I hate milk but I try to drink it to get the Protein in, I use to love crystal light that was all I drank but it seem since the surgery that it is totally to sweet. I guess i need to go back to the drawing line to figure this out because I have come to far to let something like this beat me.

thanks for your advise Cindi

Thank you everyone, you are giving me some good information to look into

The day I had my surgery, the first thing they gave me to drink was water...and it was the best tasting Water I ever had...tasted like sugar Water. So I asked if it was plain tap water or if they put sugar in it...and it was tap water...but to me was sweet and delicious....so weird! Then the next day...they gave me the same water...and ice...and it tasted just like tap water...icky. Other than that, my taste buds have been normal.

Lipton makes some powdered mixes that are sugar free and not too sweet. I have a raspberry green tea Lipton mixed up in a jug in my fridge right now. It's not that sweet. I'm still liking mostly the fruit punch crystal lite.

Maybe brewing some regular mint tea to refresh your palate now and then would help. That tea doesn't need sugar, either. I'm not sure if there is a Decaf one...but probably there is....and if you have a little of the regular now and then, i doubt it would hurt you.....or maybe have a tic tac.

I had expected all these taste changes...but I don't have them. I guess that's a good thing. I had expected lots of that, and much less pain, but I got the opposite.

You can also try adding more Water to your Crystal Lite than it calls for to help disolve more of that sweet taste away. Also remember that if you still drink a Protein Shake, that counts towards your liquid for the day. Hang in there!